• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Twenty20 at The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Hooksey

Banned
England squad

Broad*
Bopara
Briggs
Buttler
Carberry
Dernbach
Finn
Hales
Lumb
Morgan
Rankin
Root
Tredwell
Wright

You'd expect Carberry and Briggs to miss out.
Good thing England have replaced all their 2.5 runs per over boys with batsmen who can tick the score along.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good thing England have replaced all their 2.5 runs per over boys with batsmen who can tick the score along.
notsureifsrs.jpg

Getting rid of notorious stonewaller Pietersen certainly helps. You'd think they'd have kept Anderson though, after having bowled with an economy of 3.16.

Hooksey

Banned
notsureifsrs.jpg

Getting rid of notorious stonewaller Pietersen certainly helps. You'd think they'd have kept Anderson though, after having bowled with an economy of 3.16.
I'd have Kevin Pietersen in the team myself. I can understand why people dislike the guy - add me to the list - but he can sure as hell play. Any time anyone wants to doubt Pietersen, have a look at his record and compare it to any other England player in history..

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd have Kevin Pietersen in the team myself. I can understand why people dislike the guy - add me to the list - but he can sure as hell play. Any time anyone wants to doubt Pietersen, have a look at his record and compare it to any other England player in history..
I was making a point. England have left out most of their Test players because these matches aren't considered worth the effort or risk of injury to them. Not because they bat with the same approach to all formats. No one does that.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really do actually dislike having an irrational hatred of an England player, but

Dernbach actually makes the T20 side on merit, as scary as that is.
At the last t-20 World Cup, I think I'm right in saying, he had the worst economy-rate of any death-bowler in the comp. International players are learning his variations, he's become hittable in al forms. He had a decent domestic record this year, but Topley and Willey were better. Give them a go, variation of the left-armer, and Willey can bat. So can Napier, no-one expects them to score big in Internationals, but a quick 10 off 4 balls can make a difference in this game.

It just smacks of selectors being to stubborn to admit they've totally wasted time and money, and supporters going "meh it's t-20 let him play", if a Test prospect plays and ****s it up, and that ruins him, he probably wasn't up too much anyway.

Give other guys a go, who knows they maybe worse, but they may give us something better.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You incorrectly used the plural of variation.

Seriously though, I actually think he's serviceable in T20, when people are trying to smash him nearly every ball, because he does actually have some tools that make it hard to do so. Bowls decent pace, can get some reverse and has a decent slower ball. He gets found out in ODI's because he lacks accuracy and is erratic, which, in a format which is still very much play the ball on merit most of the time, is terrible for a bowler. When people are trying to hit everything he bowls for six, the fact that he occasionally gets the line of his deliveries wrong isn't that bad if he can get it somewhat under the bat at good pace.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I really do actually dislike having an irrational hatred of an England player, but

At the last t-20 World Cup, I think I'm right in saying, he had the worst economy-rate of any death-bowler in the comp. International players are learning his variations, he's become hittable in al forms. He had a decent domestic record this year, but Topley and Willey were better. Give them a go, variation of the left-armer, and Willey can bat. So can Napier, no-one expects them to score big in Internationals, but a quick 10 off 4 balls can make a difference in this game.

It just smacks of selectors being to stubborn to admit they've totally wasted time and money, and supporters going "meh it's t-20 let him play", if a Test prospect plays and ****s it up, and that ruins him, he probably wasn't up too much anyway.

Give other guys a go, who knows they maybe worse, but they may give us something better.
Agreed. I like Dernbach, but it's plainly obvious that he's not good enough at International level currently. He bowled reasonably well in 1 game against NZ this summer, but his few series before that have been awful. Went at over 11 against the West Indies, took 4 wickets 35 with an economy of almost 10 in the World Cup, went at over 9 against India, and 8.91 in NZ. He just isn't good enough. When you've got young bowlers like Topley (21 wickets at 13 economy of 7.5) and Willey (21 wickets at 13; economy of 6.58, plus his runs) performing well, and offering variation with the left-arm angle, and with Willey the added runs, you've got a much better potential package than Dernbach. Amazed England keep giving Jade chances.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So the next World T20 is in 7 months. I'm not the only one who feels like the last one just ended and that the next one is much sooner than it should be, right?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So the next World T20 is in 7 months. I'm not the only one who feels like the last one just ended and that the next one is much sooner than it should be, right?
I don't have a huge problem with it, reckon 4 years between odi/football World Cups are a bit long personally. It only has a limited amount of kudos anyway, hey even England won it once.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm looking forward to it. World cup format is one of few things I like about T20is. Actually, it'd be fun to dispense with bilateral T20Is entirely and have a World T20 every year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, it'd be fun to dispense with bilateral T20Is entirely and have a World T20 every year.
Yeah I've thought that for ages. Well, I was thinking more every two years, but scrapping bilateral games would be great. They bring in too much money for it to actually happen of course but it'd give meaning to T20Is in that teams would actually go in full strength and not use them an international auditions, and there are plenty of high profile franchise domestic competitions and of course ODIs to help select the teams. Even if the ICC made such a decision though, boards would just schedule "unofficial" T20Is anyway, especially in the month leading up to the World T20.

Howe_zat

Audio File
"...And for the final delivery of the Ashes, this is it, it's all on Jade Dernbach..."

I feel a bit ill

King Pietersen

International Captain
I personally think the Ashes should be contested in the T20s from now on
Agreed. I think a points system where the teams play:

1 Test match worth 6 points for a win, 2 for a draw
3 ODi's worth 2 points each
3 T20's worth 2 points each

Most points at the end wins The Ashes.

LOL Jk. That's a ridiculous idea.