• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've heard the security and prices at the Gabba are awful, seems to me that no one turns up to the matches, the pitch is either a greentop for shield games or a flat piece of **** for tests, the Gabba was definitely much better a few years ago
The prices are outrageous, for one of the really good seats you'll pay about what I paid to get into the ground in the UK 10 years ago. Have never had a problem with security.

I think the WACA is better as you feel like you're closer to the action (and maybe you are) but the Gabba isn't a bad spot to watch the cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's more to technique than aesthetics. Based on the last six months, you'd take Smith's technique over Khawaja's, Hughes's et al
Jeez, talk about a low bar.

Hughes's MO is just this side of spasticated and has been constantly raked over, so won't reheat old arguments there. Kid's obviously working on it, but he always looks to be fighting against his basic instincts at the crease.

Khawaja has always looked way too bottom handed to me; he's not a Graeme Smith or a Paul Collingwood, but he is a strangler. Plus, and this is mental rather than technical, he always seems way too obsessed with not getting out rather than actually scoring runs. He makes it look so difficult.

Worst one can say about Smith is he occasionally drives a wee bit loosely. His basic teckers is far better than Snitch or Snatch tho.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's because the WACA is the only proper cricket ground left in Australia.
The Gabba isn't too bad though mate, no doubt I'll see you in the crowd this summer :happy:

I'll happily admit English cricket grounds are much nicer to look at in general than Aussie grounds. It's a bit of a pity we don't have grounds used exclusively for cricket anymore, I'm certainly not a fan of drop-in pitches that seem to come along with shared grounds. However, I'm assuming the costs of keeping a ground specifically for the use of one sport are a bit high over here. Or it's more about profits.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Hughes's MO is just this side of spasticated and has been constantly raked over, so won't reheat old arguments there. Kid's obviously working on it, but he always looks to be fighting against his basic instincts at the crease.

Khawaja has always looked way too bottom handed to me; he's not a Graeme Smith or a Paul Collingwood, but he is a strangler. Plus, and this is mental rather than technical, he always seems way too obsessed with not getting out rather than actually scoring runs. He makes it look so difficult.

Worst one can say about Smith is he occasionally drives a wee bit loosely. His basic teckers is far better than Snitch or Snatch tho.
Hughes' technical issues were always overblown and the obsession with getting him a 'normal' technique has ruined him as a player.

Spark

Global Moderator

That's the bar that matters though. An Australian side picked on technique and temperament has Smith in it, probably as second or maybe third choice.

Hooksey

Banned
Hughes' technical issues were always overblown and the obsession with getting him a 'normal' technique has ruined him as a player.
Hughes is one of those players who's strength has also come to be perceived as his weakness. But once you reach a certain age I think you have to run with what got you there. Subtle changes, yes. But a complete re-jig, no.

You only have to look at some of the unusual techniques that have succeeded over the years to realise absolute textbook isn't essential. A bloke like Kepler Wessels comes straight to mind.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The WACA is an excellent ground, but I'm still holding out hope that Adelaide will still look OK, fully expecting the usual concrete jungle **** look though. Sydney would have to be my favourite venue tbh

uvelocity

International Coach
the problem with the gabba isn't even (only) the concrete. lack of shade, lack of transport, lack of parking, length of queue's to get overpriced half strength liquor, length of queues to get overpriced ****house "food", overzealous (to the point of ridiculous) big brother security people and policies. i mean a friend of mine was nearly kicked out, he had to throw out his subway he brought to the ground because kfc was the sponsor of the cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say, & with all due respect to Bellerive, I do like the purity of having just 5 proper test venues and a set order to the summer: Gabba, Adelaide Oval, WACA, MCG, SCG.

Since the ECB started awarding tests to all and sundry who can cobble together the staging fee I think we've lost something.

Faintly horrific that the Riverside had an Ashes test this year & Edgbaston didn't.

#changeiswrong

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to say, & with all due respect to Bellerive, I do like the purity of having just 5 proper test venues and a set order to the summer: Gabba, Adelaide Oval, WACA, MCG, SCG.

Since the ECB started awarding tests to all and sundry who can cobble together the staging fee I think we've lost something.

Faintly horrific that the Riverside had an Ashes test this year & Edgbaston didn't.

#changeiswrong
Hobart is there to avoid a double up when more than 5 tests are played in a summer.

One wonders though, what would happen if Australia hosted a two test series prior to an Ashes series in the one Summer like England did this year. I can't imagine CA scheduling a test against a proper test country in Darwin or Cairns like they would against Bangladesh so would they ever double up a venue? And if so, which one?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobart is there to avoid a double up when more than 5 tests are played in a summer.

One wonders though, what would happen if Australia hosted a two test series prior to an Ashes series in the one Summer like England did this year. I can't imagine CA scheduling a test against a proper test country in Darwin or Cairns like they would against Bangladesh so would they ever double up a venue? And if so, which one?
well the scg got to double up back in 03/04. I think the WACA would be the likely option. Prime-time baby.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wagga Wagga maybe?

It would be good if Sydney got to host a 'live' Test once in a while. Does anyone know how many Sydney Tests in say the last 15 years have been in a dead rubber with the series already decided?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Cricket is always live when you play it at the home of cricket.
Therein lies the rub, IMHO.

Up here there's no doubt Lords is top dog (Headquarters, Home of Cricket, etc); down there I think opinion would be divided between Vics and NSWelshmen as to whether the MCG or the SCG has primacy.

Hooksey

Banned
The WACA is an excellent ground, but I'm still holding out hope that Adelaide will still look OK, fully expecting the usual concrete jungle **** look though. Sydney would have to be my favourite venue tbh
If you type Adelaide oval upgrade into Google Images there's no shortage of conceptual pictures of how it's going to look.

To their credit they have tried hard over the years not to spoil the place. The light posts there were originally built to telescope into the ground when not in use in order to preserve the aesthetics, but when one of them fell down during construction the idea was canned, and they have remained elevated ever since.