• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It wouldn't have been red if it pitched a foot outside off tbh. It's red because it is fine in terms of getting an LBW, not because more than 50% of the ball is inline.
No, if it pitched outside off it would be red.

But it was in line. If it pitches in line, and straightens so that it would be hitting, how can it be umpire's call for impact? If it pitches in line it has to hit him in line.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No, if it pitched outside off it would be red.

But it was in line. If it pitches in line, and straightens so that it would be hitting, how can it be umpire's call for impact? If it pitches in line it has to hit him in line.
I meant would've tbh. No idea why I said wouldn't have. Didn't get much sleep last night.

The reason it happened though is because of the umpires call regulations for hitting in line. More of the ball was inline upon impact with the pad than pitch, but there's no umpires call margin for pitching.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** me Kegga was bad though - I was a bit concerned that the occasion would get to him, but in reality he was worse than Chris Schofield was and that's something I thought I'd never see - hope the lad sorts himself out tomorrow else he has the look of a one Test wonder about him

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only saw the highlights, but it looked real horrorshow stuff.

Only thing that mitigated his pitch map was that half of his deliveries didn't actually land at all. Think the chest high full toss Smith smacked for four was possibly the worst, but it had some serious competition.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
that's so funny watching Pieterson just stand there, that was classy :laugh:
That is the sort of thing you see in village cricket on a dark day when you can't pick it up not in a test match. Was funny the look on Swann's face as the ball went for 4.
Tbf, I was square of the wicket in the stands and I, along with multiple others, regularly couldn't see the ball. More than any other days play I've been too. Don't know what it was, but I just didn't pick i tup a lot of the time. Happened to fielders a couple of other times as well actually, just not as notably.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf, I was square of the wicket in the stands and I, along with multiple others, regularly couldn't see the ball. More than any other days play I've been too. Don't know what it was, but I just didn't pick i tup a lot of the time. Happened to fielders a couple of other times as well actually, just not as notably.
I've never been the oval but have heard plenty of players say its a hard place to see the ball. Vaughan said it today

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ah ****. What happens when you check the thread at half five when you wake up!

Was replying to Riggins who asked about Gooch standing down in 89. Was discussing it around the start of play.
I'd forgotten about Gooch doing that in 1989. Not happy memories of course.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I thought Woakes was quite good today FTR. Was never going to be causing loads of issues on a wicket like this, which is kind of ironic given this is the sort of wicket he'll play more on due to team balance, but he bowled quicker than I envisioned him to, and was pretty accurate for the most part, and had the odd LBW shout. After the first spell where Watson got after him (I didn't even think he was that bad then, Watson was very good) he had figures of 10-4-22-0 which gave me much more hope of him being able to keep things tight and build pressure during the nothing overs of an innings than I thought he would.

Edit: And I got to see his first debut live. WAFG!

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah I thought Woakesy did okay all things considered. Was never going to blow the Aussies away on that kind of pitch, but in the main kept his line and length ok.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel kind of sick saying it but my opinion of Watson may have actually improved a little bit. I mean that was a seriously good knock. We bowled pretty damn well all day (minus the obvious) and he got through that blow to the head. Seriously fair do's, although so long overdue it isn't funny (it is funny).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty poor from Bob and Corky on the verdict today. It's all good disagreeing with selection, but if they can't genuinely work out why the two new boys played then I seriously question their ability as analysts of the game. Pretty poor to question whether England are taking the game seriously as well. It's an Ashes test FFS. I feel like I can hear "complacent" again in the back of my heard when I hear people say this team wouldn't have been picked if it was one all.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah England played as hard as they could today. Just Australia batted very well and the pitch offered very little for there bowlers other than the first hour.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I didn't mind the selection. If you're gonna play 2 spinners a bowling all rounder at 6 is fine especially as they weren't getting production from Bairstow.

It all fell apart because Kerrigan couldn't land it on the pitch.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kerrigan bowling pies kind of justified the Woakes selection more though. I shudder to think what we would have done today had Bairstow played instead of him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't see the young bloke's latter offerings, but as much as I enjoy seeing an Englishman do poorly, I feel sorry for Kerrigan. The bloke is a professional cricketer but the occasion was just too much for him. Even if he goes wicketless, you'd at least like to see a bloke bowl close to his best at the highest level.