• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

the big bambino

International Captain
That article from Lehmann is ok. Just a bit of sledging. As for its timing, well if he said it earlier he'd be called a whinger. Say it now to stir up the home fans. Not that we'll have any trouble hating Broad.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
you don't stir **** up by calling someone a "blatant cheater" IMO, that's a pretty serious accusation

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
None exactly. I didn't mean for it to sound as though I'm quoting the selection panel, it was more a combination of things throughout the series. Hughes starting at six and being dropped for a RH batsman, Khawaja coming in and struggling to spin, Wade's inability against spin in India and Clarke+Smith doing relatively well against Swann this series.

But Faulkner's not really a batsman. Its arguable the batting maybe stronger with Faulkner instead of an underperforming Cowan, Hughes, Ussie but the likely fix for our problems in the top order isn't coming from a bits and pieces all rounder who bats right handed.
You've never seen him bat so..

I haven't said Faulkner is the next Miller and a longterm solution btw, just saying its not a bad choice for a Test that doesn't ultimately mean much and sends a message to the dropped batsman that they need to perform.

Nah he made that up. Very typical NUFAN post. No-one is more obsessed with batting handedness than him. Not even Swann.
Ha, I wouldn't say I'm exactly obsessed with it.

So we picked Faulkner because we are that afraid of Swann? If true that means the NSP is as mentally weak as most of our batting lineup.
Not afraid of Swann exactly but not happy with Hughes, Khawaja, Cowan and maybe Wade's ability to handle him. I better stress that this is my thoughts and I haven't actually read or heard the selectors say this..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
you don't stir **** up by calling someone a "blatant cheater" IMO, that's a pretty serious accusation
Yeah, exactly. That's not just standard banter, and the last thing the bogan faction of our fans and media need is another excuse to carry on about a batsman not walking, just because the umpire was blind enough to not give him out when it was really obvious. His pretty much blamed the poor umpiring on Broad; it's a joke article. Not only that but he completely undermined what Clarke said as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Two extra points. Yes Rogers is left handed and he has done very well, I'm happy for him. If this Test was in Australia and during the Shield season I would not pick Faulkner. But its not, so I'm happy and looking forward to his debut.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
NUFAN: I think this left hander against Swann thing may change a little now, we have picked two left armers, who are going to run straight into where Swann will pitch the ball to RHs, although I've argued with mods over it I still think Swann is a significant threat to RHs this game with those footmarks, I hardly think Faulkner being a RHer is gonna help tbh.

the big bambino

International Captain
You've never seen him bat so..

I haven't said Faulkner is the next Miller and a longterm solution btw, just saying its not a bad choice for a Test that doesn't ultimately mean much and sends a message to the dropped batsman that they need to perform.
Still doesn't make him a batsmen. No message really sent when the batsman dropped knows it not a permanent selection policy.

As for Broad if he didn't cheat it was close. Cynical atleast. What he did makes the accusation plausible and is a consequence of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NUFAN: I think this left hander against Swann thing may change a little now, we have picked two left armers, who are going to run straight into where Swann will pitch the ball to RHs, although I've argued with mods over it I still think Swann is a significant threat to RHs this game with those footmarks, I hardly think Faulkner being a RHer is gonna help tbh.
Argued with mods over it? :lol:

We don't make cricket posts as mods; they don't hold special significance.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, exactly. That's not just standard banter, and the last thing the bogan faction of our fans and media need is another excuse to carry on about a batsman not walking, just because the umpire was blind enough to not give him out when it was really obvious. His pretty much blamed the poor umpiring on Broad; it's a joke article. Not only that but he completely undermined what Clarke said as well.
Triple M's target market is bogans, was speaking exclusively to them.

I'll tell you what though, it puts pressure on his own players to walk. Almost ramming it down their gobs that they have two options:

a) walk, or;
b) don't walk and you're on your own.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Argued with mods over it? :lol:

We don't make cricket posts as mods; they don't hold special significance.
I find the mods harder to argue with personally, it was also a bit of a disclaimer for you and the others not to swoop in on me over that again :p

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To save me wading through the impenetrable bits of cricinfo, is there a good reason this game is starting on a Wednesday?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Really wish that wasn't the case. You only need to see as mods while we're moderating. We don't have extra stature while talking cricket.
oh no it isn't that, it's just that the mods tend to have been here a while and are thus excellent posters, have the same problem with guys like Benchy and Son of Coco