Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mitchell Starc out of ashes

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Johnno's done well when he's come back from being dropped in the past hasn't he? I reckon they should play him at the Gabba, drop him for Adelaide and then recall him again for the WACA to watch him rip up in the two games he plays. Then drop him from sight forever more. Although that of course is ridiculous and will not happen.

I don't think Johnson should play test cricket for Australia ever again, not even at the WACA. Erratic isn't what we need right now. Even if he excels at the WACA, that inevitably just sets up further problems down the line when he continues to be selected based on that performance. I just don't see how having Johnson in the squad would be beneficial to the progression of this team in any way. We've moved on from him, thankfully, I'm hoping it stays that way.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Harris, Siddle, Faulkner imo

(face)
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

haze will play before those clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    God I hope Johnson doesn't play for Australia again. I've said it before, but Mitch Johnson is the ****ty boyfriend of Australian Cricket. We got together and at the start things were great, but then a few cracks appear. But it's just an accident, he's under a lot of stress - he's not like that most of the time, we swear. But soon the flowers and the chocolates are few and far between. It's pretty obvious to everyone that he's bad news, but we still can't see it. Remember those first few dates? They were great.

After a while though, to everyone's relief, we finally come to realise that we're better off without him. Finally, after years of anguish and false hopes, we get rid of him for good. Things are looking up; we've got a new lease on life. But his replacements start to falter a bit after a while. Suddenly we're lonely again, and we get to thinking; you know what... Maybe Mitch wasn't that bad after all. It was really nice when he surprised us with those flowers and chocolates. I mean, it was Valentine's Day so he pretty much had to, but still. And everytime we stalk him on Facebook he seems to be doing pretty well.

So go ahead and bring him back. The first few dates will probably be all fancy restaurants and flowers. But everyone else knows it's only a matter of time before he slips up and we're back to square one, wishing we'd just blocked him from Facebook the first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Mitch Johnson is the ****ty boyfriend of Australian Cricket. We got together and at the start things were great, but then a few cracks appear. But it's just an accident, he's under a lot of stress - he's not like that most of the time, we swear. But soon the flowers and the chocolates are few and far between. It's pretty obvious to everyone that he's bad news, but we still can't see it. Remember those first few dates? They were great.

After a while though, to everyone's relief, we finally come to realise that we're better off without him. Finally, after years of anguish and false hopes, we get rid of him for good. Things are looking up; we've got a new lease on life. But his replacements start to falter a bit after a while. Suddenly we're lonely again, and we get to thinking; you know what... Maybe Mitch wasn't that bad after all. It was really nice when he surprised us with those flowers and chocolates. I mean, it was Valentine's Day so he pretty much had to, but still. And everytime we stalk him on Facebook he seems to be doing pretty well.
    We're not still talking about Mitchell Johnson here are we Andy...........

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The Aussie conditioning staff really want killing tho, don't they?

I know stress fractures are an occupational hazard for quicks, especially tyros who maybe haven't finished growing, but now literally every great white hope of Australian seam is out with a back injury.

To paraphrase Lady Bracknell, to lose one seamer to a stress fracture might be considered unfortunate, two begins to look like carelessness.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    blah blah blah young seamers are valuable to this sort of stuff blah blah blah our young seamers are being exposed to international cricket at a rate not really seen before as well as being expected to be regular players blah blah blah
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

hazers hazlewood imo

actually on second thought gugters vun dur gugten a good option

I liked Bird, Hazelwood's ok. Johnson at least has some pace that can worry the poms, really the only thing going for him over the others.
    Sidds, Harris, Bird and Patto. is what I'd prefer than Lyon. But that won't happen. So take out Bird if Patto's not fit
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Warner 3.Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Sarfraz 7. De Kock+ 8. Neesham 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    If we're looking at a hierarchy of Australian quicks, it would be something like this IMO:

Harris
    Pattinson
    Siddle
    Starc
    Cummins
    Bird
    Hazlewood
    Faulkner
    Sayers
    Copeland
    Hilfenhaus
    Coulter-Nile
    Cutting
    Butterworth
    Johnson

We genuinely do not need to revert to Johnson - I would happily take any three of those 14 paceman listed before Mitch.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    So that's three stress fractures to the back that seamers got this series, Bird getting a sore one, plus Cummins doing his in SA, right?

It really is horrific.

If Patto isn't fit for the Gabba, my three would be; Harris, Bird & Siddle. Not really sure who the back up would be, might be early season Shield form dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Scott Copperfield for the Gabba.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If we're looking at a hierarchy of Australian quicks, it would be something like this IMO:

Harris
    Pattinson
    Siddle
    Starc
    Cummins
    Bird
    Hazlewood
    Faulkner
    Sayers
    Copeland
    Hilfenhaus
    Coulter-Nile
    Cutting
    Butterworth
    Johnson

We genuinely do not need to revert to Johnson - I would happily take any three of those 14 paceman listed before Mitch.
    Did Johnson play in India? Because otherwise there's no justification for him being so low?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information