• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Thats it though ain't it, we will never know.

Minus the 180 Root has 80 runs in 7 innings and looks out of his depth overall, wonder what the 1st wicket partnership average is for Cook/Root this series?, Compton in his short career along with Cook had been good at building a platform and seeing off the new ball, he would of went allright i reckon, he done allright in those 2 warm up matches against the Aussies remember.

His mind was shot in that home NZ series, thats what really failed him, not his technique, thats how Flower and co let him down in a bad way not freeing up his mind by giving him a boost by telling him he was playing v Oz, really woeful man management.

KP in that Flintoff interview not long ago said it how it is by saying more than once how confidence is the number 1 most important thing for a cricketer/sportsman, its huge, Comptons good enough but he wasn't backed up and was put under unessacary pressure which he crumbled under.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Compton looked less competent against the moving ball than Root has IMO.

Still, with England's emphasis on consistent selection it was a surprising move.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
would rest siddle and harris but that would mean playing faulkner so siddle has to play

Top_Cat

Bowl Harris until he's dead. He himself has said the reason he's been relatively resilient this series is because he had plenty of lead-up bowling. Rest him at The Oval and you increase the chance he'll be crocked for the return series.

Riggins

International Captain
backing bell to make runs this test. now that the series is over and there's no pressure the game's right in his wheelhouse.

Top_Cat

haha yes! Three live series Ashes tons and if he scores a 4th at The Oval, we can still have a go at him for being a downhill skier. Just crazy enough to work...

Riggins

International Captain
good tweet

"congratulations to england for winning the NAB cup, see you in december for the real thing. #ashes"

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If Watson is fit then Watson plays. ****. If not then Faulkner plays. Double ****. The selectors have shown that they think we need a 5th bowler so one if them will play.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's remarkable how people can watch how well Australia's seam attack has performed and just decide that removing 1/4 of it wouldn't matter.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If Watson is fit then Watson plays. ****. If not then Faulkner plays. Double ****. The selectors have shown that they think we need a 5th bowler so one if them will play.
Smitteh/Warner/Clarkeh can make up the extra overs if needed, doubt we'll be needing 4 seamers at the oval, but who knows what the selectors are thinking, you'd think they'd learn from last time...

Burgey

@ESPNcricinfo: "...The blokes have got to learn. If they don’t learn we will find blokes that will." - Darren Lehmann doesn't mince words. #Ashes

Says the bloke who has a young spinner take 7 fer in his last test in India having previously bowled poorly, before dropping him for a neophyte 19 year old then bringing him back and having him bowl well after all.

Boof presumably made that comment in between chortles with Warney as he listened to the commentary on Sky.

****. **** off.

theegyptian

Just doesn't look it to me I'll say anything I want in a definitive way, I enjoy it, and it annoys people, and that's always something I enjoy even more

Actually really think it would be a pisser to throw him in ahead of monty in a test, a man who has taken 160 odd test wickets and is brilliant at the Oval.
Can England even pick Monty tho? He's got away quite lightly in the press but pissing on a bouncer is pretty disgusting stuff. Not sure England can pick him after that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can England even pick Monty tho? He's got away quite lightly in the press but pissing on a bouncer is pretty disgusting stuff. Not sure England can pick him after that.
Nah that's bull****. Unless pissing on a bouncer suddenly makes him unable to land a delivery then it's got nothing to do with his career.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
@ESPNcricinfo: "...The blokes have got to learn. If they don’t learn we will find blokes that will." - Darren Lehmann doesn't mince words. #Ashes

Says the bloke who has a young spinner take 7 fer in his last test in India having previously bowled poorly, before dropping him for a neophyte 19 year old then bringing him back and having him bowl well after all.

Boof presumably made that comment in between chortles with Warney as he listened to the commentary on Sky.

****. **** off.
I'd believe Lehmann if Watson had been dropped after Lord's.

The Battlers Prince

I'll still be surprised to see England win I Australia. Seeing Australia win anywhere would be good though. If Australia keep choking England may win, but I don't think it will happen that way.