Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Predict Australia's 17 man squad for the first test in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hooksey View Post
    The previous 52 innings by Australian number 3 batsmen, prior to Watson's big 100 in the final test, had produced something like 8 x 50s and 1 x 100.

You don't wait that long for a solution and then go changing things again.
    Solution?? surely 1 good knock from Twatto in the troubled No3 spot does not = problems solved??

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It was 6-4-1 for the entire tour bar the final Test.
    Watson played and bowled so he's an all rounder. That's how the selectors treat him until he can't bowl.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Solution?? surely 1 good knock from Twatto in the troubled No3 spot does not = problems solved??
    Closest we've had to a solution at #3 for 52 test innings, and the reason Watson is a monty to bat at 3 at the Gabba.

He deserves the chance to prove that wrong though. I can't remember the last time someone scored a ton from #3.

If he flounders then whatever, but we shouldn't be messing around with our batting lineup for now.
    Last edited by morgieb; 28-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooksey View Post
    Closest we've had to a solution at #3 for 52 test innings, and the reason Watson is a monty to bat at 3 at the Gabba.
    The same Shane Watson who averaged 20-odd in his previous run at number 3 up until that point?

I agree with playing Watson at 3, FTR, but not for the same reasons. Clarke's a middle order bat, Smith's a middle order bat, if we pick a new batsman you shouldn't debut him at 3. We've basically got the bowling all-rounder batting at 3 to protect the middle order.

Look I don't disagree that he shouldn't bat 3 at the Gabba, all I was saying it's a bit early to be calling this a "solution"........when he's averaging +40 in the position over a period of time then you can say he's nailed down the spot. To me he is still only a couple of low scores away from "where they **** do we play him now" all over again.

It will be interesting to see if the Oval does end up being a turning point in Watsons career, will he repay the faith in the selectors and finally do some justice to the obvious talent that he has. I reckon he owes everyone at least 3 years of solid performances and (just my opinion) I don't think he's got it in him.............time will tell.

This order seems pretty good, while it's silly to say we're set, you wouldn't change the order now from 1-5
    There are two colours in my head

Banned
    Look I don't disagree that he shouldn't bat 3 at the Gabba, all I was saying it's a bit early to be calling this a "solution"..
    You "don't disagree that he shouldn't bat 3 at the Gabba"??

I take it that means you think he should bat at 3 at the Gabba?

The thread is titled : "Predict Australia's 17 man squad for the first test in Australia," and Watson is the solution at #3 for the 1st test. After that, like most others, his position will be reassessed.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Hooksey, I think you've completely missed the point of what Adders is saying there. He performed at The Oval at 3, so he should retain that spot. But one big innings does not a 'solution' make. Shaun Marsh made that ton on debut in Sri Lanka, and he most definitely was not a solution.

well, that depends on what sort of solution we're talking about, Watson is a short term solution, so we won't go into the first test thinking "who the **** will bat 3?", but as most people are saying, we will have to wait and see if he is a long term solution.

Banned
    We can tangle ourselves up in semantics or talk cricket. I prefer the latter.

I think Shane Watson will bat at number 3 at the Gabba, and after that, like most others, his position will be reassessed.

The more interesting discussion is on who will be the 6th batter, the batting cover and how many all rounders in the squad. Hopefully they don't draft Maxwell into the squad if Watson and Faulkner are in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    The more interesting discussion is on who will be the 6th batter, the batting cover and how many all rounders in the squad. Hopefully they don't draft Maxwell into the squad if Watson and Faulkner are in it.
    Number 6 is the quandary for the selectors. The other 5 batsmen choose themselves for the 1st test. If someone was running a book on it I'd say Phil Hughes would be favourite. While Mattinson and Faulkner could surpass him if they make big early season runs. I'm hoping they go with Mattinson myself.

stop calling him Mattinson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    stop calling him Mattinson
    Thanks for the correction mate. Can't promise I won't spell it wrong again though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information