• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England to score 650 and win by an innings.

Prior to ton up, Haddin to get a pair.
Swann to take 18 wickets.

91Jmay

International Coach
Draw for me this one. England set 500 odd first innings as Cook/Trott have to get runs but Clarke/Warner tons to match them.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd love to see Stokes and Panesar/Kerrigan come in for Bairstow and Bresnan in isolation just because I love the idealism of a 5 man attack with two spinners turning it in opposite directions at the oval. In reality Stokes almost certainly isn't ready and I think it's very important for england to keep winning/australia keep losing. There hasn't been much between the teams apart from England know how to win and Australia don't at present. It's important for the next series going forward in Australia that they don't let australia win this last test.

There is no way England play two spinners in Australia so it's not really a legitimate tactic to try out (Stokes, Kerrigan). If they were playing in asia this winter I would definitely be trying the 5 bowler combo with Stokes/Bopara as the number 6 batsman/3rd seamer.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd love to see Stokes and Panesar/Kerrigan come in for Bairstow and Bresnan in isolation just because I love the idealism of a 5 man attack with two spinners turning it in opposite directions at the oval. In reality Stokes almost certainly isn't ready and I think it's very important for england to keep winning/australia keep losing. There hasn't been much between the teams apart from England know how to win and Australia don't at present. It's important for the next series going forward in Australia that they don't let australia win this last test.

There is no way England play two spinners in Australia so it's not really a legitimate tactic to try out (Stokes, Kerrigan). If they were playing in asia this winter I would definitely be trying the 5 bowler combo with Stokes/Bopara as the number 6 batsman/3rd seamer.
Well Monty is on the naughty step at the moment, I wouldn't have minded them doing that for the Oval, if not. Kerrigan is just not good enough, sorry, but he isn't. I would have tried Stokes with Panesar, but blimey that really looks like rewarding bad behaviour as it is.

BTW don't think it'll be a draw, reckon the way pitches are going now, they've got a bit of juice underneath from yearss of wetness before this summer, but they've left a dry top on a decent Summer.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Well Monty is on the naughty step at the moment, I wouldn't have minded them doing that for the Oval, if not. Kerrigan is just not good enough, sorry, but he isn't. I would have tried Stokes with Panesar, but blimey that really looks like rewarding bad behaviour as it is.

BTW don't think it'll be a draw, reckon the way pitches are going now, they've got a bit of juice underneath from yearss of wetness before this summer, but they've left a dry top on a decent Summer.
Don't see how you can say the bolded with any certainty. Looks average with the white ball and lancs acknowledge that by not being a first team regular in that but all his success has been with the red ball. Performed well with the lions including 6 for against aus a last summer. Bowls a lot of overs and takes a lot of wickets. May not be good enough but don't see how you can say that with any certainty.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Would honestly prefer potential Swann successors not to be playing much with the white ball. They learn to bowl darts in the short game. Swann will play on for years though you would think.

grecian

Don't see how you can say the bolded with any certainty. Looks average with the white ball and lancs acknowledge that by not being a first team regular in that but all his success has been with the red ball. Performed well with the lions including 6 for against aus a last summer. Bowls a lot of overs and takes a lot of wickets. May not be good enough but don't see how you can say that with any certainty.

Just doesn't look it to me I'll say anything I want in a definitive way, I enjoy it, and it annoys people, and that's always something I enjoy even more

Actually really think it would be a pisser to throw him in ahead of monty in a test, a man who has taken 160 odd test wickets and is brilliant at the Oval.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4-0 England. It's....gonna happen.

The Aussie XI won't change much, for mine. Starc in for Bird, Watson (caught) in (front again), someone (anyone...) in for Khawaja.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bresnan's place should not even be under consideration IMO. Rest Jimmy for Tremlett and give Bairstow one last chance.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Would honestly prefer potential Swann successors not to be playing much with the white ball. They learn to bowl darts in the short game. Swann will play on for years though you would think.
said after elbow surgery he wants to play on towards 40, can't see him going anywhere soon

Pothas

Not sure I would make any changes at this stage. I really want to see Tremlett back and I would take him to Australia but would like him in county cricket untill the end of the season see if he can take wickets on a more regular basis, Bresnan has been very solid since he came back anyway. Bairstow is obviously an issue and there is the Root opening question, I was in favour at the start of the series but it is clearly something they need to think about. Would see how they go in this last test and review it at the end of the series.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Worry about the Root issue when the series is over, said all along that Compton should never of been dropped and it should of stayed as it is, pretty sure we wouldn't of been 3 wickets down early in nearly every innings if Compo was there, wanna see Taylor get a shot also so that would mean Root staying up top for this test.

It really was awful management by Flower and co not to say to Compton after the NZ series that he was starting the Ashes, truly dreadful, he had done everything asked of him and up until that point, we would of seen a different Compton in those home tests v NZ for sure.

Last edited:

Pothas

Well they probably got it wrong but I think Compton would have had a very tough time against this attack, obviously we will never know.

91Jmay

International Coach
Compton wouldn't have lasted long against Harris/Siddle IMO. His technique looked shot against NZ.