Page 231 of 240 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 3591
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Heard about PEWS' bet no doubt.
    Would've bowled Harris for more than five overs in the second dig if he had, WAC.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Would've bowled Harris for more than five overs in the second dig if he had, WAC.
    He got injured didn't he?

I reckon yesterday was pretty gutting for australia even though they got away with a draw. They probably thought we'd declare and England wouldn't go for it, we'd take a few wickets and end the series on a +ve. Instead as England have done throughout the series they stepped it when they needed to and basically produced a perfectly timed runchase on a wearing wicket.

For as close as Aus have been through the series, England have been pretty clutch in the key moments or maybe Australia have choked or a mixture of both. Regardless England know how to win, Australia don't right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post

For as close as Aus have been through the series, England have been pretty clutch in the key moments or maybe Australia have choked or a mixture of both. Regardless England know how to win, Australia don't right now.
    Not 100% convinced, apart from at Durham maybe. Certainly wasn't their fault that it rained at Old Trafford. And if anything, we were the ones who almost couldn't seal the deal at Trent Bridge given how many their 10th wickets added in each innings. At Lord's they were simply stuffed and I'm not drawing many conclusions from events at The Oval given the artificial nature of their 2nd innings and the declaration. But they were never going to bowl us out in 44 overs, I think.
    Son Of Coco likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    I'm not sure if you could come up with a consistent standard. I don't know if a light meter reading in one country would reflect the same conditions as the same reading in another. There are also other considerations dependent on individual ground conditions - quality of sightscreens, size of stands etc. Especially if you are taking into account the conditions for the fielding side.

Some of the cant produced by the talking heads on this is IMO ridiculous. The only reason the crowd were booing was because it was England who were 'robbed'. Had Australia been on the verge of victory they would have been cheering. Remember 2005? Or, another occasion i recall - when Ramprakash and Atherton were offered the light at Lords vs Windies in 2000 (the day we bowled them out for 54).

No doubt there should be something done about the slow over-rates - it simply should not be acceptable to deliberately slow the game down when in trouble - but all talk about never going off under flood lights etc is nonsensical with a red ball. Maybe one solution would be to revert to "offering the light", but offer it to both teams, but with the offer only being made to the fielding side once they have bowled the overs they were expected to bowl at the time of the offer (eg. if they have been in the field for 3 hours when the light offer is made, then they can't accept until they have bowled 45 overs). Umpire's discretion could be employed on any time-wasting by the batsmen.
    I think this post has gone under-appreciated - seems like a very valid suggestion and should do a better job of striking a balance between ensuring fairness and avoiding gamesmanship.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Sorry but why are we discussing England's negative batting from days ago? Don't know if people have noticed but that's allowed.

Pathetic time-wasting, constantly harassing and crying at the umpires isn't. And that was what cheated England out of a Test victory, and it was yesterday not 3-4 days ago.

We should be discussing what length of ban Clarke should be getting.
    Then Cook should be banned as well for endless timewasting to secure the draw at Old Trafford.

They both did it, it worked perfectly, and there is absolutely no chance that they will not do it again. Its cheating and cheating of the very worst kind as it also cheats everyone in attendance.

Its done because the umpires and/or the ICC just cant be bothered to deal with it. football is often ridiculed but something like that would never be allowed in football. Waste ten seconds at a throw-in or goal kick and its a yellow card. another ten secs, and your off with automatic ban and the whole lot. and the seconds lost will be added. In cricket, well waste an hour, fine, who cares. The overs will most likely be lost, so good tactics. it works.

Its absolutely astonishing that cricket doesnt care. And all those flat pitches as well.. Half the test teams barely play tests any more but how can anyone really be surprised when cricket, alone among sports, allows tactica that ruin the game.
    hendrix likes this.

International Debutant
    Yeah I agree with the post above me. Time wasting should be fined with penalty runs, that would stop it dead.

I have also been having a think about some positive rule tweaks recently, one I think would be useful is something along the lines of 'If combined 1st innings scores exceed 1200 runs, that venue is barred from hosting Test cricket for the following two summers'. Not sure if that is doable or even desirable but it may spice up a few pitches. I know in England that a venue wouldn't risk missing out on test cricket for two years and would produce more result pitches.

The wicket would have been fine if the five days were played imo.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Yeah I agree with the post above me. Time wasting should be fined with penalty runs, that would stop it dead.

I have also been having a think about some positive rule tweaks recently, one I think would be useful is something along the lines of 'If combined 1st innings scores exceed 1200 runs, that venue is barred from hosting Test cricket for the following two summers'. Not sure if that is doable or even desirable but it may spice up a few pitches. I know in England that a venue wouldn't risk missing out on test cricket for two years and would produce more result pitches.
    The idea of penalty runs has been nrought up a number of times and it seems a pretty good one. How many runs would you penalise the offending team? In my opinion it would have to be reasonably substantial to deter captains from trying to waste time. With the second suggestion I think there's a difference between deliberately creating flat, dry tracks and having a pitch normally play that way. You'd be asking a curator to attempt to artificially create a playing surface that might not be possible in certain areas. Although I'd be very surprised if many grounds had an issue with the combined 1st innings total being more than 1200 runs. How many times has that happened in the past 20 years?

I think the better approach would be to come down heavily on grounds where the surface is noticably different to what it normally is if there's no apparent reason for it being that way (changing/unusual weather conditions being a good reason for a change in playing surface conditions). It would be a pretty hairy area to have to make a decision on though. You'd create more issues than you'd fix I reckon.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 26-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Just read a positive tweet Michael Vaughan twatted about the Australian cricket team(reposted via S.Warne)...he must've fallen down the stairs at The Oval and bumped his head. Very unlike him.

not enough has been said of swingpanzee's brief cameo late on day 5 imo, unfortunately came at a time when many of his admirer's were asleep

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    not enough has been said of swingpanzee's brief cameo late on day 5 imo, unfortunately came at a time when many of his admirer's were asleep
    really? ****, would have been worth staying up for, what did he say? CW man of the series IMO
    Last edited by Maximas; 26-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    There are two colours in my head

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    The idea of penalty runs has been nrought up a number of times and it seems a pretty good one. How many runs would you penalise the offending team? In my opinion it would have to be reasonably substantial to deter captains from trying to waste time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC Laws of Cricket - Law 42.9 & 42.10
    9. Time wasting by the fielding side

It is unfair for any fielder to waste time.

(a) If either umpire considers that the progress of an over is unnecessarily slow, or time is being wasted in any other way, by the captain of the fielding side or by any other fielder [...]
    The bowler’s end umpire shall,

(iii) either, if the waste of time is not during an over, award 5 penalty runs to the batting side and inform the captain of the fielding side of the reason for this action
    or, if the waste of time is during the course of an over, direct the captain of the fielding side to suspend the bowler forthwith. The bowler thus suspended shall not be allowed to bowl again in that innings.
    If applicable, the over shall be completed by another bowler, who shall neither have bowled any part of the previous over, nor be allowed to bowl any part of the next over. [...]

10. Batsman wasting time

It is unfair for a batsman to waste time. In normal circumstances, the striker should always be ready to take strike when the bowler is ready to start his run up.

(a) Should either batsman waste time by failing to meet this requirement, or in any other way, the following procedure shall be adopted. At the first instance, either before the bowler starts his run up or when the ball becomes dead, as appropriate, the umpire shall

(i) warn both batsmen and indicate that this is a first and final warning. This warning shall apply throughout the innings. The umpire shall so inform each incoming batsman. [...]
    (b) If there is any further time wasting by any batsman in that innings, the umpire shall, at the appropriate time while the ball is dead
    (i) award 5 penalty runs to the fielding side.
    If bowlers got suspended, as per the laws of the game, the problem would cease very quickly.

Yeah that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    really? ****, would have been worth staying up for, what did he say? CW man of the series IMO
    his usual cricinfo commentator impersonation, backed up by some recycled opinions. riveting stuff

Thread Information