• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WRT to Watson, I'm not sure how wise it is to mess around with the current lineup. Our 1-5 seemed fairly settled by the end of the Ashes, and I guess I just don't agree with changing it willy-nilly unless batsmen start struggling again.

adub

International Captain
Why was 1-5 settled? It was the only game they played as 1-5 and whilst Smitteh finally broke through for the ton (and deservedly retains a spot in the top 6) Watson has played one good inning in what 3 years? and Warner hasn't done jack against the red ball for some time. I'm against willy nilly changes too, but if Hughes and Usman had the patience shown in them that has been shown in Watson I reckon they'd eventually have cracked a big score too. Warner needs to show he can score away from NSO pretty soon or his spot is going to be under massive pressure.

I'm not advocating that the 1-5 from the last test shouldn't play in Brisbane (although if Watson isn't fit to bowl I'd be sorely tempted to leave his arse out). But I do think the idea that Watson has somehow secured the no.3 spot is a crock of ****. He's no more secured it than Smarsh's debut ton secured it for him. I also still believe Clarke at 5 is something that you don't want to **** with and I'd rather Smitteh at 6. To me there is a vacancy at 3/4 which Hughes, Khawaja and Doolan should be in consideration for with Watson and Warner needing runs early in the series if the guys who miss out are putting up scores in the Shield.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, no. I don't care how many theories or predictions you have, a bloke hits 170-odd in his last Test, he stays in the team if fit.

Burgey

Agreed. It's only when a bloke takes nine wickets in his last test that you drop him.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly I think the Aussies who are scared to pick him are the ones more scarred by his performance than him.

You are the mentally weak ****s.
I'm only scared for the boundary hoardings and square leg.

He's like the boy who cried wolf. If he's really improved then I guess he's worth a shot. But how many times have we heard it before?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Warner needs runs and Watson needs to be consistent. I suspect Watsons ton bought him the full series where the only question will be on where he bats if he puts up a bunch of low scores. He usually throws 40s and 50s so that's less likely. I have no idea if Warner is in trouble with a run of low scores. The top 3 needs to fire early in the series. Snagging a win in Brisbane would be huge for confidence if we can do it. Can't have Clarke bailing us out if we want to win.

morgieb

I don't see what's wrong if Hilf if he's on song. At least his peaks are way more sustained than Johnson's.

But I have NFI how well he's bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was never a big Hilfenhaus fan when he first came into the side but his comeback was really good and he seemed to get pushed way down the pecking order for daring to get injured after his 25th birthday. He was grazing his knuckles in the Ryobi Cup but he's never been a particularly good one day cricketer and I had a bit of a look at him today against Queensland where he looked much better. McDermott as bowling coach is a massive plus when it comes to Hilfenhaus in general; I'd much prefer him to Johnson or indeed some of the alternatives offered by CW members (Sayers, Hazelwood etc).

Burgey

Harris and Siddle are certainties, so only one of the other two (whose names I cannot bring myself to type) will play.

Am seriously surprised they've gone with Hilf. Didn't see him bowl today, but he hardly looked great in the Ryobi and was out bowled by Rainbird amd Dougeh last week at Blacktown. The only thing I can think is McDermott has been working with him and likes what he's doing. If he bowled like he did against India a couple of years back he'd be great, but I can't see him doing it tbh.

Spikey

god how great would it be if come perth the attack is dougeh, feldman and can do sandhu