• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Ruckus

International Captain
Well he's called a bowling allrounder isn't he? I would pretty much call Starc that at this stage as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Honestly I can't in good conscious call Faulkner an all rounder. He's capable of a good knock, but so is Starc, Pattinison, Harris, Agar, Johnson and even Siddle. Are they all rounders?

Gotta ask yourself two questions:

1. Is putting Faulkmer in ahead of Usman Khawaja improving the batting? No.
2. Is putting Faulkmer in ahead of Bird improving the bowling? No.
Here's two questions for you..

Is Watson, Faulkner and Starc likely to score more runs than Khawaja in poor form, Watson and Bird?
Is Watson, Faulkner and Starc likely to take more wickets than Khawaja, Watson and Bird?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping Tremlett plays tonight because its good watching him bowl, but he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing. If he goes for plenty he could be on the edge of selection for the Australian tour.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Clarke: I want Uzi dropped. He doesn't work hard or do his homework.
NSP: ok but you don't get Hughes or Wade
Clarke: Yout flying in a batsman. Who is it?
NSP: nope your getting Faulkner, Maxwell is busy
Clarke: ****

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hoping Tremlett plays tonight because its good watching him bowl, but he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing. If he goes for plenty he could be on the edge of selection for the Australian tour.
That's pretty sound logic actually. However, I think that Flower and Cook are a bit smarter than that. They know he's not 100% recovered from a long lay-off and they know what he did last time out there, so I reckon he's safe enough even if he plays and does badly.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Faulkner is liked for his 'fighting spirit' apparently, I think they know they ****ed up
When they selected the squad or when they drop, select and shuffle the order just to protect Shane "the Chosen One" Watson?

the big bambino

International Captain
Man...

Enjoy your debut Faulkner experience.
Yeah ok; I said you got me.

As for the selectors being sick of Cowan, Usman and Hughes...well that will last until the replacements fall short. Then its what abt Cowan, Hughes and Usman.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really don't get the relevance of Watson and Starc in this?
As soon as the announcement was made I was annoyed that it appeared as though we are weakening the batting but I honestly don't think it has been weakened as Starc is better than Bird clearly and Khawaja was down on form so Faulkner just needs to the job that Watson did last Test and its clear that this lineup is better batting wise.

I think the key message out of Faulkner's selection is that the selection panel are not happy with Cowan, Hughes, Khawaja and perhaps Wade so think none of them deserve to play in Test match cricket until they have improved. Faulkner hasn't had the chance yet, he has been improving throughout his career, has performed quite strongly for Australia in International matches, has scored 82 runs and been dismissed just the once on tour and with the series already decided they want to give him a chance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As soon as the announcement was made I was annoyed that it appeared as though we are weakening the batting but I honestly don't think it has been weakened as Starc is better than Bird clearly and Khawaja was down on form so Faulkner just needs to the job that Watson did last Test and its clear that this lineup is better batting wise.

I think the key message out of Faulkner's selection is that the selection panel are not happy with Cowan, Hughes, Khawaja and perhaps Wade so think none of them deserve to play in Test match cricket until they have improved. Faulkner hasn't had the chance yet, he has been improving throughout his career, has performed quite strongly for Australia in International matches, has scored 82 runs and been dismissed just the once on tour and with the series already decided they want to give him a chance.

These are worse than my Maxwell posts. Pull your head in.

benchmark00

Who's more likely to make a meaningful contribution? Faulkner or Hughes? They may (although I dispute it but its reasonable suggest) both be as likely to fail, but Hughes is far more likely to make a meaningful contribution to Faulkner. So is Khawaja (a fifty in this series) and god help me, Wade.

Using a test match to see how players go is not how test cricket should be played. Why are we in the business of handing out caps to blokes just to see where they're at? Pick a team to give you the best chance of winning a test.

It's honestly the most disappointed I've been with an Australian selection since forever. Other times inferior players have been selected, but on this occasion not only has an inferior player been selected, he's been selected contrary to balance and the demands of the team.

benchmark00

And make no mistake, I want Forkers to succeed as much as any bloke, I'd love for him to come out and make 200 and take five in each innings, but it would still be a poor selection policy despite this.

I'm for Forkers being around the limited overs stuff, but this is just crazy.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
And make no mistake, I want Forkers to succeed as much as any bloke, I'd love for him to come out and make 200 and take five in each innings, but it would still be a poor selection policy despite this.

I'm for Forkers being around the limited overs stuff, but this is just crazy.
Is he even suited to English conditions? I haven't seen a whole lot of him but he seems to be a hit the deck kind of bowler, can swing it though I spose