• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Riggins

International Captain
ffs, just realised I'll be at schoolies with a bunch of people who don't like cricket for the entirety of this test match, pretty sure we'll have wifi though, so I'm gonna be counting on you ****s
go and party instead. dead set..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a real pity Finch can't put it together in the longer form of the game. He did score a couple of 50s in South Africa though. But he excelled more in the one dayers over there as he always tends to do.
give him an extended run in the test side as a spin-bowling number 8 and he'll be good

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah 17 year old horny girls >> Cricket.

I think you could do both anyway if you really wanted, cricket during the day, party at night.

EDIT - just read, not a full blown schoolies thing.

I think the Australia A game is going to be crucial as to who we select at number 6. There is a big chance that which ever middle order bats performs the best, will be selected in the Test.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England'll just bat at 2.5 rpo, so I think you should go searching for girls rather than wasting your time with the cricket. Good luck to you, Max.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
England'll just bat at 2.5 rpo, so I think you should go searching for girls rather than wasting your time with the cricket. Good luck to you, Max.
hehe, true that, would honestly rather watch shield streams than England bat, and there should be at least some girls at Ocean Grove, perhaps not so bad after-all

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i will be on the gold coast and at no point will i be in any state to type anything on here

ajdude

International Coach
i was on the gold coast on schoolies during the jo'burg test in 2011 sitting in sin city following cricinfo's ball by ball commentary. i was very popular with everybody

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ok but what if the most in-form player is a **** like marsh or usman?
Or worse still, what if it's randomly someone like Raphael?

There aren't that many Shield games before the first Test so picking purely on form would be ridiculous. Even if it works for a Test, form is cyclical so if the bloke isn't good enough his average will drop back into the 20s soon enough he'll get dropped.

The selection should be based primarily on technique, temperament and proven ability - ie. the best batsman should be selected. If the bloke is in terrible form then that's different obviously but there should be a minimum requirement for early season form and then actual batsmanship should be used to decide between the qualifiers.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Or worse still, what if it's randomly someone like Raphael?

There aren't that many Shield games before the first Test so picking purely on form would be ridiculous. Even if it works for a Test, form is cyclical so if the bloke isn't good enough his average will drop back into the 20s soon enough he'll get dropped.

The selection should be based primarily on technique, temperament and proven ability - ie. the best batsman should be selected. If the bloke is in terrible form then that's different obviously but there should be a minimum requirement for early season form and then actual batsmanship should be used to decide between the qualifiers.
purely on form was not necessarily meant to mean look at the averages and go whoever is at the top, I didn't really say it, but I meant to pick a guy who has been earmarked as a probable international player (or has already played) with a decent record behind them who also has the best form running in. I reckon form is a really important thing tbh, the confidence means everything

Riggins

International Captain
Who apart from Clarke is accepted as having one of, if not the best technique in Australia?
Noone makes any runs, so noone, probably.

Edit. I guess it would be someone who doesn't make runs because they always throw it away / play a **** shot rather than having a 'technical weakness exposed.' So someone like Marsh or Ferguson, but then again you would just say their technique is **** in that they consistently nick wide half volleys.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have thought Rogers has possibly the best technique against fast bowling in Australia, especially against the swinging ball

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Who apart from Clarke is accepted as having one of, if not the best technique in Australia?
David Warner.

Chris Rogers has developed those idiosyncratic methods of playing the ball late and recognising line and length that come with years and years of discipline and toughness. So not completely textbook, but certainly serviceable.