• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Bugger, hope it not a serious one and he is ok for the summer. At least the Loins are there and he can get match practice if he needs it.

Tremlett in for me, means Jimmy probably has to play now but I wouldn't be upset if he doesn't.
efa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hate hearing players are long term injured. Terrible luck for Bresnan. Seems a decent fella as well as a more than handy cricketer too.

Spikey

Daemon

His is more about the mental side of things. Poor bloke's been waiting on the sideline for ages now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His is more about the mental side of things. Poor bloke's been waiting on the sideline for ages now.
Must be a sickener and I'm sure he's gutted, but he does come across as a very together and sensible lad.

Did quite a bit of commentary for Sky when he was recovering from his various injury woes and speaks very well on the game; nice line in dry, Northern self-deprecation too.

Obviously I don't know him tho and for all I know he may be sobbing himself to sleep every night at the arbitrary injustice of it & have The Samaritans on speed dial.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Kerrigan and Woakes in the squad, along with a recall for Finn.

I'd love to see Woakes debut and do well, but I can't see him getting a game unfortunately.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon Swann might get a rest for the Oval - not convinced the selectors will want to take Kegga this winter without having had a proper look at him first

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Swann might get a rest for the Oval - not convinced the selectors will want to take Kegga this winter without having had a proper look at him first
I'm not convinced we still use the final test of the summer as a trial for the winter tour. Either Kerrigan or Tremlett depending on the state of the wicket afaics. And it will need to be an absolute beach for us to play a 2nd spinner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Monty deffo on the outers after the somewhat unfortunate security staff/urine interface incident then.

Selectors really like those runs down the order too, eh? Otherwise Woakes's call up makes no sense. Not convinced he has the armoury to trouble test batsmen on anything but the most raging greentops. & I can't see The Oval being that.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I just wonder if they'd yet consider batting him 6. I'm sure it might be an option in the future, but then I'm not sure his batting as quite good enough nor do I see the use in him as a 5th bowler..

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think they want Woakes as an option to use if they go for two spinners. I.e. if it doesn't look like it'll do a lot for the spinners, Tremlett in for Bres the only change. If it looks like a bunsen, Kerrigan in for Bresnan and Woakes in for Bairstow to keep three seam options.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England definitely not convinced who they want to replace Bresnan. 4 guys going for the one spot as I can't see anyone else being replaced. I'd of being happier leaving Finn out for another game and letting him play the county game starting the day before this test. And Tremlett can't of convinced them otherwise they'd of named a 12 or 13 man squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think they want Woakes as an option to use if they go for two spinners. I.e. if it doesn't look like it'll do a lot for the spinners, Tremlett in for Bres the only change. If it looks like a bunsen, Kerrigan in for Bresnan and Woakes in for Bairstow to keep three seam options.
Yeah this. If they play two spinners they'll want a fast bowling allrounder to bat 7 as well; that's why Woakes is there. Not a lot of opportunity cost in dropping Bairstow anyway.