Page 5 of 240 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionOfBrad View Post
    The only time he has played for Yorkshire this season is May 5th in the pro40 against Glamorgan.Scorecard.

Judging by the team i assume he kept.
    He also played 4 first class games for Yorkshire at the start of the season and kept in all of them
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Regular
    The misuse of Carberry annoys me. Although Trott isn't a bad player there is no way our ODI team shouldn't have Carberry opening and Bell at 3. That would be an ideal of power, an innings builder and a guy who maneuvers the ball. KP at 4 obviously. In some ways we are stuck in the old English problem of the captain not being a great ODI batter. Kieswetter/Carberry would be a good opening partnership.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Johann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    The other day I was talking with someone who knows Carberry very well (has acted as his Agent in the past).

He reckons Carb feels he won't get in the Test team now (I felt he would be a good person to go in) and is now working more on his 50 over and swish and giggle game hoping to find a spot there.

This person suggested he was given mixed messages from the management just before his Test selection, and a bit afterwards.
    Think this is absolutely spot on - I'm surprised to see so many people calling for him to get a test recall based entirely on a very good YB40 and T20 Summer. 600-odd runs in Division 2 is not the kind of first class form that demands a test recall

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Johann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    The misuse of Carberry annoys me. Although Trott isn't a bad player there is no way our ODI team shouldn't have Carberry opening and Bell at 3. That would be an ideal of power, an innings builder and a guy who maneuvers the ball. KP at 4 obviously. In some ways we are stuck in the old English problem of the captain not being a great ODI batter. Kieswetter/Carberry would be a good opening partnership.
    Not Kieswetter again

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    There's plenty of reason to not do that - the old Carberry being unproven whilst Trott and Bell are proven performers being one.

Replacing Trott with Carberry you're expecting Carberry to average 50 then.

As for Kieswetter opening, that's even more of a stupid suggestion.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Regular
    He has 180 runs in 3 innings in YB40 and he has been the best T20 bat in the competition this year. He is not perfect, still quite block or slog, but he is improved and deserves another go. Idea that if a guy fails at international cricket he is useless is so dumb. If he goes away and scores bags of runs then he deserves another shot.

No I am expecting Carberry to get our innings moving in a way that doesn't put undue pressure on our middle/lower order which triggers collapse.

He has 180 runs in 3 innings in YB40 and he has been the best T20 bat in the competition this year. He is not perfect, still quite block or slog, but he is improved and deserves another go. Idea that if a guy fails at international cricket he is useless is so dumb. If he goes away and scores bags of runs then he deserves another shot.

No I am expecting Carberry to get our innings moving in a way that doesn't put undue pressure on our middle/lower order which triggers collapse.
    There was very little 'slog' in that ton last week. A lot of proper cricket shots.

If England saw Bairstow as a long-term keeper they'd rather have him keeping wicket regularly for Yorkshire than be in the side as a top six bat.

Buttler is the man they've got an eye on. He's moving to a different county to keep more because that's the plan for him.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    There's plenty of reason to not do that - the old Carberry being unproven whilst Trott and Bell are proven performers being one.

Replacing Trott with Carberry you're expecting Carberry to average 50 then.

As for Kieswetter opening, that's even more of a stupid suggestion.
    #trottsfault, he averages that and at a better s-rate than Bell, put's pressure on Ian clearly.

I still can't believe we're having the same discussions. You don't drop a guy who averages fifty, and this ****ing pressure he keeps on causing would be a damn sight worse if we were 30-3, which with Carbs, CK and Bell is quite likely.

If Carberry is concentrating on ODIs then it will be a long wait. Cook, Bell, Kp have all good recent records in the position. Hales would probably be next in line too.
    hendrix likes this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

I still think if Carberry can replicate his county list A form in ODIs (and it is a big if) then he would really add something to the opening slot but it should definetly not be at the expense of Trott. Personally I would give Cook a rest for at least part of the ODI series against Australia and maybe KP as well given there are clearly still some fitness concerns with him. That would allow them to give Carberry a chance.

Captaining back to back ashes is going to take a lot out of you and I don't think that he needs to play all those ODIs. Broad can captain, needs as much experience as he can get before the twenty20 world cup, may not be the same format but it will all help.

As for the test side, I would like him to go to Australia, his four day form has definetly improved of late but would like to see that continue towards the end of the season. Do not see anything like as much of Hampshire live as I used to so it is difficult to judge but he is definetly a different batsman in the longer forms, do not expect him to be smashing it to all parts if he plays tests.

International Regular
    Alex Hales should be behind Kieswetter/Carberry/Vince at least. Knowing how badly our selectors have there favorites he will probably be in the side before them though. I love how without blockers at the top of the order the score is 30-3 though, because thats the case for every other country who play more positively isn't it. Wait...

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Anyone want to explain wtf Scyld Berry is taking?

image.jpg
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Regular
    Racist old div by the look of it. Shock its in the Torygraph.

Oh dear....

Alex Hales should be behind Kieswetter/Carberry/Vince at least. Knowing how badly our selectors have there favorites he will probably be in the side before them though. I love how without blockers at the top of the order the score is 30-3 though, because thats the case for every other country who play more positively isn't it. Wait...
    Was the case for England, when we had the likes of CK opening and Bell at 3. In the end we can't carry on comparing ourselves to India, they have one of the all-time great ODI batting line-ups, they all score naturally quickly and average highly. We just don't have the players to do that.

Page 5 of 240 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information