• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series XI

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given that Cook, Trott, Bairstow, Prior, Hughes, Khawaja, Warner and Haddin all averaged about 25 between them I think it's fair to say Broad (25 with the bat and 27 with the ball) was the allrounder of the series.
I'm as big a Broad fan as anyone, but he took like half a wicket when the destination of the urn was in doubt.

Ditto Watson and Smith scoring runs in the dead rubber, actually. Trott and Haddin both look to have had dodgy series, but really their respective 50s at TB were more valuable than late series stats padding.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fairness Smith hit a 50 at Trent Bridge and backed his captain up at Old Trafford. His "live" performance was at least acceptable if not outstanding.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most keen judges (ie, me) expected a bowlers' series, but the dearth of quality batting on both sides stood out like dogs balls.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Rogers
2. Root/Cook
3. Trott
4. Clarke
5. Bell
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Broad
9. Swann
10. Harris
11. Anderson

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Trott an interesting call.
Making consistent 30s and 40s then throwing it away > Watson's one innings in a dead rubber combined with ridiculous mediocrity.

Only other option would to be 3. Bell 4. Pietersen 5. Clarke, IMO.

morgieb

Making consistent 30s and 40s then throwing it away > Watson's one innings in a dead rubber combined with ridiculous mediocrity.

Only other option would to be 3. Bell 4. Pietersen 5. Clarke, IMO.
Wasn't Watson doing a similar thing in the live tests?

Personally would go with Bell/KP/Clarke/Smith as my batting lineup.

EDIT: Not quite, but Trott only started to even get starts in the dead rubbers.

Last edited:

Daemon

There was only 1 dead rubber. You guys could have still drawn the series if you won the 4th test, despite not regaining the ashes.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Just looked up the stats and Trott's were far worse than I seemed to think they were. I think I might have caught his two decent innings and missed the really bad ones.

Bell - Pietersen - Clarke - Smith it is.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Things you never thought you'd read; Watson not making the team because he had one good innings compared to the other guy who had loads of good starts.