Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 3591
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

  1. #3541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kicking back in clover with Johnson & Friends
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Incorrect, they made sure Australia wouldn't win, something Australia seem to have forgotten how to do.
    Australia arrived in England a shambles and returned with renewed confidence because England are reluctant to pull the trigger lest the gun might misfire. England's lack of self-belief is its glass ceiling. Australia now looking forward to the return series with confidence.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 28-08-2013 at 01:06 AM.

  2. #3542
    State 12th Man wiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mt Colah
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I think the difference is that test wasn't a dead rubber, this test was. If the test wasn't a dead rubber and Australia was ahead in the series I reckon Clarke would probably shut up shop.

    The reward of 3-1 outweighs the risk of 4-0 IMO.
    Yes, what a difference if Clarkey had been at 2-1 in front. I don't think he would of been so gung ho. I fully expected England to show no compromise, and I'm sure Steve Waugh used to grind the opposition into dust, batting on and on to eliminate the possibilty of losing first. Let's not forget that a whole day was lost, so the spectacle was diminished. If we had the extra day, the unfolding events would of been much more gripping. England trying to hold on, while the Aussies desperate for a win. The last day fiasco was due to the weather.

  3. #3543
    State Vice-Captain Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,399
    England are the better test team right now and it's not about hand eye coordination at that level. It plays a part but you don't have to be Bradman, Warne or McGrath to contribute. We're we are weak is in having enough players with the heart to fight hard when the chips are down. The reasons for this are hard to pinpoint. I'm sure T20 and ODIs along with the cash around have played a role but that can't be all of it. I grew up watching Border, Boon and Steve Waugh tough it out for the team. Maybe the younger guys just don't have that reference point.

  4. #3544
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    England are the better test team right now and it's not about hand eye coordination at that level. It plays a part but you don't have to be Bradman, Warne or McGrath to contribute. We're we are weak is in having enough players with the heart to fight hard when the chips are down. The reasons for this are hard to pinpoint. I'm sure T20 and ODIs along with the cash around have played a role but that can't be all of it. I grew up watching Border, Boon and Steve Waugh tough it out for the team. Maybe the younger guys just don't have that reference point.
    England are the better team now because the Australian team lacks Test experience. You mention Steve Waugh but he wasn't anything special in his first 20 odd Test matches, not that many people are.

    We are currently playing 7 out of 11 players with under 30 Test matches. You could argue that Harris and Rogers are experienced enough in first class cricket so don't count, but that still leaves 5 players who are finding their feet at the international level. England have 8 players with over 45 Test matches in their best XI. Its great that they are blooding a couple of younger players but they are still probably the weak links in the team because they aren't so consistent. England are a professional, experienced outfit, Australia are trying hard to be but are currently not.


  5. #3545
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Hooksey, the Aussies have just lost their 3rd consecutive Ashes series by 3 - zip............worry about your own ****ing tactics mate because Englands seem to be working just fine.
    You'll probably think I'm picking on you judging by how you reacted when I dared agree with someone who suggested this before, but I only bother making this post to you because the majority of your posts are good. I make this post not as a moderator giving you instructions, but merely as a senior member giving you advice.

    That was a terrible post, and exactly the sort of thing that we pride ourselves on CW of not having much of. I actually fully agree with you that Hooksey's opinion on this issue is complete bollocks and I made that clear before he even posted it, but that's because of the content of his argument and not the team he supports. I have severe doubts over whether he actually watched Day 3 judging by his posts and his false bravado is something that I think will hold Australian cricket back quite a bit in a time of not having the best team in the world. However, CW is not a place where we have our own mini-Ashes, arguing the case for our nation and trying to defeat the 'opposition' posters, so dismissing his opinion as invalid merely because the team he happens to follow lost 3-0 is straight up warmongering. The competition happens out on the field and you'd be a far better contributor if you didn't see the match threads as yet another competition.

    Your role as a member here is not to defend or promote your team, but to discuss the events with other serious cricket fans. Treating everyone who happens to follow Australia as if they're the same person, making several posts about "Aussie posters" as if they all share the same opinions and replying to people as they're walking novelty-sized Australian flags will make the forum an awful place. That was Howe's point when he told you that GotSpin and LongHopCassidy were in fact different people, and that's my point again when I'm telling you that Hooksey's post was poor because he was chatting **** and not because his team lost 3-0. He's perfectly entitled to have an opinion on England's tactics and captaincy whether or not the side he supports is winning or not; it's just a shame he decided to use that entitlement to sprout chest-beating rubbish. I think you're better than doing that though.
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    ~ Cribbage

  6. #3546
    International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    4,803
    I feel in spite of this that England were a little out-maneuvered and out-thought at times though (think, plans to Cook/Prior/Trott), and some of the Australian talent on show was arguably a little better than England's at times. But as we've all said, England stepped up when it mattered and ultimately the settled nature of their team was hugely important.
    Howe_zat likes this.
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

    I even made a domestic thread

  7. #3547
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I feel in spite of this that England were a little out-maneuvered and out-thought at times though (think, plans to Cook/Prior/Trott), and some of the Australian talent on show was arguably a little better than England's at times. But as we've all said, England stepped up when it mattered and ultimately the settled nature of their team was hugely important.
    In fairness you don't need a plan to most of the Aussie top 6 beyond 'hit the cut strip'.

    England's plans to Clarke were as good as any of Australia's plans ftr.

  8. #3548
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I feel in spite of this that England were a little out-maneuvered and out-thought at times though (think, plans to Cook/Prior/Trott), and some of the Australian talent on show was arguably a little better than England's at times. But as we've all said, England stepped up when it mattered and ultimately the settled nature of their team was hugely important.
    Very fair.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

  9. #3549
    International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    4,803
    That's not to say that England didn't have good tactical moves (Clarke plans as GF said) and moments of brilliance either. They played some superb cricket at times (Bell, Anderson/Swann/Broad) all putting awesome performances in at different points.

  10. #3550
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Incorrect, they made sure Australia wouldn't win, something Australia seem to have forgotten how to do.
    Nah Australia are pretty good at ensuring Australia won't win.
    L Trumper and marc71178 like this.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  11. #3551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kicking back in clover with Johnson & Friends
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You'll probably think I'm picking on you judging by how you reacted when I dared agree with someone who suggested this before, but I only bother making this post to you because the majority of your posts are good. I make this post not as a moderator giving you instructions, but merely as a senior member giving you advice.

    That was a terrible post, and exactly the sort of thing that we pride ourselves on CW of not having much of. I actually fully agree with you that Hooksey's opinion on this issue is complete bollocks and I made that clear before he even posted it, but that's because of the content of his argument and not the team he supports. I have severe doubts over whether he actually watched Day 3 judging by his posts and his false bravado is something that I think will hold Australian cricket back quite a bit in a time of not having the best team in the world. However, CW is not a place where we have our own mini-Ashes, arguing the case for our nation and trying to defeat the 'opposition' posters, so dismissing his opinion as invalid merely because the team he happens to follow lost 3-0 is straight up warmongering. The competition happens out on the field and you'd be a far better contributor if you didn't see the match threads as yet another competition.

    Your role as a member here is not to defend or promote your team, but to discuss the events with other serious cricket fans. Treating everyone who happens to follow Australia as if they're the same person, making several posts about "Aussie posters" as if they all share the same opinions and replying to people as they're walking novelty-sized Australian flags will make the forum an awful place. That was Howe's point when he told you that GotSpin and LongHopCassidy were in fact different people, and that's my point again when I'm telling you that Hooksey's post was poor because he was chatting **** and not because his team lost 3-0. He's perfectly entitled to have an opinion on England's tactics and captaincy whether or not the side he supports is winning or not; it's just a shame he decided to use that entitlement to sprout chest-beating rubbish. I think you're better than doing that though.
    As you said, we all entitled to discuss the events here. But your "I have severe doubts over whether he (Hooksey) actually watched Day 3" is, to put it in your jargon, "complete bollocks".

    Thanks for the luke warm welcome though.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 28-08-2013 at 04:15 AM.

  12. #3552
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,107
    How is Hooksey's opinion even remotely "chest-beating"? He straight out said the opposition are more talented ffs

  13. #3553
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooksey View Post
    As you said, we all entitled to discuss the events here. But your "I have severe doubts over whether he (Hooksey) actually watched Day 3" is, to put it in your jargon, "complete bollocks".

    Thanks for the luke warm welcome though.
    I'll take your word for it that you watched the play because I don't think I've ever been more infuriated on here than when someone kept assuming I hadn't watched much cricket lately just because I disagreed with them despite the fact that I watch more cricket than I'm even really happy to admit. So it was slightly poor form on my part to make the assumption that your poor post was borne of not watching the game rather than poor analysis.

  14. #3554
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    17,424
    Worst apology ever.

    Hooksey on debut has been solid.

  15. #3555
    State Captain Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Worst apology ever.
    Better than the one I never got.
    We are the army, the Barmy Army
    Oh we are mental, and we are mad
    We are the loyalest, cricket supporters
    That the world has ever had


    http://youtu.be/bzcfFyh30_Y



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Fourth Test at The Oval
    By Spark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1214
    Last Post: 22-08-2011, 11:37 PM
  2. *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG
    By Craig in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3603
    Last Post: 15-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  3. *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3905
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 03:25 PM
  4. *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 2955
    Last Post: 28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
  5. ***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 1596
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •