Page 19 of 264 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 3950
Like Tree409Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at The Gabba

  1. #271
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    under
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    If MJ were to play the whole series, he'll win us one test and lose us four.

    That pretty much sums up his whole career.
    Is bowling unlike he has really ever. Changed run up, approach and action. 150+ consistently. Never done that in his career. I think you're right, but partly curious to see what his test cricket looks like now. Particularly with Dermo preparing the boys again this summer.

  2. #272
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by 3703 View Post
    Is bowling unlike he has really ever. Changed run up, approach and action. 150+ consistently. Never done that in his career. I think you're right, but partly curious to see what his test cricket looks like now. Particularly with Dermo preparing the boys again this summer.
    Nah he really isn't.

    I'm writing a piece on this exact topic p so I won't go into it right now, but don't be seduced.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #273
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,785
    I'm not sure how you can claim that. Like, you're basing it on no FC form. MJ being a kick arse ODI bowler is not new. The anti-MJ rage that took over following the SA series in 2011 led to some people forgetting he is great in ODers, but he is, and now he's reminded those dummies, and now he's "bowling unlike he has really ever."
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  4. #274
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I'm not sure how you can claim that. Like, you're basing it on no FC form. MJ being a kick arse ODI bowler is not new. The anti-MJ rage that took over following the SA series in 2011 led to some people forgetting he is great in ODers, but he is, and now he's reminded those dummies, and now he's "bowling unlike he has really ever."
    Yeah it's like the Perth thing.

    They dropped him from the Test side and kept him in the ODI side because he's a good ODI bowler and not a particularly good Test bowler. Him performing in ODIs is precisely what the selectors should've expected when they made that decision so nothing has changed and there's no reason to rush him back in the Test side because of it.

    It certainly is good to see him not worry about swinging the ball and just focus on his strengths - fast, hostile bowling with a bit of weird natural under-cutting slide away from the right handers - but as we've seen before there's no guarantee it'll cross over.

    Plus... never forget. Even if he was the best bowler in the world, he shouldn't be playing against England with that sort of admission.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009


  5. #275
    International Debutant dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by 3703 View Post
    Is bowling unlike he has really ever. Changed run up, approach and action. 150+ consistently. Never done that in his career. I think you're right, but partly curious to see what his test cricket looks like now. Particularly with Dermo preparing the boys again this summer.
    just got back from a session at the cronulla sand dunes ftr

  6. #276
    International Debutant dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,680
    and Mitch hasnt even been bowling that well in india, his first two spells in the last game were ****ing awful. he's had one good game where took 4 wickets but the rest of the series hes hardly been banging down the door for test selection

    dougeh taking 6fa however...

  7. #277
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Should be an interesting match in Brisbaluru.

  8. #278
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    11,096
    I don't know where I stand on Mitch.

    Looking at the alternatives:

    * Pattinson, Bird, Cummins, Starc - all injured. All would also be ahead of Johnson afaic.
    * Hastings - no. Trundler.
    * Faulkner - not as a specialist bowler. It would say a lot if he got regular Test time.
    * Coulter-Nile - his limited international form doesn't inspire confidence. He may prove me wrong, but at this stage I think I'd prefer MJ.
    * McKay - ODI specialist. No thanks.
    * Hazlewood - too raw? Though it didn't stop Cummins I guess.
    * Sayers - if he averages around 20 he has to be good, but he's still very unproven IMO.
    * Hilfenhaus - hard to say. If his action is still low I doubt he'd do much though I suppose he won't get hammered on an off-day unlike Mitch. If it's 2012 again then pick him.

    That's the ones that have played Test cricket recently or were named in that "fast 8". Few are conclusively better than MJ, so I don't think it's a farce that he looks like being recalled unlike 75% of the Australians on the forum. Still wouldn't pick him mind you.

    There are others I would consider (Bollinger, Copeland, Butterworth, etc.) but I don't think the selectors will.
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

  9. #279
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,628
    1 ton and the papers are going on about Doolan again. On the plus side his runs are SS runs unlike Bailey. I'm liking what Lynn did this match vs the Poms. Saw him at North Sydney and he strikes a clean ball. Would Lynn have the temperament to bat 6 and bat with the tail? Or is he more of a 4?

    4 Lynn
    5 Clarke
    6 People's champ

    If all the automatic selections ahead of MJ are crocked then as much as I hate it the selectors will pick him. I can't see them giving someone a debut.

  10. #280
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Doolan is better than Lynn.

  11. #281
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,785
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Nah he really isn't.

    I'm writing a piece on this exact topic p so I won't go into it right now, but don't be seduced.

    taking your time bud

  12. #282
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    eta June 2016.

  13. #283
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,785
    If you work hard and release it in time for June 2015, it'll coincide with yet another MJ return

  14. #284
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,111
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I don't know where I stand on Mitch.

    Looking at the alternatives:

    * Pattinson, Bird, Cummins, Starc - all injured. All would also be ahead of Johnson afaic.
    * Hastings - no. Trundler.
    * Faulkner - not as a specialist bowler. It would say a lot if he got regular Test time.
    * Coulter-Nile - his limited international form doesn't inspire confidence. He may prove me wrong, but at this stage I think I'd prefer MJ.
    * McKay - ODI specialist. No thanks.
    * Hazlewood - too raw? Though it didn't stop Cummins I guess.
    * Sayers - if he averages around 20 he has to be good, but he's still very unproven IMO.
    * Hilfenhaus - hard to say. If his action is still low I doubt he'd do much though I suppose he won't get hammered on an off-day unlike Mitch. If it's 2012 again then pick him.

    That's the ones that have played Test cricket recently or were named in that "fast 8". Few are conclusively better than MJ, so I don't think it's a farce that he looks like being recalled unlike 75% of the Australians on the forum. Still wouldn't pick him mind you.

    There are others I would consider (Bollinger, Copeland, Butterworth, etc.) but I don't think the selectors will.
    Johnson's got over 200 Test wickets at an average a touch over 30. He's not that bad and there's plenty of sides who'd kill to have a bowler with that sort of record waiting in the wings.

    At full strength he'd rightly be nowhere near the Test team, but when Starc, Bird and Pattinson are all out injured, Johnson's far from the worst bloke to have coming into the side.
    hendrix likes this.

  15. #285
    State Vice-Captain Crazy Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,184
    I'd rather Feldman than Johnson tbh.
    Andrew Symonds 143*



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-11-2013, 02:25 AM
  2. *Official* First Test at the Gabba
    By James in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 6066
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 03:24 PM
  3. Qld vs NSW (ING Cup - Gabba)
    By sunburnt_spinner in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 29-08-2008, 04:36 AM
  4. ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba
    By James in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 1623
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 06:28 AM
  5. Englad Gabba performance.
    By andmark in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •