Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ODI's V Australia

  1. #16
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    At least Woakes has got past the 'we'll have a look at him in one-dayers, they don't count" stage, pity there's now three new guys in the same boat.

    Is there even the slightest pretence to this any more? Think of someone like Napier consistently snubbed in favour of people like Overton because they might consider him for a winter tour.

    International cricket that's really a glorified net. It's ****ed.
    Meh, you might be right, but I think they obviously see something in Overton they like, and are willing to look past performances because they think there's something to work with or he'll mange the step up to international cricket better than most. They did the same with Joe Root in all formats last year and that worked out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  2. #17
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,235
    should be an interesting series: the fact that the side that wins the ashes never really shows up mentally for the following ODIs should be nicely balanced out by the fact we're ****.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  3. #18
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,288
    People have nailed the team to play Australia, so I'll have a go with the one to play Ireland.

    1. Carberry
    2. Wright
    3. James Taylor
    4. Gary Balance
    5. Eoin Morgan*
    6. Jos Buttler +
    7. Ravi Bopara/Ben Stokes
    8. James Tredwell
    9. Chris Jordan
    10. Steven Finn
    11. Boyd Rankin


    I never thought I'd pick an England ODI side that lacked opening options...

  4. #19
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    should be an interesting series: the fact that the side that wins the ashes never really shows up mentally for the following ODIs should be nicely balanced out by the fact we're ****.
    Also virtually a new team means that the winning ashes side actually is motivated anyway.


  5. #20
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,008
    Would have liked to see Willey in really, but otherwise it's okay.

    Much happier to see some new faces, they should have made Bop the cap'n though. Best player lead from the front and all that.

    We need to try bowlers we're all saying that our depth in this form of the game is gash, well then let's try these guys. Jordan, Overton and Rankin have serious pace/bounce about them. Stokes will probably get a bowl too.

    and no Dernbach, even though I'm sure I gloated about this once before and someone got injured and he was back in.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  6. #21
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,288
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Also virtually a new team means that the winning ashes side actually is motivated anyway.
    That's counted by the fact that the new players aren't as good.

    I don't see why they didn't just include Briggs in the Australia squad and make it 15. Would've meant we might've been able to escape the direness which is our seam attack.

  7. #22
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,288
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    and no Dernbach, even though I'm sure I gloated about this once before and someone got injured and he was back in.
    There's now at least 7 seamers ahead of him in the pecking order. Hurrah!

  8. #23
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    That's counted by the fact that the new players aren't as good.

    I don't see why they didn't just include Briggs in the Australia squad and make it 15. Would've meant we might've been able to escape the direness which is our seam attack.
    How do you know until they get a game?

    Finn still there and he is a fantastic one day bowler anyway.

  9. #24
    International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,708
    Not surprised. Bowled woefully in ODi cricket, and is taking List A poles at 71.75 this season, and going at almost 7 an over. Bowled Jade.

    I'd have liked to see Willey in the side too. On a real golden streak ATM, could have been the perfect opportunity to give him a go.
    www.proudtofight.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    38.3
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    42.6
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

  10. #25
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,863
    I am happy with the side, and I have a ticket to Edgbaston. Swann isn't being rest, he just isn't that good at ODI cricket. Bell/Cook aren't really exciting players to watch in ODIs, would rather take a gamble on Carberry/Wright up the top of the order. Would have liked to see David Willey in the squad but overall I am more intrigued to watch now than I would be with the same old names.

  11. #26
    State Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    That's counted by the fact that the new players aren't as good.

    I don't see why they didn't just include Briggs in the Australia squad and make it 15. Would've meant we might've been able to escape the direness which is our seam attack.
    Whilst not surprised about Briggs (as England don't seem big fans of his) I too would have had Briggs in the squad as Old Trafford, Cardiff and the Rose Bowl can all be 2 spinner type wickets and given the lack of decent fast bowling options.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,839
    Seems fair enough - only real surprise is Willey, whom I guess is going to be a feeling a little stiff about it this morning...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,008
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    I am happy with the side, and I have a ticket to Edgbaston. Swann isn't being rest, he just isn't that good at ODI cricket. Bell/Cook aren't really exciting players to watch in ODIs, would rather take a gamble on Carberry/Wright up the top of the order. Would have liked to see David Willey in the squad but overall I am more intrigued to watch now than I would be with the same old names.
    Swann is our best ODI bowler, IMHO. Yet he clearly isn't going to play them much anymore because of his injuries.

    I'm glad they haven't thrown in a token spinner, nobody has been remotely good in the form this year, so if they're not pushing for inclusion don't put them in.

    Root will probably bowl a bit.

  14. #29
    State Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,945
    Given where some of the England players were born I imagine Malcolm Conn will be dusting off his typewriter to make a comment or two. No doubt he will be including Bopara and Carberry in his list of foreigners in the England team.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,008
    Edit : I see that was your point.
    Last edited by grecian; 27-08-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia
    By Monk in forum Ashes 2013/2014
    Replies: 697
    Last Post: 20-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 30-08-2013, 01:54 AM
  3. Is Australia a Continent called Australia?
    By Goughy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 30-11-2011, 01:59 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-01-2010, 04:55 PM
  5. Australia and Australia A Squads
    By Andre in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •