• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010/11 Aus vs 2013 Aus

Ruckus

International Captain
Who would win? Taking in mind, you can't assume the players match the value they are on paper - i.e. form at the time has to be taken into consideration (e.g. Ponting looked terrible during the 2010/11 series).

A typical 2013 side:

Warner
Rogers
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Starc
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

A typical 2010/2011 side:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Doherty

Think it would be pretty tight. Would give it to the 2013 side though. Every aspect of the bowling is superior - Harris >Johnson, 2013 Siddle>2010 Siddle, Starc>Hilf, Lyon>Doherty. Plus the batting isn't really much different when you take into account how woeful Ponting and Clarke were. The strength of Hussey is probably what slightly tips the batting towards the 2010 side.

I would say the Eng 2010 side was better in both batting and bowling than the present one though, so it's interesting we are probably gonna be going down 4-0 here, an even worse showing than before.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I largely agree with you. The one crucial difference is the role that Swann has been able to play this time, which has given our bowling something that they didn't have in 2010/11.

I suppose the other thing is the margins if victory in the two series. To date, only one of the tests has seen anything like the 3 innings victories last time out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
current aussie team would win quite easily IMO, the bowling is the only major difference in the sides and the current team are destroying (well, doing pretty damn well anyway) with the ball right now.

Ruckus

International Captain
Not sure that 4-0 away is worse than 3-1 at home (with 3 innings defeats) is it??
yeah I guess that's why you could (and certain players like Ponting) have argued we have performed better than the scoreline suggests. We lost an extremely close first match, and then choked pretty epically in another, so the nature of defeats definitely haven't as been as clear cut as in 2010/11. That's neither here nor there for me though, because choking is just as bad as losing by a big margin - it still indicates there are massive frailties in the side.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah I guess that's why you could (and certain players like Ponting) have argued we have performed better than the scoreline suggests. We lost an extremely close first match, and then choked pretty epically in another, so the nature of defeats definitely haven't as been as clear cut as in 2010/11. That's neither here nor there for me though, because choking is just as bad as losing by a big margin - it still indicates there are massive frailties in the side.
Be hard pressed to argue that a 4-0 (if indeed it is that) scoreline doesn't flatter us quite a bit. 2010/11 was a huge margin between the 2 sides and this series has been much closer contested.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
How much of this is due to Harris being fit? Tt seems questionable to claim progress based upon that.
we bowled trash last time, no control, no penetration, and our spinners were woeful.

Siddle, Starceh and Harris have given us much more than the pacers back in the last series. While Lyon and Agar have done a little better than last series with Doherty and Beer

Ruckus

International Captain
What about 2009 team vs this one then? Clarke, Watson, Haddin all roughly the same as they are now. Ponting and North very good, Katich decent, Hussey pretty poor. Fast bowling was the same make-up as 2010, but slightly improved due to Hilf and Johnson being in better form. Hauritz was also better than Doherty, but not as good as Lyon imo (not much in it though).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How much of this is due to Harris being fit? Tt seems questionable to claim progress based upon that.
Harris played 3 Tests last time out, the difference is not having a spud like Johnson bowling crap and feeding Cook's cut shot.

This Australia side would beat the 2009 side as well, I'd back this Aussie side to induce a couple of collapses that win Tests, much like what actually happened in 2009.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Harris played 3 Tests last time out, the difference is not having a spud like Johnson bowling crap and feeding Cook's cut shot.

This Australia side would beat the 2009 side as well, I'd back this Aussie side to induce a couple of collapses that win Tests, much like what actually happened in 2009.
Effectively 2. With 1-1 results in the two he was fit for the whole test in....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He bowled 20 odd overs at Melbourne and Australia were well out of the game by the time he pulled up injured.