Page 229 of 240 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 3591
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

  1. #3421
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,190
    You can score at a reasonable pace in the context of the bowling standard and the conditions without collapsing horribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #3422
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    They weren't thinking 'oh well' at the prospect of 4-0 though, clearly they were thinking about trying to make it 3-1.

    I don' think you're seriously suggesting a team would fail to take the series in context and start not caring when it's 1-0 or 0-0. There's no comparison to what happened in this test.
    It's exactly the attitude the minnows display at times. Lots of talk about improving and competing so they can hopefully win, not much actual winning.

    This test didn't show the attitude taken to the extreme end of the scale no, and I never said it did. I was replying to someone who said "oh well, 4-0 isn't any different to 3-0" o something along the lines.

  3. #3423
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    If you then want to argue a reasonable pace was what Eng were going along at, well then that's simply where I disagree. I don't think the bowling nor the conditions warranted such slow batting.
    Teams have also been collapsing in a heap for years being too attacking when a more circumspect approach would be more applicable. The players aren't just there to entertain the crowds either - some are playing for their futures and throwing your wicket away in such circumstances could cause a player to 'miss' the plane to Australia.

    I'm gonna agree with Border, Clark and Julian on this one and respectfully disagree with you.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  4. #3424
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It seems from the post match celebrations that England players have expressed their disappointment at the state of the pitch.
    From the footage I saw they were struggling to get it off the square like it was Day 3 all over again.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.


  5. #3425
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It's exactly the attitude the minnows display at times. Lots of talk about improving and competing so they can hopefully win, not much actual winning.

    This test didn't show the attitude taken to the extreme end of the scale no, and I never said it did. I was replying to someone who said "oh well, 4-0 isn't any different to 3-0" o something along the lines.
    Do the minnows lose more games than they win due to an attitude problem or a lack of ability though? You can have the best attitude in the world, but if the other team is better than you are then you'll still lose 9 times out of 10.

  6. #3426
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Do the minnows lose more games than they win due to an attitude problem or a lack of ability though? You can have the best attitude in the world, but if the other team is better than you are then you'll still lose 9 times out of 10.
    Or 7 in 9 in your lots case.

  7. #3427
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Sorry but why are we discussing England's negative batting from days ago? Don't know if people have noticed but that's allowed.

    Pathetic time-wasting, constantly harassing and crying at the umpires isn't. And that was what cheated England out of a Test victory, and it was yesterday not 3-4 days ago.

    We should be discussing what length of ban Clarke should be getting.


    My theory is his time wasting was a massive '**** you' to Cook and co.

  8. #3428
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Do the minnows lose more games than they win due to an attitude problem or a lack of ability though? You can have the best attitude in the world, but if the other team is better than you are then you'll still lose 9 times out of 10.
    It cuts both ways though because even in the case of minnows, I imagine losing that much just gets to you after a while. There have been plenty of one-day innings where I've seen Bangladesh not even try to chase the target and just sort of accept defeat, hoping for one of their batsmen to get a hundred or something.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

  9. #3429
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Or 7 in 9 in your lots case.
    But we lose to the best of the best

    Let's face it, we've always struggled in India so playing 4 tests there against India, and then having to back up and play The Ashes there against England was always going to be a struggle.

    And I like our odds better. Can't believe people suggest we don't play for the draw enough, 2 out of 9 is probably more than S.Waugh achieved in his whole captaincy career.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 26-08-2013 at 03:48 AM.

  10. #3430
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It cuts both ways though because even in the case of minnows, I imagine losing that much just gets to you after a while. There have been plenty of one-day innings where I've seen Bangladesh not even try to chase the target and just sort of accept defeat, hoping for one of their batsmen to get a hundred or something.
    I don't think we have to worry about that with Australia.

  11. #3431
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    But we lose to the best of the best

    And I like our odds better. Can't believe people suggest we don't play for the draw enough, 2 out of 9 is probably more than S.Waugh achieved in his whole captaincy career.
    Both those games lost a day+ to rain anyway as well.

    I would say the playing for a draw is far less a worry than the ridiculous batting collapses that you have had time and again over the year. They are the reason England will be favourites in the winter as well.

  12. #3432
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Both those games lost a day+ to rain anyway as well.

    I would say the playing for a draw is far less a worry than the ridiculous batting collapses that you have had time and again over the year. They are the reason England will be favourites in the winter as well.
    I assume you thought my comment on the draw was something about England? If so, not so.

    They have been bad, but then again we also managed the two highest scores of the series...more of the latter and less of the former would be good.

  13. #3433
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I assume you thought my comment on the draw was something about England? If so, not so.

    They have been bad, but then again we also managed the two highest scores of the series...more of the latter and less of the former would be good.
    No I knew it wasn't, I was defending your lot. In all probability you would have won at OT without the rain and this last match would have been a cracker with an extra day.

    For all the talk of our weak batting we got 6 scores over 300 in the series and weren't out for under 200 at any time. Not a bad effort but obviously not great.

  14. #3434
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,248
    Only reason they urinated on the pitch is because they were too far from the garden at 10 Downing Street to do it there.

  15. #3435
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    No I knew it wasn't, I was defending your lot. In all probability you would have won at OT without the rain and this last match would have been a cracker with an extra day.

    For all the talk of our weak batting we got 6 scores over 300 in the series and weren't out for under 200 at any time. Not a bad effort but obviously not great.
    England far more consistent, no doubt. Even when we made an early breakthrough or 3 there wasn't a collapse. Very solid effort really. Australia need to fix their batting to compete (Captain Obvious agrees), but I guess we won't know until Brisbane whether anything we've seen froma couple of the guys in this match, and particularly Watson, is a sign of an improvement.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Fourth Test at The Oval
    By Spark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1214
    Last Post: 22-08-2011, 11:37 PM
  2. *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG
    By Craig in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3603
    Last Post: 15-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  3. *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3905
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 03:25 PM
  4. *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 2955
    Last Post: 28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
  5. ***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 1596
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •