• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict Australia's 17 man squad for the first test in Australia

Hooksey

Banned
We can tangle ourselves up in semantics or talk cricket. I prefer the latter.

I think Shane Watson will bat at number 3 at the Gabba, and after that, like most others, his position will be reassessed.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The more interesting discussion is on who will be the 6th batter, the batting cover and how many all rounders in the squad. Hopefully they don't draft Maxwell into the squad if Watson and Faulkner are in it.

Hooksey

Banned
The more interesting discussion is on who will be the 6th batter, the batting cover and how many all rounders in the squad. Hopefully they don't draft Maxwell into the squad if Watson and Faulkner are in it.
Number 6 is the quandary for the selectors. The other 5 batsmen choose themselves for the 1st test. If someone was running a book on it I'd say Phil Hughes would be favourite. While Mattinson and Faulkner could surpass him if they make big early season runs. I'm hoping they go with Mattinson myself.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Silk:-O/Hughes
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Warner
Haddin
Starc
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Wade
Zampa:-O
Faulkner
Bird
Johnson:ph34r:

I think this list has enough surprise/astonishment factor to be up there crazily.

Hooksey

Banned
Mitchell Johnson has been the forgotten man of Australian cricket, and he seems destined to be joined by Ed Cowan.

Cowan's first ball duck and 14 in the first test seem likely to be his last. They did give him the honour of leading the side against Sussex where he made an unbeaten 77, but it looks like Boof might stamp his file. If he hasn't already.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Cowan has shown everyone he simply isn't international standard, he doesn't capitalise anywhere near enough

Hooksey

Banned
Cowan has shown everyone he simply isn't international standard, he doesn't capitalise anywhere near enough
No argument from me. What I did like about him though is he values his wicket. But he's never really put up the numbers to ensure his continuity in the team long-term.

Hooksey

Banned
Never was a big fan, but his form in the last year has been hot. Besides he can break fingers.
Johnson put a case for inclusion in the touring party with his late season form. At his best he is knocking on the door for inclusion. But his best is a rarity. The guy can be more than useful with bat as he's proved on a number of occasions, including the test 100 he made.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Starceh is a better, younger version of Johnson who can actually swing the ball, no reason to include Johnson in the team/squad with Starc around IMO

Tangles

Are Patto and Bird back by Brisbane? If not then Harris, Siddle Starc will play not sure they would bring in as cover though. MJ a chance probably.

Hooksey

Banned
Are Patto and Bird back by Brisbane? If not then Harris, Siddle Starc will play not sure they would bring in as cover though. MJ a chance probably.
Harris will have at best an interrupted preparation - heading in for a scan on the hamstring he injured in the final test.

The Battlers Prince

Starceh is a better, younger version of Johnson who can actually swing the ball, no reason to include Johnson in the team/squad with Starc around IMO
It's very obvious to see the similarities between Johnson and Starceh, the big difference is one bowls 140-145k the other bowls 145-150k and that could make a big difference on some Aussie wickets

Hooksey

Banned
It's very obvious to see the similarities between Johnson and Starceh, the big difference is one bowls 140-145k the other bowls 145-150k and that could make a big difference on some Aussie wickets
Starc and Bird will be better bowlers in Australia where they will be assisted by steeper bounce, than they were in England. Because he has disappointed and been banished a number of time previously, Johnson is probably in a position where he has to do clearly more than anyone else to even be considered.

Tangles

The risk that MJ has an off day and bowls trash is too big with the team we have. We can't afford days where he bowls fast half trackers.

wiff

First Class Debutant
After seeing him bowl the first over tonight, all the reasons you mentioned came flooding back. Doesn't mean they won't select him though.