• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A - where are they now?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
3 years ago the Australia A side that took to the field at Hobart:

Hughes
Cowan
Khawaja
Ferguson
White
Paine
Smith
O'Keefe
McKay
Cameron
George

Who can we expect this time round, and how would you assess the careers of that XI in the 3 years since?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2002/03 Australia A side:

Elliot
Maher
Love
Blewett
Clarke
North
Haddin
Hauritz
Noffke
Clark
Williams

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gee that middle order and seam attack have fallen away big time since.
I think Cam White's probably been the big disappointment. He's always averaged around 40, has played in County cricket for years and actually had the Australia A captaincy.

edit: I also think it's quite funny that pretty much a full Test attack (Bird, Starc, Pattinson, Lyon) has emerged in the last 3 years, none of whom played for the A side.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyway, to answer your query Furball

Hughes - Keeps scoring runs in the Shield, test cricket a different beast
Cowan - Got a decent run in the side, but never really nailed a place down
Khawaja - Has never come close to recapturing his 2010/11 form
Ferguson - Never really been a great FC bat
White - Forgot how to bat. Recently somewhat rediscovered it, but a long way down the pecking order
Paine - Had a really bad injury and missed a lot of cricket. Fell behind Wade in the pecking order in that time
Smith - Probably the only thing close to a success story
O'Keefe - Didn't manage to maintain his awesome start to FC cricket. Quite frankly, his initial figures vastly flattered him. Still does a job for NSW in all forms
McKay - Done well in ODI's, but not really good enough as a FC bowler
Cameron - Had injury issues and moved stats. Don't really know how he's going now.
George - Not sure why he was ever a contender. Rubbish really. Quite funny that he played test matches when looking at Australia's seam stocks now.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I also think it's quite funny that pretty much a full Test attack (Bird, Starc, Pattinson, Lyon) has emerged in the last 3 years, none of whom played for the A side.
Yeah, that's the odd thing. Starc, Patto and Lyon were taking test wickets against New Zealand a year after that game, while none of the A bowlers ever made a test squad after that game.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Cameron retired due to injuries. Was never able to play a game for WA.

Unfortunate too as I reckon he's among our best quicks.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought this was going to be a comparison of the quality of Aus A teams with the disgusting current one which went to SA compared to older respectable ones. Form permitting, my A team this summer would be.
Silk
Hughes
Maddinson
Doolan
Burns
Wade
Forkers
Cutting
Chadd
Sandhu
Fawad

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
South London
Library, South London
Games Expo, London
South Oz
England
Tassie
London
Sydney
London
Somewhere in Oz
Adelaide

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Cameron's only just 32 as well - if his body held together, he could have really pushed for a Test spot. Looked seriously good back when he was picked for the A team.