• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
looks like I'll have to watch the first session with the grandparents, would be unsociable to take the computer down with me, so I'll be devoid of CW which is a shame, I've gotten too used to the luxury of reading the match threads while watching cricket,

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Eng have no chance of reaching 300 tonight unless KP does something as Cook, Root, and Bell are all blockers of the highest order whilst Trott varies between comatose and run a ball

Reckon (I.e. hope) they will be bowled out today trying to play for a draw from ball one
Yep, their side is imbalanced in favor of defensive players. Been that way for a good while. You need players like Cook and Bell, but you don't want five of them batting in a procession. That said, if they replaced Root with a more attacking player (I know he's not rated atm but Morgan could fit that bill) the balance would suddenly be massively improved. I suggest Morgan btw because I can't really think of a young English player with an attacking mindset waiting to get picked. Root and Bairstow both just look terrified of failure whenever they bat. Whether or not they have hidden dimensions to their game is hard to tell.

Who would be the next young English test batsman with attacking flair?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
win! can watch upstairs after all, can keep up with whatever bull**** smitteh stuff Spikey and Dermo post :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rhino's not quite got his juices following yet. Looks down on pace and now a no-ball.

Still a touch surprised they bothered with him for a dead rubber. Thought they'd save whatever's left of his knees for the return series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
amazing how misleading stats on face value can be. The series score is 3-0 to Eng, yet when you look at the series stats for both teams, 4 of the 5 top run scorers are Aus (and that probably won't change when Eng bat) with 4 of the Aus top order averaging over 40, whilst only 1 for Eng. And the Aus quicks averaging considerably less than their Eng counterparts.

Goes to show how important it is to play well in the right moments, something Eng have been dominating us in or some time now. That, and, Ian Bell has been an annoying **** this series.
The Australian quicks don't average significantly less than the English ones. Harris does, but that's offset by the enormous difference in the Swann vs Agar/Lyon stats.

Plus, it's doubly misleading to loom at the batting stats at this moment in time when Australia have had their first innings on a road when England have barely started.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it might be the other batsmen, but apart from KP hardly any other English batsmen have shown willingness to score at a consistently decent SR
They try to start carefully and accelerate later when the bowlers are into their third and fourth spells. It's usually a pretty good strategy.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I know we have just started but at current rate it would take until around lunch on Sunday for us to be level with Australia's first innings score.

Zzzzzzz