• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think that would be very true if it were any other series and against any other opposition. As Pews I think it was pointed out, if the hammering he copped last time wasn't severe enough......admitting to how much it got to him will only ensure it is delivered 10 fold should he ever face England and the Barmy Army again.
Everyone could see that he was rattled. I don't understand how him admitting that makes it worse.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Getting rattled means he's a mentally weak ****. Admitting it to the media means he thought it was a good idea too draw attention to it.

Rule 1 is show no weakness. 2 is admit nothing. He violated both. He cannot be picked for another Ashes test.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Getting rattled means he's a mentally weak ****. Admitting it to the media means he thought it was a good idea too draw attention to it.

Rule 1 is show no weakness. 2 is admit nothing. He violated both. He cannot be picked for another Ashes test.
this is such amateur false bravado bull**** though.

If you don't admit your weakness, at least to yourself, you're not going to overcome it. It doesn't matter whether he admits that to everyone else or not because anyone watching on tv could see that he was affected by it. It's not the first and it won't be the last time a player will crumble under pressure.

Admitting that doesn't make him weaker. It just makes him honest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly I think the Aussies who are scared to pick him are the ones more scarred by his performance than him.

You are the mentally weak ****s.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
this is such amateur false bravado bull**** though.

If you don't admit your weakness, at least to yourself, you're not going to overcome it. It doesn't matter whether he admits that to everyone else or not because anyone watching on tv could see that he was affected by it. It's not the first and it won't be the last time a player will crumble under pressure.

Admitting that doesn't make him weaker. It just makes him honest.
But why give your opponent the satisfaction of knowing how rattled they got him, if he's over it himself and is able to admit it to himself that's enough

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If your opponent is satisfied by knowing you were rattled in a series years ago then good for him. It doesn't mean jack ****.

Knock over his stumps and be done with it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never show weakness in sport. Ffs. If you don't like it, piss off and play tiddlywinks.

If you have a mental fragility and your opponents discover it and exploit it, fair play. Why would you knowingly gift it to them? It's a competition.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends. If you're over it and it doesn't affect you anymore then who cares, admit it happened. It won't change anything.

Admitting it before you test yourself to see if you're truly over it? A bit dim. Admit it after a series winning 7fer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well of course. But he's said it ages ago and before he had another crack at the filth. It's the equivalent of telling the opposition you have a weakness to an in swinger or something. It's dumb.

I hope he is over it, and if he plays i hope he does well. He's a ridiculous bowler when he's on song, but everyone knows that happens all too infrequently.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
As said above its fine to admit it to yourself so you can move on and improve but to say it publicly before you have proved that your over it seems dumb.

On MJ I still dont think we have room for a scattergun in the attack. We don't have the batting or the ATG's in the bowling lineup to cover his bad days/tests/series. If he is picked and bowls Cooke into form again it will be a repeat of last time.

howardj

International Coach
Hoping Watson's hammy is OK to bat, but not bowl

That way we can hear Invers humour us again by saying that if Australia's number 3 is not fit enough to bowl, then he can't play in the team at all

adub

International Captain
The problem is Watson isn't good enough to be our no.3. One big ton in a dead rubber at the end of a lost series doesn't make up for his lack of contribution over years.

Now we all know he could come out and slap 500 runs and be a big part of an Ashes win, anything is possible with the ****. But the odds are much more in favour of a couple of pretty 50s a stack of lb decisions and nicking off early and a series average <30. If he's too crocked to bowl some handy spells to help balance his ledger then he's not worth picking.