• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Australia have their "test side for the first test in Australia" thread, so why not have our "squad for Australia" thread. England took 17 players last time, took 18 to India, and I can't see them wanting to reduce their options for the nine FC matches on tour, so we'll say pick 18 names. I've grouped them in batting, keeping, spin and seam sections, with the order just sorted by where they bat or the pecking order in my head.

Batsman
Alastair Cook
Nick Compton
Michael Carberry
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Joe Root
James Taylor

Wicketkeepers
Matt Prior
Steven Davies

Spinners
Graeme Swann
Monty Panesar

Seamers
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Tim Bresnan
Steven Finn
Chris Tremlett
Graham Onions

Bairstow is done IMO, at least if he fails at the Oval. Get Root back to six and have Carberry and Compton have a shoot out for the second opening spot, with the one who loses being the reserve opener. Taylor can be the reserve middle order bat. Panesar hasn't had the greatest season, but he's still a proven test spinner and an able backup for Swann. Seamers are just the six who have been in and around the side this season. Don't really know if it's worth taking anyone else instead of one of those six.

91Jmay

International Coach
Batsman
Alastair Cook
Nick Compton
Sam Robson
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Joe Root
James Taylor

Wicketkeepers
Matt Prior
Jonny Bairstow

Spinners
Graeme Swann
Simon Kerrigan

Seamers
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Tim Bresnan
Steven Finn
Chris Tremlett
Jamie Overton

Kerrigan gets the nod because we aren't going to play two spinners, so might as well get him around the squad and see what he is like in a warm up game or two. Onions I don't see being suited to any Aussie pitch, so Overton comes on a scholarship of sorts. He has genuine pace and bounce as well. Bairstow will be on the plane, but I like him more as the backup glove-man with Taylor as the middle order back up. Robson/Compton fight it out for opener.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Bairstow
Taylor
Prior
Swann
Panesar
Anderson
Broad
Bresnan
Finn
Tremlett
Onions

Maybe take Compton as the reserve opener. Can't see any new faces for the tour, they will be with the loins and Compo might be with them anyway.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sames squad as Flibberty, Pretty easy tbh - no point with leftfield selections because the Lions/Academy are based in Australia over teh winter as well

Can't see them dropping Bairstow from the whole squad and he provides wicketkeeping backup, Taylor might start the series though

If a few need a rest for the mid series tour game draft them in from the seconds.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Batsman
Alastair Cook
Joe Root
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Nick Compton
James Taylor
*Morgan might get picked in the squad as well at a guess.

Wicketkeepers
Matt Prior
Jonny Bairstow

Spinners
Graeme Swann
Monty Panesar

Seamers
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Tim Bresnan
Steven Finn
Chris Tremlett
Graham Onions

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bats

Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Robson
Taylor

Wkt

Bairstow (reserve wkt)
Prior

Bowlers

Anderson
Broad
Bresnan
Tremlett
Finn
Rankin
Onions
Swann
Kerrigan

Think Bairstow is worth his place as he can also fill in as a reserve wicket keeper. Kerrigan is out there but there's not a chance we'll play 2 spinners at any point so he's only out there in case Swann breaks down.

Last edited:

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Compton might get taken as cover but I will be astonished if Carberry gets a callup.

Sam Robson is 25 years old and is topping the run charts in Div 1 - he's got to be a shoo in, surely...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Onions I don't see being suited to any Aussie pitch, so Overton comes on a scholarship of sorts. He has genuine pace and bounce as well. Bairstow will be on the plane, but I like him more as the backup glove-man with Taylor as the middle order back up. Robson/Compton fight it out for opener.
I don't like the idea of going horses-for-courses when picking the squad. Maybe it'd work for particular tests, but it's too much of a generalisation to think Australia=fast bouncy wickets. Conditions in Australia haven't been very predictable this past few years.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lions at best I'd say - it's not like he's backed it up season after season to warrant such an elevation.
I think with Oz sniffing around we'll want to get him involved ASAP...

Overton isn't a bad shout either - he's definitely one for the future

Realistically though, I think we'll probably only take 16 players in the main squad

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't like the idea of going horses-for-courses when picking the squad. Maybe it'd work for particular tests, but it's too much of a generalisation to think Australia=fast bouncy wickets. Conditions in Australia haven't been very predictable this past few years.
Yeah. Bresnan came in partly for the Melbourne pitch last time as well. If Onions can reverse swing he's a good option, especially if Anderson is injured.

I'd leave Finn at home. Sick of seeing him get dropped in the middle of all his series against good opposition. The idea of him as your outright pace option is a myth, he doesn't 't bowl faster than Anderson in Tests. Tremlett is better of you want to bring in a big man as well. I'd sooner take someone like Woakes who represents a change of plan.

91Jmay

International Coach
No way they can justify Buttler over Davies. Poor FC record. Bairstow as the backup WK makes most sense to me.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way they can justify Buttler over Davies. Poor FC record. Bairstow as the backup WK makes most sense to me.
Meh, they've picked Eoin Morgan for England before, safe to say they don't care that much about FC records.

I dunno myself, I think the fact that the A-Team tour is in Oz at the same time, means the main squad will be more a negotiation. I expect all the experienced guys to get the nod, but really wouldn't be surprised if there is an injury that they'll bring in some-one performing very well for the Lions.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cabinet96 said:
England took 17 players last time, took 18 to India, and I can't see them wanting to reduce their options for the nine FC matches on tour, so we'll say pick 18 names.
On this - wasn't there an extra player in India because KP was left out and then brought back after they named the squad?