• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI's V Australia

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also virtually a new team means that the winning ashes side actually is motivated anyway.
That's counted by the fact that the new players aren't as good.

I don't see why they didn't just include Briggs in the Australia squad and make it 15. Would've meant we might've been able to escape the direness which is our seam attack.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I don't see why they didn't just include Briggs in the Australia squad and make it 15. Would've meant we might've been able to escape the direness which is our seam attack.
How do you know until they get a game?

Finn still there and he is a fantastic one day bowler anyway.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not surprised. Bowled woefully in ODi cricket, and is taking List A poles at 71.75 this season, and going at almost 7 an over. Bowled Jade.

I'd have liked to see Willey in the side too. On a real golden streak ATM, could have been the perfect opportunity to give him a go.

91Jmay

International Coach
I am happy with the side, and I have a ticket to Edgbaston. Swann isn't being rest, he just isn't that good at ODI cricket. Bell/Cook aren't really exciting players to watch in ODIs, would rather take a gamble on Carberry/Wright up the top of the order. Would have liked to see David Willey in the squad but overall I am more intrigued to watch now than I would be with the same old names.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain

Whilst not surprised about Briggs (as England don't seem big fans of his) I too would have had Briggs in the squad as Old Trafford, Cardiff and the Rose Bowl can all be 2 spinner type wickets and given the lack of decent fast bowling options.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seems fair enough - only real surprise is Willey, whom I guess is going to be a feeling a little stiff about it this morning...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am happy with the side, and I have a ticket to Edgbaston. Swann isn't being rest, he just isn't that good at ODI cricket. Bell/Cook aren't really exciting players to watch in ODIs, would rather take a gamble on Carberry/Wright up the top of the order. Would have liked to see David Willey in the squad but overall I am more intrigued to watch now than I would be with the same old names.
Swann is our best ODI bowler, IMHO. Yet he clearly isn't going to play them much anymore because of his injuries.

I'm glad they haven't thrown in a token spinner, nobody has been remotely good in the form this year, so if they're not pushing for inclusion don't put them in.

Root will probably bowl a bit.

theegyptian

Given where some of the England players were born I imagine Malcolm Conn will be dusting off his typewriter to make a comment or two. No doubt he will be including Bopara and Carberry in his list of foreigners in the England team.

Spark

Global Moderator
Surely not serious...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well no because it's ODIs that brings in revenue.

England is probably unique in that when Sky buy England's TV rights they're mostly paying for the Test rights.
logistically yes, ODIs bring in the money. But they come at the expense of tests wayyyyyy too often

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Missing those 5 isn't ideal but they could rest even more big names IMO and still get credit in my eyes as there's no Dernbach in there.

theegyptian

You'll be crying out for Dernbach once Overton and Jordan have played a couple of games!

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I have no beef with resting players. Always seems like we're pulling it out of our arses when we come to name our World Cup squad, this time round we've given heaps of players a chance.