• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Publicly urinating England players

Hooksey

Banned
Was this a showing of solidarity that paves the way for Monty Panesar to be included for the Australian tour?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
FMD, how anyone can get wound up over this is beyond me.

What details are there in this "Non story"?? They way some are turning their noses up they are clearly assuming that a group of blokes ceremoniously waved their willies around in some laddish tomfoolery whilst paying the ultimate insult to the Oval wicket.

Or.

The players simply spent some time sitting around the wicket sinking some beers celebrating their victory, as and when nature took its course they didn't feel the need to move very far to relieve themselves.

I guess it's not for everyone but my lemon tree at home gets plenty of watering when I'm outside drinking........WTF am I gonna traipse inside for a piss when my lemon tree is 3 feet away from me?? If I have mates around for a BBQ etc then they do the same.

All this has come from some left over Aussie journos at the ground after hours.......probably the same ****s that started the silicone tape bollocks.

What a load of crap this is........can't believe some of you are getting sucked in.
What you do in your own home is largely your own business. But it's totally disingenuous to suggest that what you do privately in your garden is comparable to what high profile and professional sportsmen do in the middle of a public place. There is clearly a massive divergence in the standards of behaviour expected in those two scenarios.

But since we're going on about "boys being boys", another things that boys do is fall out and fight. I don't recall many people waxing philosophical about David Warner punching Joe Root in the face, it was quite rightly called out for being the piece of ****ty behaviour it was. Punching someone in the face is more serious than what's gone on here, you might argue, but to me they are both examples of behaviour which is unacceptable. To bag on one but to offer the "boys will be boys" cop out to the other is just nonsense in my opinion.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What you do in your own home is largely your own business. But it's totally disingenuous to suggest that what you do privately in your garden is comparable to what high profile and professional sportsmen do in the middle of a public place. There is clearly a massive divergence in the standards of behaviour expected in those two scenarios.
It's taking a piss on patch of dirt mate........how do "standards of behaviour" come into it?? So long as women and children don't have to watch what's the big deal??

What time did this alleged incident take place?? I don't think you can class a closed sports stadium after hours a public place.

EDIT:

If there is any evidence at all that the team lined up and all pissed as one on the wicket in some bizarre ceremony then you've got a point........not a good thing. But if it is a group of lads drinking outside and pissing outside then there is absolutely nothing to discuss.

And judging by the lack of detail in the article my bet is very strongly on it being the later scenario.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
journos and some rubbish collectors/venue management people were still around, they shouldn't have done it, simple as that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's taking a piss on patch of dirt mate........how do "standards of behaviour" come into it?? So long as women and children don't have to watch what's the big deal??

What time did this alleged incident take place?? I don't think you can class a sports stadium after hours a public place.
You're being deliberately obtuse. We are talking about grown men taking their pants down and urinating in a public place (which it is, I'll get to that in a minute). Is there any way this could happen and not lead to talk about standards of conduct? It's bad enough when you see drunken louts pissing all over the place after being kicked out of a club, but these guys are supposedly professional athletes and role models.

So far as the Oval being a public place is concerned, it almost certainly would count as such from a purely legal perspective. In order for it to count as private the England players would have to have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" from being in that particular location, and from the others in attendance. I very much doubt anyone could argue that being in the middle of a cricket stadium, and surrounded by journos, would satisfy those criteria. I could get into the really nitty gritty details of that, but I can't be bothered.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You're being deliberately obtuse. .
This is really starting to **** me about some posters on here. I have a different opinion to you on a subject and I am voicing it........as you are. I am not being ****ing obtuse I am just disagreeing with you.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If there is any evidence at all that the team lined up and all pissed as one on the wicket in some bizarre ceremony then you've got a point........not a good thing. But if it is a group of lads drinking outside and pissing outside then there is absolutely nothing to discuss.
Its KP, Broad and Anderson. Looks like Surrey has asked for an apology from ECB for it.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Its KP, Broad and Anderson. Looks like Surrey has asked for an apology from ECB for it.
If there is more to this story then I will gladly read it and may well change my opinion. All I have seen so far is that there were men relieving themselves out in the middle........that covers a thousand different scenarios.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is really starting to **** me about some posters on here. I have a different opinion to you on a subject and I am voicing it........as you are. I am not being ****ing obtuse I am just disagreeing with you.
Well, in that case I apologise. I just thought it should be obvious how conduct which blatantly flouts a number of established social norms might invoke a debate about standards of behaviour. If you genuinely can't see how that might be the case then perhaps it was wrong of me to say what I did.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Sledger. the only point he missed is that there is no way that all of them suddenly were busting to go and had no option but to relieve themselves there and then. They wanted to piss on the pitch as some type of FU to the "man". They easily could have pissed on the wicket block on an unused pitch - but the pitch itself was symbolic and they knew that.

I am not that fussed about this and 5 laps around the field and a wagging finger from the coach should be sufficient. The real punishment is that none of whoever did it should be made captain in any form of the game for a wee (pun intended) while.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, in that case I apologise. I just thought it should be obvious how conduct which blatantly flouts a number of established social norms might invoke a debate about standards of behaviour. If you genuinely can't see how that might be the case then perhaps it was wrong of me to say what I did.
It depends on the circumstance if it blatantly flouts anything. A group of blokes standing around outside getting pissed, as and when they need to piss they turn their back and step 3 feet away and relieve themselves.......doesn't break any established social norms or standards of behaviour in my book.

However I accept that might not have been the case, it is just one possible scenario.......if there is any substance in what cricAddict just posted then there may well be more to it and if there is then I'll revise my opinion.

And sorry, I know you are armed with some legal precedents as to why this is not the case but I do not accept for a minute that a closed sports stadium, after hours is a public place. It was a private party which unfortunately had some nosey onlookers keen to find anything remotely untoward to make a story out of.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Sledger. the only point he missed is that there is no way that all of them suddenly were busting to go and had no option but to relieve themselves there and then.
Has this been reported that they all went?? And at once??

As I said earlier if it was the whole team (or a large group) lined up pissing on the wicket that is certainly something else entirely..........but have seen nothing (so far) to suggest thats what happened.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
interesting social norms there Adders, you can't really complain if someone finds it offensive if they see someone urinating in public (as in - not in a toilet)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Has this been reported that they all went?? And at once??

As I said earlier if it was the whole team (or a large group) lined up pissing on the wicket that is certainly something else entirely..........but have seen nothing (so far) to suggest thats what happened.
Australian cricket journalists were still at The Oval, completing dead-of-night tour pieces with the help of free beer and sandwiches from the ECB, when they reported seeing several England players take it turns to relieve themselves on the pitch.
Your take on that is as valid as mine. I took it to mean they pissed in quick succession.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It depends on the circumstance if it blatantly flouts anything. A group of blokes standing around outside getting pissed, as and when they need to piss they turn their back and step 3 feet away and relieve themselves.......doesn't break any established social norms or standards of behaviour in my book.
I think there are variety of social norms, not to mention laws, which have plenty to say about how one should not urinate in certain places tbh, but I think I'll just leave it here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Your take on that is as valid as mine. I took it to mean they pissed in quick succession.
Hard to make anything of that IMO. If they are out there for any length of time drinking then they are all gonna need to go at some time.........even if it was just a natural cycle it would be easy for a Journo to describe that as "taking turns"

But anyway, I guess all I'm saying is without any details of the context we shouldn't be jumping up and down casting judgement.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I have micturated in unlikely places after drinking but I'd think a thousand year old ground would warrant as hallowed turf especially so by a cricketing culture that prides itself on history and tradition?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there are variety of social norms, not to mention laws, which have plenty to say about how one should not urinate in certain places tbh, but I think I'll just leave it here.
OK, you didn't like my analogy of my back yard earlier, let me run this past you.....

At least a couple of times a year me and a few mates go for a 4wd weekend up the bush somewhere, it is essentially a boys piss trip. So when we're sitting around the fire in the early hours in the middle of the bush and getting our peckers out and taking a leak wherever we happen to be standing............yes I'm sure technically we are breaking some laws, but you'll have a hard job to convince me we're doing anything wrong or socially unacceptable.