• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah that was it. bat pad chance before it wasnt it. whats his deal with bat/pad position vs the ball turning into him - caught that way one of the earlier tests too? im no batsman but was he coming forward when he could have gone back instead?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't remember the exact details of his bat pad dismissal, but with regards to going forward/back it all depends on the speed of the pitch. Places like India you can afford to play sometimes almost exclusively off the back foot because its such a slow environment. Martyn and Mark Waugh used to do that really well.

Going back on a pitch with a bit of speed in it is fraught with danger though unless you get plenty of length.

Anyone can get a ball that spits and bounces off the edge towards a bat pad though. One of those things.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann got him a few times pushing half forward to balls which pitched well outside off then spun/bounced sharply into him.

flibbertyjibber

Not sure how Smith's technique against spin is poor tbh?
To be honest because he isn't as pleasing on the eye like a Bell or a Mark Waugh he will always have people moaning about him. He is a dogged fighter though and does have a good plan against the spinners, seems to have a better one than most of your other bats anyway.

Take Paul Collingwood, over 4000 test runs averaging over 40 and 10 test tons and he was always being criticised. I get the feeling Smith is going to be the same sort of player in his career. Always unfairly criticised despite doing his job very well.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I distinctly remember in the lords test I think it was, Smitteh lunged forward at a long hop and got caught bat pad, generally played Swann well however

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Smith poor against spin? If he is poor I'm failing to find an adjective to describe the young left hand bats in and around the squad.

Spark

Global Moderator
I distinctly remember in the lords test I think it was, Smitteh lunged forward at a long hop and got caught bat pad, generally played Swann well however
Nah that one had extra bounce off a length. Pushed hard at it but it was a good ball.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I've heard the security and prices at the Gabba are awful, seems to me that no one turns up to the matches, the pitch is either a greentop for shield games or a flat piece of **** for tests, the Gabba was definitely much better a few years ago

Burgey

I don't remember the exact details of his bat pad dismissal, but with regards to going forward/back it all depends on the speed of the pitch. Places like India you can afford to play sometimes almost exclusively off the back foot because its such a slow environment. Martyn and Mark Waugh used to do that really well.

Going back on a pitch with a bit of speed in it is fraught with danger though unless you get plenty of length.

Anyone can get a ball that spits and bounces off the edge towards a bat pad though. One of those things.
You best you play forward then mate.