• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Burnley Express deserves a chance to put his feet up, and Tremlett really ought to play if he's fit - might be the last time that ever happens

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
No reason for England to change the side if all are fit.

They can trust in Bairstow - the days of one or two games for a youngster and if you don't produce you are gone are past. One good score could launch his career. They can afford to wait.

No worthwhile logic in 'resting' Anderson here.

I trust nobody wants Bresnan dropped.

grecian

They won't change anyone, I'd make a few changes, but I'm an idiot as my posting yesterday pretty much confirmed.

I'd go

Cook
Carberry
Trott
Taylor
Bell
Root
Bresnan
Broad
Tremlett
Panesar

Think Tremlett and Panesar are horses-for-courses picks on this pitch, Root can bowl a bit of Off-spin too. Carbs is in such form, and can make use of the pitch to get us off to a flier. KP just doesn't look quite right to me, think he could do with a rest.

Yet none of this will happen, and we'll be unchanged.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Identify quality and stick with it = always a good policy.

If he was tecnically or psychologically weak it would be a different matter.
He is technically weak, though. If he was technically weak and actually scoring runs it would be a different matter, but he's scored two fifties in his last eight tests.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
The other day I was talking with someone who knows Carberry very well (has acted as his Agent in the past).

He reckons Carb feels he won't get in the Test team now (I felt he would be a good person to go in) and is now working more on his 50 over and swish and giggle game hoping to find a spot there.

This person suggested he was given mixed messages from the management just before his Test selection, and a bit afterwards.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
He is tecI]h[/I]nically weak, though. If he was technically weak and actually scoring runs it would be a different matter, but he's scored two fifties in his last eight tests.
Some good judges felt Viv Richards was technically weak.

Turns out he wasn't.

I don't think Bairstow is either.

It's often a matter of a small tweak or two (as top golfers like Nick Faldo will tell you from another 'hit the ball' sport).

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh I totally agree, which is why I've been calling for Bairstow to be dropped for ages. He barely averages more than Tim Bresnan FFS.
Luckily I suspect the England Management know rather more about Bairstow's qualities and abilities than you do:dry:

And they also know to play the long game where possible.

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Some good judges felt Viv Richards was technically weak.

Turns out he wasn't.

I don't think Bairstow is either.

It's often a matter of a small tweak or two (as top golfers like Nick Faldo will tell you from another 'hit the ball' sport).
He has had the same technical weakness the entire time he has played tests though (shovelling through leg) he should be removed and told to go work on it away from the test arena. He's not scoring runs and looked like a frightened rabbit in the first innings at C-le-S.

Vic Marks was saying in the guardian that he will be a perpetual tourer as he can act as the back up wicket keeper if Prior breaks a finger on the morning of an away test, and that's part of the reason they're trying to blood him.

grecian

He has had the same technical weakness the entire time he has played tests though (shovelling through leg) he should be removed and told to go work on it away from the test arena. He's not scoring runs and looked like a frightened rabbit in the first innings at C-le-S.

Vic Marks was saying in the guardian that he will be a perpetual tourer as he can act as the back up wicket keeper if Prior breaks a finger on the morning of an away test, and that's part of the reason they're trying to blood him.
Buttler is favoured by England management ATM, for that reserve 'keeper thing, when did Bairstow last 'keep?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Luckily I suspect the England Management know rather more about Bairstow's qualities and abilities than you do:dry:
Logics like this are terrible on a forum. By that account we can never disagree with anything England, or even Australia, do, which means we can't give our own opinions on team selection etc, because our knowledge and understanding is completely inferior to those of the teams managements and selectors.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Buttler is favoured by England management ATM, for that reserve 'keeper thing, when did Bairstow last 'keep?
The only time he has played for Yorkshire this season is May 5th in the pro40 against Glamorgan.Scorecard.

Judging by the team i assume he kept.

Last edited:

grecian

Not in test cricket, surely? Much more likely to use Bairstow, Davies or even Kieswetter.
Hey, I'm not in favour myself, just looking at the fact he's been picked as 'keeper in all the Lions squads. He did get that 100 on Sky remember......