• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI's V Australia

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Look's like Carberry will open the batting, potentially with Root or Trott? Pietersen, Bopara, Morgan in the middle order. Luke Wright and Buttler?

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt)

Ravi Bopara (Essex)

Jos Buttler (Somerset)

Michael Carberry (Hampshire)

Steven Finn (Middlesex)

Chris Jordan (Sussex)

Jamie Overton (Somerset)

Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)

Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)

Joe Root (Yorkshire)

Ben Stokes (Durham)

James Tredwell (Kent)

Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

Luke Wright (Sussex)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Michael Carberry
Kevin Pietersen
Jonathan Trott
Eoin Morgan
Joe Root
Ravi Bopara/Luke Wright/Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler
Chris Jordan
James Tredwell
Steven Finn
Boyd Rankin

I presume that's the way they'll go, with Bopara playing if he's fit to bowl, if not, I imagine they'll go with Wright or Stokes. Overton's a bit of a strange selection. Been much more impressive bowlers in the YB40 this year. The likes of Napier, Roland-Jones, Topley, and Harris all out performing him. He's taking his wickets at over 30 a piece, with an economy of well over 6. I presume he must have something, for guys that have seen him bowl, is he any good?

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've not seen him but Atherton seemed to like him on Sky Sports and was talking about him for a potential Ashes plane spot this winter. He must have something about him?

I think we will go

Carberry
Trott
Pietersen
Bopara
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Tredwell
Finn
Rankin
AN Other ? Pick one of the other seamers?

I think Ravi is fit to bowl. He said on T20 finals day he would bowl if Essex were in trouble. I know the ECB have asked Essex not to bowl Ravi.

Howe_zat

Audio File
No Cook, Swann, Bell, Anderson or Broad.
International cricket, everyone. Boo.

Ftr I'd go

Carberry
Pietersen
Trott
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Tredwell
Jordan
Finn
Rankin

~

At least Woakes has got past the 'we'll have a look at him in one-dayers, they don't count" stage, pity there's now three new guys in the same boat.

Is there even the slightest pretence to this any more? Think of someone like Napier consistently snubbed in favour of people like Overton because they might consider him for a winter tour.

International cricket that's really a glorified net. It's ****ed.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
People who were paying upwards of £70-£80 for an ODI are hardly going to be impressed England have left out five star names.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
definitely gotta pick Napier sometime, that guy carried my Essex campaign in Cricket Captain 2005

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'm kinda surprised they rested who they did. Surprised Bell and Cook are rested - although captaincy is taxing, scoring runs isn't particularly tiring and would have thought Cook would have enjoyed the freedom of the ODI's having being strangled in the tests. KP is a surprise given all his injuries this year. Surprised also than 1 or 2 out of Anderson,Broad and Swann didn't at least play some part in the series. There is a decent gap between now and australia and it's always good to not go to long without bowling.

Xanadu

Cricket Spectator
Overton is one of those 'potential' picks, he's tall and he hits the deck hard and he bowls at a fair lick so no worries with this selection and he bats a bit. I like the squad, it's fair reward for players who have done it in county cricket this season. Carberry has been awesome this season and Wright hit another hundred yesterday and again it was something like 100 off 65 balls. Stokes also has had a decent season and people think he's a batting all rounder but the guy bowls at 90mph when he gets going. I'm very excited by this squad, but disappointed Ballance isn't in the Australia ODI series squad, this guy is an International player for sure, I rate him higher than people like Bairstow, Bopara etc. Ballance will be in the Ashes squad to tour Australia, I have no doubts.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pleased with that squad, resting the main players and giving experience to some new ones.
Would you be pleased if you'd paid £80 to watch what is in effect an England A team? I wouldn't.

Just seen a few clips of Overton on Youtube. Looks pretty promising. Good pace, swings the ball, and looks pretty aggressive. I'm sure he'll be a handful in a few years, but can see him getting tonked if he plays this series. Twatto and Warner will be licking their lips at the prospect of facing Jordan and Overton.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would you be pleased if you'd paid £80 to watch what is in effect an England A team? I wouldn't.

Just seen a few clips of Overton on Youtube. Looks pretty promising. Good pace, swings the ball, and looks pretty aggressive. I'm sure he'll be a handful in a few years, but can see him getting tonked if he plays this series. Twatto and Warner will be licking their lips at the prospect of facing Jordan and Overton.
I never pay to watch the shorter stuff, doesn't interest me that much. If people thought we wouldn't be resting players in between the two ashes series then they are a bit ******** so it serves them right.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bopara is an established member of the team now. We've effectively got a back bone of KP, Trott, Root, Bopara, Morgan & Buttler in this squad. They are the experienced players, and they will all play. Add another 5 to that line up and that's your team.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd also stick Tredwell in with that six BTW, but if Swann was in the squad then it would be either or.

Looks to me like Swann being rested in ODI's is becoming a permanent thing. Retirement coming soon?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
At least Woakes has got past the 'we'll have a look at him in one-dayers, they don't count" stage, pity there's now three new guys in the same boat.

Is there even the slightest pretence to this any more? Think of someone like Napier consistently snubbed in favour of people like Overton because they might consider him for a winter tour.

International cricket that's really a glorified net. It's ****ed.
Meh, you might be right, but I think they obviously see something in Overton they like, and are willing to look past performances because they think there's something to work with or he'll mange the step up to international cricket better than most. They did the same with Joe Root in all formats last year and that worked out well.

Spark

Global Moderator
should be an interesting series: the fact that the side that wins the ashes never really shows up mentally for the following ODIs should be nicely balanced out by the fact we're ****.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
People have nailed the team to play Australia, so I'll have a go with the one to play Ireland.

1. Carberry
2. Wright
3. James Taylor
4. Gary Balance
5. Eoin Morgan*
6. Jos Buttler +
7. Ravi Bopara/Ben Stokes
8. James Tredwell
9. Chris Jordan
10. Steven Finn
11. Boyd Rankin

I never thought I'd pick an England ODI side that lacked opening options...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
should be an interesting series: the fact that the side that wins the ashes never really shows up mentally for the following ODIs should be nicely balanced out by the fact we're ****.
Also virtually a new team means that the winning ashes side actually is motivated anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have liked to see Willey in really, but otherwise it's okay.

Much happier to see some new faces, they should have made Bop the cap'n though. Best player lead from the front and all that.

We need to try bowlers we're all saying that our depth in this form of the game is gash, well then let's try these guys. Jordan, Overton and Rankin have serious pace/bounce about them. Stokes will probably get a bowl too.

and no Dernbach, even though I'm sure I gloated about this once before and someone got injured and he was back in.