• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
Overhead conditions will dictate tomorrow. If there is cloud cover it will be extremely difficult, but if its sunny England should make runs. Root needs to get better at putting away those bad balls. He missed out on at least 4 easy boundaries tonight and it heaps more pressure on himself - especially against a quality bowling attack.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Overhead conditions will dictate tomorrow. If there is cloud cover it will be extremely difficult, but if its sunny England should make runs. Root needs to get better at putting away those bad balls. He missed out on at least 4 easy boundaries tonight and it heaps more pressure on himself - especially against a quality bowling attack.
Forecast is hot and sunny with maybe a bit of cloud later on. Followed by filth on Friday night through to Saturday.

And Root should be at 6.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see England bowled 5 overs in half an hour today at a time when Swann was bowling.

Stay classy guys.
Plus 9 men on the fence at one stage

Second test this series where they have been playing for a draw from early doors

Can only hope that the weather doesn't save them this time as otherwise they will be encouraged to carry on with this ****

fredfertang

Second test this series where they have been playing for a draw from early doors

Can only hope that the weather doesn't save them this time as otherwise they will be encouraged to carry on with this ****
The negative tactics make me ashamed to be English

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
The negative tactics make me ashamed to be English
Its so frustrating, i really would consider binning Flower off after the next Ashes series, all this negativity originates from him, its gradually getting worse and worse and it horrible to watch, the England side are better than that, its a struggle to understand why it has gone this way.

This match has been 4th gear so far! :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Yes, attempting to delay the declaration is a clear sign they have no desire to win.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smitteh!

Good day for us, shouldn't lose from here, but could still easily draw. Need to bowl very well.

91Jmay

International Coach
The main difference in England 2011 to this England (apart from quality) is the scoring rates. We used to put sides under real pressure with the bat, but now we don't. A large part of that is the opposition bowling much more effectively to our batsmen, however the mindset is also clearly not there for our players. I hate to say it, but there isn't much intent.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Not seen it mentioned but great post day interview, bit like Agar after the 90 odd. No 'I'm billy big bo**ox'. Was refreshing. Still love Joe Root though btw.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
The main difference in England 2011 to this England (apart from quality) is the scoring rates. We used to put sides under real pressure with the bat, but now we don't. A large part of that is the opposition bowling much more effectively to our batsmen, however the mindset is also clearly not there for our players. I hate to say it, but there isn't much intent.
I can understand play the day out none down, but it will be interesting to see the game plan on a flat pitch on another good Oval batting day. I agree with previous poster that they will have to bowl well to get wickets. Didn't cook say himself 'need no incentive to win ashes tests'? I hope so, otherwise I'll be asleep on the sofa.

Edit - working from home :laugh:

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

England back to batting as if they're in a coma then. No excuse not to score at a reasonable rate against Australia's bowling.

They do this negative ****e and they still waft away at wide deliveries every other over. Just bat ffs.

Last edited:

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
They do this negative ****e and they still waft away at wide deliveries every other over. Just bat ffs.
This wafting is only because of the default negativity. Just bat - if someone gets in.

Trouble is, who's playing for anything? Really, Joe knows he's in at number 6 even if he fails, Cook - got a knighthood coming, Trott/KP - meh, Bell? Hope Woakes does well on dayboo though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow overate I heard, classic Cook bull****, would love for him to get banned at some point because of overate, England have been hopeless thus far (although day 1 was good)