• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That being said they should have just played those nine balls. We'd have finished on 50-0 if they had.

91Jmay

International Coach
Well done, was attritional to watch but those two have blunted the new ball and survived to close. Australia well on top here, but when the sun is out the pitch looks very difficult to bowl on. First couple of hours key, and England need to be more punishing of the bad balls. The RR will get us into trouble unless it is over 3, mean we won't be close to the follow on by the time the 2nd new ball comes around if we are poking around at 2.2 RPO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done, was attritional to watch but those two have blunted the new ball and survived to close. Australia well on top here, but when the sun is out the pitch looks very difficult to bowl on. First couple of hours key, and England need to be more punishing of the bad balls. The RR will get us into trouble unless it is over 3, mean we won't be close to the follow on by the time the 2nd new ball comes around if we are poking around at 2.2 RPO.
I don't think Clarke would enforce the follow on. The pitch is too likely to wear and there's no rain forecast for day five.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think Clarke would enforce the follow on. The pitch is too likely to wear and there's no rain forecast for day five.
If the forecast is right there are only two days in the game. Dunno, can see logically why you wouldn't given how The Oval can be at the backend of a game, but it's probably their only shot at a win if we get close to the F/O target.

If they bundle us out in a session and a half tomorrow then batting again makes sense, mind.

I was thinking, on a related note, whether Clarke would be tempted to give us something chaseable on Sunday if it came to it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The thing favouring the follow on is six frontline bowlers. Giving the bowlers a rest suddenly doesn't become a serious reason for wanting to bat again.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
What are the chances that two England batsmen get tons in this innings? It hasn't happened yet in the series so credit to Watto and Smith. I don't think we'll see it given the form of Cook and Trott, however, Pietersen and Bell are probably the most likely given the state of the England's top order.

Am I being too negative?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be shocked if this game isn't a draw. The Oval is the worst ground for test cricket in England, everything is ridiculously overpriced etc, while the cricket is usually as dull as it gets. I still regret going there during the Eng/Sa game. Better of playing in Wales.
Went to the last day of the 4th Test against India and it was thrilling tbh, best day's play I've been to.

Burgey

Great performance by Smith. His improvement has been a real highlight for Australia on an otherwise disappointing tour. Hope he kicks on and has a good career for us now.

Burgey

I see England bowled 5 overs in half an hour today at a time when Swann was bowling.

Stay classy guys.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Great performance by Smith. His improvement has been a real highlight for Australia on an otherwise disappointing tour. Hope he kicks on and has a good career for us now.
Genuinely pleased for the guy, good to watch someone improving and fighting when other (alledgedly more gifted) seem incapable.