• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Only ODI - Ireland v England

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very happy with Bopara scoring runs, means he's a better chance of playing in Australia.

FBU

International Debutant
Very happy with Bopara scoring runs, means he's a better chance of playing in Australia.
Will he get runs against the Australian bowlers in the ODIs?
I am hoping Woakes gets that number 6 spot in Australia.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
How boring is it in 2013 that so many people are going on about the nationality?

Like it's just so f*cking boring that all these people/press are going on and on about it. You would think it was the first time it happened.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I'm probably opening myself up for getting flamed here, but serious question......... if Rankin was born in Londonderry doesn't that mean Ireland pinched him in the first place??

And agree with Jack......shouldn't really even be a discussion nowadays, never mind such a prominent one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know I'm probably opening myself up for getting flamed here, but serious question......... if Rankin was born in Londonderry doesn't that mean Ireland pinched him in the first place??
Nah it doesn't. In cricket terms, England represent England and Wales - not the United Kingdom - and Ireland represent the whole island of Ireland - not just the republic. That's why the flag of the Irish cricket team is this:

And not the Irish tricolour bars.

I don't see why anyone would flame you for it though; it was a genuine question.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah it doesn't. In cricket terms, England represent England and Wales - not the United Kingdom - and Ireland represent the whole island of Ireland - not just the republic. That's why the flag of the Irish cricket team is this:

And not the Irish tricolour bars.

I don't see why anyone would flame you for it though; it was a genuine question.
Richard to comment

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You should appreciate that no one is digging up some of the comments you've made about Bopara in the not too distant past.
Yea, finally after those hit chance-laden centuries against West Indies he's managed one against Ireland, only has 129 international caps. What a ****ing hero. Not to forget the way he finishes every big match - like when he got a long hop here:

Dilhara Fernando to Ravi Bopara last ball - YouTube

Or when he got a long hop from Ishant Sharma.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
Prince EWS nailed it with his answer, although a lot of people born in Northern Ireland would still look to the England cricket team as their national side as opposed to the Irish cricket team, just to confuse things more.

I don't think Cricketweb is the place to try and sort out the nationality riddle in this country/island though which are probably a good 800 years old!

Furball

Evil Scotsman

And agree with Jack......shouldn't really even be a discussion nowadays, never mind such a prominent one.
Rankin was born in Londonderry...

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, the reason that cricket, rugby etc are played as all-Ireland sides is because the sport in Ireland has always been governed on an all-island basis from Dublin.

Football is the exception because prior to partition the Irish FA governed from Belfast. After partition the clubs based in the Republic broke away and formed the FAI.