• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I was thinking about this last night, the brand of Cricket that Australia has played throughout the series has been pleasing. Even if I was a neutral I think throughout the series I would say that I've been entertained more by Australia.. End of the day though, I would much rather be clinical and win Test matches so full credit to England who have been so impressive in their ability to always find a way to win/draw.
I agree, their spastic collapses in the 3 Tests they've lost have been most entertaining.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oz batsmen flat track bullies, IMHO.

All their significant runs have come on the two roads, which distorts the overall figures for the series.

Lovely drive from Root there. Chance for the boy to fill his boots here.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They try to start carefully and accelerate later when the bowlers are into their third and fourth spells. It's usually a pretty good strategy.
not a good look when they play **** shots and get out in the 2nd/3rd spells though is it? The problem with not imposing yourself on the bowling is that they are always in the game and the dot balls tend to help their confidence.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook playing the pull shot (when he actually times it) is just about his only attractive shot, certainly his most attractive by a mile.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know we have just started but at current rate it would take until around lunch on Sunday for us to be level with Australia's first innings score.

Zzzzzzz
Do you not watch cricket or know anything about it?

The spell batting last night was not about scoring runs quickly it was about seeing off the new ball and getting to the close unscathed. Job done. Today if they bat 98 overs out at less than 3 an over then by all means criticise them but don't bag them when they are playing themselves in again against the oppositions best 2 bowlers. Todays run rate is good anyway so i have no clue what you are moaning about.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cook's not an attractive batsmen, tbh.

I mean, he's a handsome man (never confused...), but his batting looks stilted and robotic. Doesn't have the fluidity a lot of the very best batters show.

I suspect if he wasn't scoring runs for the side of righteousness I'd hate watching him.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook's not an attractive batsmen, tbh.

I mean, he's a handsome man (never confused...), but his batting looks stilted and robotic. Doesn't have the fluidity a lot of the very best batters show.

I suspect if he wasn't scoring runs for the side of righteousness I'd hate watching him.
yeah pretty much

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The Australian quicks don't average significantly less than the English ones. Harris does, but that's offset by the enormous difference in the Swann vs Agar/Lyon stats.

Plus, it's doubly misleading to loom at the batting stats at this moment in time when Australia have had their first innings on a road when England have barely started.
The lack of 5fers for Oz was the telling stat.

Also if England rack them up today all the batting stats will likely go around to them.

England don't tend to lose 7-8 wickets in an hour which is why Oz have been stuffed in this series.

Spark

Global Moderator
England have had Ian Bell. That's really it, tbh. And Swann, though that sort of balances out with the quicks.