• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

wiff

First Class Debutant
Talking about journalists, backpage used to be funny, what has Tony Squires brought to the table?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha so true, picturing whoever that 2nd slip was (:ph34r:) taking a blinder.
Best thing about that incident was the way Flintoff just nonchalantly tossed the ball around the field like it was a regular delivery.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nice quoting skills.

inb4theedit
Mobile skin carries multi quotes for life

RE the Harmison delivery to Flintoff (because it certainly wasn't to Langer). They were interviewing him on SSN yesterday and asked him about it then showed it. A little bit of a kick in the teeth you'd have thought but they then sweetened him up by showing his Lotd's 05 day one highlights

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Best thing about that incident was the way Flintoff just nonchalantly tossed the ball around the field like it was a regular delivery.
I know I love the guy, but I felt sorry or Fred in that Test. That happens first ball, then we go into bat about 9043 overs later, he goes for a net and comes back to find he's about due to pad up. I just remember his wtf face when he realised what had happened.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey how about one of those "commentators say the darndest things" checklist.

To kick things off with the Gabba Test in mind

[ ] Warne's success and love of the GABBA due to the extra bounce
[ ] Australia's undefeated record there
[ ] Kevin Mitchell Jnr getting mentioned a helluva lot of times.
[ ] Nasser's decision to bowl first.
[ ] Siddle's hattrick (please, please, please)
The term "fortress" to be thrown around a lot on day 1.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with mentioning these things IMO. I don't really want them to delve into some deep heated discussion on first change average or some garbage.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah it doesn't really bother me, I understand that there are more casual observers listening compared to people who post on here. Its just funny hearing specific things about a particular ground each year.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The repetition used to bother me but I kind of like it now. The commentators have created a certain type of atmosphere or tradition for each venue, making it a little bit more special. Individual grounds are more important to cricket than most other sports and I like that the commentators have reinforced that.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Liked it when the venues had different characteristics on the pitch. Bouncy Perth, spinning Sydney.

howardj

International Coach
Got my tickets for the first four days

Can't believe I got sucked in to going for four days

Looking forward to it though

Burgey

Can't believe you'll be missing what could be a thrilling denouement on day five.

howardj

International Coach
They don't sell spirits at the Gabba for fear of people inbibing to excess (you can buy unlimited beer though)

Anyway, because I don't drink beer, I have to smuggle my vodka in a water bottle

There's a real art to it - blue tacking the safety cap back right up to the lid proper...can't be any gap between safety cap and lid

Is a real rush of adrenalin when the guys at the gate check your "water" bottle

Dump pricks have never picked it

#personalanecdote

benchmark00

I prefer the orange trick.

Fill a syringe with vodka and inject it into an orange.

Then just eat the orange throughout the day.