• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is when he is set and has his eye in he still gets out the same way. Can't say it is something that only happens when he is new to the crease.
When Watson gets out LBW when he's set it's often a case of the ball nipping back and missing the bat, not necessarily trying to play across square on the leg side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See that shot just there? 12.2 overs. That was more what I'm talking about what he should do instead of looking to hit it to fine leg. It's not exactly a block but when he looks to hit it to fine leg he is just completely asking for trouble.
He looks to hit it to fine leg when his head falls further away to the off side than that because his technique has forced him to. It's not a conscious decision; it's definitely more a fault in his technique than it is poor shot selection.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He looks to hit it to fine leg when his head falls further away to the off side than that because his technique has forced him to. It's not a conscious decision; it's definitely more a fault in his technique than it is poor shot selection.
Yeah agree its a technqiue issue, but that's not how batting has to work all the time. His head falls further away because he commits too early obviously but he needs to just always be playing that little bit straighter on balls that are aimed at his leg.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously, has any top order batsman in test history looked so likely to get out whilst playing a front foot forward defensive as Shane Watson?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah agree its a technqiue issue, but that's not how batting has to work all the time. His head falls further away because he commits too early obviously but he needs to just always be playing that little bit straighter on balls that are aimed at his leg.
It doesn't work like that. :laugh: He can't get his bat straighter from the position he's in. It's so much easier said than done. Trying to change what he does at the end really won't work at all; he needs to address the initial technical fault.

Spikey

here's the answer guys: cut out the cover drive and bring in the slog sweep. problem solved.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It doesn't work like that. :laugh: He can't get his bat straighter from the position he's in. It's so much easier said than done. Trying to change what he does at the end really won't work at all; he needs to address the initial technical fault.
He can I tell you. I have played Super International Cricket and scored so many runs hitting it down the ground, I think I know a thing or two.

benchmark00

He can I tell you. I have played Super International Cricket and scored so many runs hitting it down the ground, I think I know a thing or two.
Everyone knows the most prolific shot in super international cricket is walking inside the line of the ball, hold the top L and R buttons and hitting it for six down to fine leg.

Burgey

You can see Watson's head often isn't straight as the bowler lets the ball go. That's what does him in and makes him play across his pad. He should maybe do the Langer trick of squaring up his melon and tucking his chin into his front shoulder a bit more.