• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
look I'm not going to pronounce Cook to be a good captain because I think he's ****, but there's nothing wrong with "not losing" as your first priority when your strength is winning by grinding teams, day by day, test by test into the ground.

Asking Trott, Cook or Root to bat anything other than their natural game of eliminating risk (Ian Bell might even fit into this category lately) is just stupid. Root, Bell, driving against fast Harris away swingers would end in disaster for them.

Instead they chose to recognise good bowling and play to the situation and their skill set.
But who sets that situation?

I think there is far to much criticism of how England played at times and far too little criticism of those awful pitches they deliberately prepared.. .

The oval test was ittle more than a joke. A contrived final day doesnt change the fact that this was an impossible surface made for mindnumbingly dull cricket which will no doubt lead to the death of test cricket if continued. The truly sad thing was, that England did this on purpose..

Of course they should play to their advantages but its not ok to set up conditions that ruin the game. If England are playing football against brazil they dont run a plow through the Wembley pitch to negate their opponents skills.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How could you not know it was against SA? Most played cricket moment of the year. Haven't got TV in Durham yet?