• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Colville just said on The Verdict that Jordan playing today means he'll have to requalify if he wishes to play for the WI as the Lions count as a 'senior England side'.
I think Colville is wrong actually.

Boyd Rankin played first played for the Lions on August 16, 2011 and then played an ODI for Ireland a week later. And it's true that there are different rules for going from an associate side to a full member side, but going from a full member side back to any side incurs the same rules, as we saw with Ed Joyce having wait for years after playing for England to play for Ireland again. If the Lions counted as a senior side then it'd mean Rankin would've had to wait the four years before playing for Ireland, and he didn't. I don't think it counts.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Colville is wrong actually.

Boyd Rankin played first played for the Lions on August 16, 2011 and then played an ODI for Ireland a week later. And it's true that there are different rules for going from an associate side to a full member side, but going from a full member side back to any side incurs the same rules, as we saw with Ed Joyce having wait for years after playing for England to play for Ireland again. If the Lions counted as a senior side then it'd mean Rankin would've had to wait the four years before playing for Ireland, and he didn't. I don't think it counts.
Maybe it is different as Rankin has a British based family but Jordan is from Barbados so doesn't have one. I don't know, wouldn't be the first time Charlie has got something wrong. Or is it a new rule brought out recently?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss, Nasser and Athers' squad for those who weren't watching:

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Bairstow
Taylor
Prior
Anderson
Broad
Swann
Finn
Bresnan
Tremlett
Onions
Panesar

And Woakes if they can take a seventeenth

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hard to really disagree too much with it really. Not convinced with Bairstow, but they need a back up keeper.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think the squad needs an extra batsman who can bat in the top 3. If any of the top 3 were to get injured or something, you don't have a suitable replacement. So I would either bring in another player or make the decision now on which quick to leave out for someone like Compton.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the squad needs an extra batsman who can bat in the top 3. If any of the top 3 were to get injured or something, you don't have a suitable replacement. So I would either bring in another player or make the decision now on which quick to leave out for someone like Compton.
They'll have backups with the Performance Squad anyway.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Given that the performance squad is out there, surely the players you want on the squad are the players you might play for tactical reasons, not reserves?

If so it really raises questions over why we'd bother to take a second finger spinner. Two in the attack in Australia isn't an option.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss, Nasser and Athers' squad for those who weren't watching:

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Bairstow
Taylor
Prior
Anderson
Broad
Swann
Finn
Bresnan
Tremlett
Onions
Panesar

And Woakes if they can take a seventeenth
Squad I named about a week ago.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Is Buttler any good in first class cricket? Seemed like a nice clean striker and reasonably competent keeper when they came here for the limited overs.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Is Buttler any good in first class cricket? Seemed like a nice clean striker and reasonably competent keeper when they came here for the limited overs.
Depends who you ask, if you ask Bob Willis then he's superb if you ask anyone who pays attention to CC then no or at least not good enough to justify a test selection in either discipline at this stage.

If Trott was injured would they just move Bell to 3 like Trent Bridge '11.?

Also probably worth pointing out we only took 5 seamers down last time and called up Shahzad when Broad got injured iirc.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, Shahzad went with them originally, as the sort of 17th that Strauss was talking about on Sunday.

Personally reckon we'd need 6 fast bowlers for a tour of 9 FC games in Australia.