• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slightly off topic but I wish Nannes had taken cricket more seriously. Love the crazed look in his eyes, would have definitely been an Ashes hero.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I really hope the pitch is not a road next week. Nothing more boring.

I also hope the polynesian chick in the maroon stationwagon who was driving the wrong way down vulture street one afternoon last week as I was driving past stays well away from the ground :S

U19 12th Man
I really hope the pitch is not a road next week. Nothing more boring.

I also hope the polynesian chick in the maroon stationwagon who was driving the wrong way down vulture street one afternoon last week as I was driving past stays well away from the ground :S
If we get much play there should be some spice in it.

howardj

International Coach
Watson and Clarke between them have got so much on their plate this Summer - bowling, key slippers, captaincy etc.

But what the team needs most from them both is a 500 run series

Definitely the best contribution each of them could make

Australia didn't lose the Ashes in England because we lost "the big moments" (as some players and former players have said). Rather, we lost because we got bowled out under 300 too many times.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah I think we sort of did "lose the big moments" IMO. Any Test decided by 14 runs is obviously going to hinge on singular moments and fine margins, and we were cruising before that horrific final session a Durham.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I'm with Spark, England did win the big moments which made the scoreline so one sided. If you look at the series stats they don't cry out domination to me. Bell obviously stood out with the bat but Harris 19 wickets at 19 looks just as impressive.

EDIT Also I didn't judge my opinion based just from stats. throughout the series England had the killer punch while Australia at times lacked it.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia didn't lose the Ashes in England because we lost "the big moments" (as some players and former players have said). Rather, we lost because we got bowled out under 300 too many times.
Nah I think we sort of did "lose the big moments" IMO. Any Test decided by 14 runs is obviously going to hinge on singular moments and fine margins, and we were cruising before that horrific final session a Durham.
I don't think it really has to be one or the other. Australia lost the big moments because their batting wasn't up to scratch.

Losing 9/70 when you're 150/1 chasing 300 to win or thereabouts is both losing a big moment and poor batting, for example.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah.

The 14 run loss...gotta look at who scored those runs tbh...

It was a pretty comprehensive win, but it has proven that England's batsmen are no longer a big strength.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Definitely worried about our bowling going into this series. Finn can be a total liability and Rankin is unproven at this level.

Flem274*

123/5
I hate the "big moments" phrase. Every minute of the test is a big moment, and if you fall asleep and do something crap you give the opposition the advantage, which is then credited as the opposition winning a "big moment" like it was obviously set for 2:13 PM on day 4 or something.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I see big moments as when one team pulls ahead when the game is in the balance, I think that is fair enough tbh

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I think a better way of looking at it would be England having a slightly higher ceiling and Australia being a bit more...unpredictable. Despite both sides playing somewhat even cricket throughout the series, Australia were far more likely to lose a test in an hour, like they did at Lords and Durham, which is probably what people mean when they say "big moments".

It was the same in 09 as well. Australia dominated the stats overall but lost the series, and you could probably confine the two innings England won the series in; Australia's first digs at the two London venues.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wrong link ****.
We can't let Shri get away with this without paying out on him. Not only has he fallen for the Daemon fakeheadline0wn, but even upon doing so he assumed he got the link wrong instead of realising it was a troll.

That's hilarious.

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: @ Shri.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hey I have been away for a while. Can't catch up on all the quirkiness of the **** in 2 weeks.