• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
Woakes needs to stop with the short stuff. Bowled some decent balls first few overs, keep it pitched up!

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah. It's just him sweating on stuff outside off. If he gets a ball fed there he's in the position much much sooner than he would be if he played it on merit. That's why he ****ing bludgeons anything with width.
Do you think his technique in this regard has changed that much from when he was making some runs a few years back?

I've started thinking maybe rather than being a new technical thing it's just that the bowlers have started bowling more at the stumps. He frequently smashes balls through mid wicket for four , and plays and misses loads early outside off early. Maybe guys used to bowl a more typical outside off line to try and nick him off and it happened to play into his hands a bit.

My biggest issue with Watto I think is that for his whole innings, he's never in. He seems to be just as likely to miss a middle stump half volley on 65 as 0, so if you keep bowling middle stump half volleys he'll eventually get out, and much sooner than it should be. Someone like Ponting, even though he was acknowledged as an LBW candidate early, once he got in if you kept bowling there he would destroy you.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey ajdud:

@StarsBBL: Don't forget @StarsBBL Test Trivia is back at 10pm! Super dooper prizes up for grabs during the 5th Test :) #starstesttrivia

91Jmay

International Coach
Not a good start overall from Woakes, only drew two false shots and given plenty of four balls. Seamer on for me, don't fancy Kerrigan this early against Watson.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you think his technique in this regard has changed that much from when he was making some runs a few years back?

I've started thinking maybe rather than being a new technical thing it's just that the bowlers have started bowling more at the stumps. He frequently smashes balls through mid wicket for four , and plays and misses loads early outside off early. Maybe guys used to bowl a more typical outside off line to try and nick him off and it happened to play into his hands a bit.

My biggest issue with Watto I think is that for his whole innings, he's never in. He seems to be just as likely to miss a middle stump half volley on 65 as 0, so if you keep bowling middle stump half volleys he'll eventually get out, and much sooner than it should be. Someone like Ponting, even though he was acknowledged as an LBW candidate early, once he got in if you kept bowling there he would destroy you.
He's always been a super strong front foot player and someone who likes to dominate no question, but I've got a theory that he's just taken it to a new level the last few seasons and almost came out there with a pre meditated plan to hit as many fours as possible in the hope he spreads the field, just like a one day game. This has made him even more on edge and results in a lean. Dunno, just my weird theory on it.

But yeah no doubt people have figured him out more than they have earlier in his career.

ajdude

International Coach
Hey ajdud:

@StarsBBL: Don't forget @StarsBBL Test Trivia is back at 10pm! Super dooper prizes up for grabs during the 5th Test :) #starstesttrivia
yeah i saw that. wonder how bakers baker will like it when i win?

edit: it's tickets to the first game, i already won 4 of those ffs

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do. He's always been like this to some extent, it's not totally a new problem by any stretch, but I do think it's more pronounced now. At his best Watson scored a lot of runs straight down the ground (as he does as I type this) and through straight midwicket. It's always a good sign when Watson's flick for four actually goes between midwicket and mid on rather than between midwicket and square leg; it's a real pointer to him batting well as it means his head is more or less over the ball at the point of contact. He hasn't hit the ball straight of midwicket with any regularity since the 2009/10 season really.

Last edited:

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Atherton drawing a pretty thin bow with his comments about Warne getting wickets in Brisbane.
Yeah wasn't expecting him to basically shoot Warne down in flames like that. Obviously the absolute hammerings doled out by Warne and co still smart all these years later.

Watto looking imperious here, thank god it's just in time for this dead rubber.

Riggins

International Captain
You reckon that's a Shane Watson plan or a Random Coach X plan? edit @b3nchmark

Last edited: