• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Bollinger missed this week but would be fine for the Test he is a better option. Chadd is a better option, Hilf is a better option, Forkers is a better option, yes even Copes is a better option than MJ. **** it Cutting, Butts and probably NCN, and even McKay should be considered better options. The selectors though seem to think it's a pissing contest and rate 'ooh he's so scary he can bowl 150+' above keeping it tight and keeping the pressure on at both ends. Fingers crossed for them, because usually Johnson's extra pace just gets the ball to the rope quicker.
Yeah, it was tight pressure building bowling to good plans that gave our bowlers success in England, I don't like the idea of an impact bowler like MJ ****ing said plans up

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, it was tight pressure building bowling to good plans that gave our bowlers success in England, I don't like the idea of an impact bowler like MJ ****ing said plans up
This is an interesting one. I'd definitely agree if it was Pattinson or Starc who remained and Siddle was injured, but Australia already have their nagging first change bowler and are in more need of another proper wicket taking option IMO. That's not to say I'd pick Johnson - I definitely ****ing wouldn't - but I'd sooner pick him than someone like McKay. It's something I considered when the twelve was announced because I had a good long think about whether I'd be happy if Johnson found himself twelfth man and Faulkner played instead. I'm kind of undecided on that specific head to head, but I don't think Australia could afford to pick someone purely as a support bowler given who it is that's actually out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It wouldn't be so bad if Watson were bowling tbh, wouldn't have too much of a problem with an 'impact' bowler if Watson was fully fit and able to bowl 10 maidens to keep a lid on it

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Sounds like Tremlett as the third seamer. Probably the right decision even if he is half the cricketer he was last time around and all we can expect is a holding role.

Thought Australia would win this series at the start of the year. Guess I still think that.

England haven't moved forward for a while now. Stuck with the same problems (third seamer, opener/no 6 bat) as they had a year or two ago and the rest of the team (Root and possibly Cook and Broad apart) not getting any better.

Worryingly the third seamer spot seems no closer to being fixed.

Carberry scoring runs in these warmup games is bad news going forward again imo. I don't think he's really good enough and like Compton I can't see him playing for more than a year or so if that. I reckon before the tour started they were set on Ballance coming in at 6 but he failed and Carberry scored runs in the rain affected games.

England attack heavily reliant on Anderson and Broad and any injury to either of them makes Australia big favourites. Australia are as unpredictable as England are predictable. Johnson and australian bowling injuries may give England the series without being especially good again.

91Jmay

International Coach
I would argue that Root at 6 is a pretty solid situation, but agree opener/3rd seamer are big issues. Rankin/Tremlett will be an interesting decision, as Rankin is a superior bowler to me.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand adub's point, but he deffo went overboard IMO; MJ isn't great but he's surely a better option than say McKay or Faulkner.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I would argue that Root at 6 is a pretty solid situation, but agree opener/3rd seamer are big issues. Rankin/Tremlett will be an interesting decision, as Rankin is a superior bowler to me.
Trott is the biggest worry, IMO.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trott is the biggest worry, IMO.
To me, his form in England seemed pretty good on paper, he just often got out after making solid starts. Though given how he looked beforehand that could be more mental problems rather than technical ones, which is more of a problem.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Prior disappeared for most of the last series, and to my surprise Haddin kept quite well after his ordinary start. That could easily turn the other way, particularly batting wise for Prior. Haddin just seems to do well against England consistently.

adub

International Captain
I can understand adub's point, but he deffo went overboard IMO; MJ isn't great but he's surely a better option than say McKay or Faulkner.
Look, McKay might be stretching the friendship, but he is steady. Won't run through a side like MJ could (if the heavens align), but won't go for 4+ rpo or release the pressure. We are talking about the third seamer spot here after all. If we ever got to a toss up between MJ and McKay well we'd be totally ****ed anyway so meh.

But Forkers is way underrated around here. The ****s a contributor. Yeah green Bellerive pitches might explain part of his excellent record, but not all of it. You don't get the sort of numbers he's got just from green pitches and pure arse. Especially so in Shield Finals. At full strength no I don't think he cuts it as one of our seamers, and no I don't think his batting is good enough to justify a spot batting at 7, but he is easily in front of Johnson as an option you can depend on chip in with some valuable wickets whilst bowling dryish and also make regular handy lower order runs at 8. Of the 12 selected he should play. The **** took 6/98 in the last test on debut (out of 15 wickets to fall) as well as chipping in with a couple of 20s where he got out chasing quick runs for the team. Harris only took 4 wickets in that game, Lyon 1 and Siddle 0. But because he mixes it up in white ball stuff people don't rate him and want to drop his arse and rate him below Mitchell ****ing Johnson of all people. The game's not won or lost on the speed gun. Faulkner is the no brainer selection, Johnson is the no brains selection.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
To me, his form in England seemed pretty good on paper, he just often got out after making solid starts. Though given how he looked beforehand that could be more mental problems rather than technical ones, which is more of a problem.
yeah, but it's been happening for a long time now. His technique is obviously very good but it's his mental ability to score mountains of runs and just not get out that's made him so good. If that's not there anymore...

Ruckus

International Captain
Look, McKay might be stretching the friendship, but he is steady. Won't run through a side like MJ could (if the heavens align), but won't go for 4+ rpo or release the pressure. We are talking about the third seamer spot here after all. If we ever got to a toss up between MJ and McKay well we'd be totally ****ed anyway so meh.

But Forkers is way underrated around here. The ****s a contributor. Yeah green Bellerive pitches might explain part of his excellent record, but not all of it. You don't get the sort of numbers he's got just from green pitches and pure arse. Especially so in Shield Finals. At full strength no I don't think he cuts it as one of our seamers, and no I don't think his batting is good enough to justify a spot batting at 7, but he is easily in front of Johnson as an option you can depend on chip in with some valuable wickets whilst bowling dryish and also make regular handy lower order runs at 8. Of the 12 selected he should play. The **** took 6/98 in the last test on debut (out of 15 wickets to fall) as well as chipping in with a couple of 20s where he got out chasing quick runs for the team. Harris only took 4 wickets in that game, Lyon 1 and Siddle 0. But because he mixes it up in white ball stuff people don't rate him and want to drop his arse and rate him below Mitchell ****ing Johnson of all people. The game's not won or lost on the speed gun. Faulkner is the no brainer selection, Johnson is the no brains selection.
I would take Faulkner over Johnson at this stage for the all-round reasons you describe, but let's be honest, his figures in his test debut aren't a true indication of how he bowled. He didn't bowl badly, but he didn't actually look like taking wickets.

adub

International Captain
I would take Faulkner over Johnson at this stage for the all-round reasons you describe, but let's be honest, his figures in his test debut aren't a true indication of how he bowled. He didn't bowl badly, but he didn't actually look like taking wickets.
And Hugh Hefner doesn't look like he could keep up with 20 year old hotties, but he sure does get to **** a whole lot more of them than I ever will.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Faulkner would have more success in Aus than on that dead oval track anyway, I'd take him over Johnson but I feel atm Forkers is not quite a no 8 but also not quite a no 7, for mine he just doesn't fit in atm