• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See, it's post like this that piss me off. Woakes has played all of his tests, and probably will play all his tests in the forceable future, as an all-rounder, batting in the top seven. Dernbach is a terrible comparison because they're by no means like for like replacements. If you would honestly rather have Dernbach batting at six in a test match if it meant no Woakes, then, well...
Haha I knew you'd bite; that's why I didn't bother.

It reminded me of Hinton's post the other day comparing Moeen Ali to Boyd Rankin.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
See, it's post like this that piss me off. Woakes has played all of his tests, and probably will play all his tests in the forceable future, as an all-rounder, batting in the top seven. Dernbach is a terrible comparison because they're by no means like for like replacements. If you would honestly rather have Dernbach batting at six in a test match if it meant no Woakes, then, well...
I hate Jade Dernbach. He is a ****.

But while we are on the subject Chris Woakes opens the bowling for Warwickshire and bats at 7. And if I did want another bowler in the side it doesn't mean they would be batting 6.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bopara booking his place on the plane for Australia today! Especially as Taylor and Ballance missed their only chance to shine. Can't wait to see Ravi walking out to bat at 6 at the Gabbatoir!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steady on young man.

See how he shapes up versus ver crims first at least, eh?

All due etc to Ireland's attack, but their best bowler was in our XI. Plus it looked road central too, judging by the highlights.

Although part of me wants to see it happen just to see Scaly's reaction... ;whistling

Howe_zat

Audio File
Steady on young man.

All due etc to Ireland's attack, but their best bowler was in our XI. Plus it looked road central too, judging by the highlights.

Although part of me wants to see it happen just to see Scaly's reaction... ;whistling
That's not even slightly true, afaic. I'm not all that convinced Rankin makes their top three at home.

theegyptian

Steady on young man.

Yes I was being a tad mischievous although he will certainly come under consideration. 6 spot is still pretty wide open really. Don't think Taylor has convinced anyone yet. Ballance probably hasn't had enough exposure yet. Bairstow dropped. Whoever they pick is gonna be a big gamble.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Do we think there is any way on earth that Compton is a chance back at the top for the GABBA with Root back to 6?? This is by far my prefered line-up but I fear the selectors have committed to Root as an opener and there will be no turning back.

Tangles

Runs for him in the lead up games with Root missing out might make them reconsider.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
would make me very happy if they brought back Compton and he failed, would love to see some England fans scratching their heads

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think many are under any illusions about Compton.
Success for him would be a late 30s average, soaking up a lot of balls, and getting the odd big score on very flat decks.
The reason that's such an attractive proposition is that root would then get to bat in the middle order, where he's far, far superior to Bairstow.

Root's already a better opener than Compton, but the difference is not as large as the middle order batting difference between Root and Bairstow.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Do we think there is any way on earth that Compton is a chance back at the top for the GABBA with Root back to 6?? This is by far my prefered line-up but I fear the selectors have committed to Root as an opener and there will be no turning back.
Mine too.

Well, Compo or Robson, actually. As both were reared on harder decks of SA & Oz respectively, I think they're likely the best equipped to cope.

Agree the hope's a slim one too, sadly. My take is the selectors see Root as the opener for the next decade and a half.

Me, I think the extra bounce in Oz will trouble him, being essentially a backfoot player.

Hope I'm wrong tho, but.

Tangles

Sitting on the back foot with sideways movement and bounce, which you get opening in Australia, are likely to cause him a lot of problems.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not sure what problems moving Root back down to 6 would resolve. I'd rather see Ravi given a good run in the Test Team at 6, he can bowl a few overs too.

If Bopara was given the same amount of time as Bell, Trott etc.. in the team he would be just as successful.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
When I say just as successful I don't mean in # of runs, I mean in that he will score runs for us and make 100s. He's the closest thing we have to Pietersen when he gets going.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry Jack but thats rubbish mate........right up there with saying Bressy is behind, Finn, Rankin, Tremlett and Onions as our best 3rd seamer.

Can only think you're taking the piss.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
don't get too comfortable up on your pedestal there Adders! Can't say I agree with this Jackbyrne guy much though

Last edited:

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry Jack but thats rubbish mate........right up there with saying Bressy is behind, Finn, Rankin, Tremlett and Onions as our best 3rd seamer.

Can only think you're taking the piss.
How am I taking the piss?

Bopara gets given 4 tests, Bell can go 35 innings without making a score but he will keep getting the chances?

Bopara can take attacks apart on his day, second fastest hundred by an Englishman yesterday only behind KP.

Onions is a far more effective bowler than Bresnan.

Just because my opinion doesn't coincide with yours or the Flower Powers doesn't mean I am taking the piss does it?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How am I taking the piss?

Bopara gets given 4 tests, Bell can go 35 innings without making a score but he will keep getting the chances?

Bopara can take attacks apart on his day, second fastest hundred by an Englishman yesterday only behind KP.

Onions is a far more effective bowler than Bresnan.

Just because my opinion doesn't coincide with yours or the Flower Powers doesn't mean I am taking the piss does it?
Ok, first up I'll appologise......I've been hugely critical of some long term posters doing exactly what I've just done with opinions they disagree with. Thanks Max for pulling me up also:ph34r:

In my defence though my "taking the piss" comment was more to do with Ravi being so unpopular round here that I genuinely thought you might be on a wind up.......clearly your not, so lets discuss...........

Bopara has played 13 tests not 4 and he hasn't cut it. Valuable ODI player for us but I just don't see a test batsmen there.

Compton has played 9 tests during which he laid some good foundations for us to go on with........he never should have been canned in the first place IMO.

Root was doing great at 6, first time we've really been comfortable with the position since Colly......never should have been moved at this stage of his career.

Onions V's Bressy is an interesting debate and certainly one worth having. You included Finn, Rankin and Tremlett in it too though.........no debate to be had there on current form, Bressy wins out big time on all 3.

So, sorry I said you were taking the piss.....that wasn't necessary, but I do disagree with you.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Ravi nailed on surely? Can fit in to the XI as our best batsman; or as opening partner for Jimmeh. He's the Jacques Kallis of England really, but just better in all aspects of the game.

But seriously. I'd get him on the plane. He can't do any worse than Bairstow at 6, and offers a more than handy 4th seamer option. Could certainly hold up an end, and has a bit of a golden arm. I'd back him to do well. I think he deserves one more go at the highest level. He was woeful in 2009, but he did manage 3 centuries in 3 innings against the WI (albeit an awful WI side), and did decently against India when he was given a go in 2011. The only issue is, that his red ball form hasn't been the best this season. Averaging 29.5 from 13 innings, but since his 145 against Glamorgan in May, he's only played 2 FC games for Essex, and only played 3 innings (2 of those he got a duck, but we'll ignore that). Right, forget this, I'm just going to say it. I'm biased, I love Ravi, and would love to see him back in the Test side, and will do any skewing of statistics I can to make him look good. For example: He has 15 wickets at 23 this season. That makes him one of the best seam bowlers in the country. #ScalyLogic #RaviForeverStokesAndBairstowNever

Also, Adders, did you say Ravi is 'so unpopular on here'? Get out of here son. Plainly obvious to most that Ravi is the most popular cricketer on CW ATM. Everyone's loving a bit of RSB at the minute.

Last edited: