Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

England to score 650 and win by an innings.

Prior to ton up, Haddin to get a pair.
    Swann to take 18 wickets.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    We will win and make it 4-0. These Saffers oops I mean Aussies choke when in a winning position.

International Debutant
    Draw for me this one. England set 500 odd first innings as Cook/Trott have to get runs but Clarke/Warner tons to match them.

First Class Debutant LegionOfBrad's Avatar
    Bairstow out surely. Need to try someone else at 6 and the series in won.

I'd love to see Stokes and Panesar/Kerrigan come in for Bairstow and Bresnan in isolation just because I love the idealism of a 5 man attack with two spinners turning it in opposite directions at the oval. In reality Stokes almost certainly isn't ready and I think it's very important for england to keep winning/australia keep losing. There hasn't been much between the teams apart from England know how to win and Australia don't at present. It's important for the next series going forward in Australia that they don't let australia win this last test.

There is no way England play two spinners in Australia so it's not really a legitimate tactic to try out (Stokes, Kerrigan). If they were playing in asia this winter I would definitely be trying the 5 bowler combo with Stokes/Bopara as the number 6 batsman/3rd seamer.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 12-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    I'd love to see Stokes and Panesar/Kerrigan come in for Bairstow and Bresnan in isolation just because I love the idealism of a 5 man attack with two spinners turning it in opposite directions at the oval. In reality Stokes almost certainly isn't ready and I think it's very important for england to keep winning/australia keep losing. There hasn't been much between the teams apart from England know how to win and Australia don't at present. It's important for the next series going forward in Australia that they don't let australia win this last test.

There is no way England play two spinners in Australia so it's not really a legitimate tactic to try out (Stokes, Kerrigan). If they were playing in asia this winter I would definitely be trying the 5 bowler combo with Stokes/Bopara as the number 6 batsman/3rd seamer.
    Well Monty is on the naughty step at the moment, I wouldn't have minded them doing that for the Oval, if not. Kerrigan is just not good enough, sorry, but he isn't. I would have tried Stokes with Panesar, but blimey that really looks like rewarding bad behaviour as it is.

BTW don't think it'll be a draw, reckon the way pitches are going now, they've got a bit of juice underneath from yearss of wetness before this summer, but they've left a dry top on a decent Summer.
    Last edited by grecian; 12-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Not looking forward to this.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well Monty is on the naughty step at the moment, I wouldn't have minded them doing that for the Oval, if not. Kerrigan is just not good enough, sorry, but he isn't. I would have tried Stokes with Panesar, but blimey that really looks like rewarding bad behaviour as it is.

BTW don't think it'll be a draw, reckon the way pitches are going now, they've got a bit of juice underneath from yearss of wetness before this summer, but they've left a dry top on a decent Summer.
    Don't see how you can say the bolded with any certainty. Looks average with the white ball and lancs acknowledge that by not being a first team regular in that but all his success has been with the red ball. Performed well with the lions including 6 for against aus a last summer. Bowls a lot of overs and takes a lot of wickets. May not be good enough but don't see how you can say that with any certainty.

First Class Debutant LegionOfBrad's Avatar
    Would honestly prefer potential Swann successors not to be playing much with the white ball. They learn to bowl darts in the short game. Swann will play on for years though you would think.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Don't see how you can say the bolded with any certainty. Looks average with the white ball and lancs acknowledge that by not being a first team regular in that but all his success has been with the red ball. Performed well with the lions including 6 for against aus a last summer. Bowls a lot of overs and takes a lot of wickets. May not be good enough but don't see how you can say that with any certainty.

Just doesn't look it to me I'll say anything I want in a definitive way, I enjoy it, and it annoys people, and that's always something I enjoy even more

Actually really think it would be a pisser to throw him in ahead of monty in a test, a man who has taken 160 odd test wickets and is brilliant at the Oval.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    4-0 England. It's....gonna happen.

The Aussie XI won't change much, for mine. Starc in for Bird, Watson (caught) in (front again), someone (anyone...) in for Khawaja.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Will Watson be fit?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Debutant
    Bresnan's place should not even be under consideration IMO. Rest Jimmy for Tremlett and give Bairstow one last chance.

Quote Originally Posted by LegionOfBrad View Post
    Would honestly prefer potential Swann successors not to be playing much with the white ball. They learn to bowl darts in the short game. Swann will play on for years though you would think.
    said after elbow surgery he wants to play on towards 40, can't see him going anywhere soon
    There are two colours in my head

Blehhhstow has to go, give Taylor a run out, i'ld like to see Monty and Tremlett playing to.

Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information