• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Read the Crucinfo article and they do let us know that Faulkner is tough, a fighter and competitive. I had assumed this was Boof or CA but Clarke is selling it hard enough for me to think it's what he wants also.

"As we've seen so far in this series, statistics, records, first-class performances haven't meant that much," Clarke said. "It's about finding a way on that day or over those five days to have success. I know James Faulkner has got the strength to do that whether it be with the bat or with the ball.

"Like a lot of our young players, he's a wonderful young talent. But I think he's got the toughness to mix it with any opposition in any form of the game at the highest level. He's a fighter. He's a competitor. He might not look the best all the time but he'll find a way to stay out there and help his partner go on and make a hundred, or make sure he's batting with the tail and find a way to get them through. I think he's got that in him.

"With the ball, he's extremely competitive and will find a way to take wickets, as he's done so far on this tour and in the shorter forms of the game. I think generally the better conditions are for batting, the better bowler James is, because he's at you all the time and he's extremely competitive. I think he's the right character for this team and I think you'll have a good opportunity to see just how much talent he's got in this Test match."

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can read from that is "he might look pretty ****, and not really have the skill of other players, or the natural ability to actually take wickets and make runs, and we might talk about him in a condescending manner...but he tries hard."

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England v Australia, 5th Investec Ashes Test, The Oval : James Faulkner ready for Test elevation | Cricket News | Australia in England - The Investec Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

"My dad is coming over. I always said that if I was ever going to play he'd be the first one I'd call and the first one I would get over," Faulkner said. "He didn't really say much on the end of the line when I told him but I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow morning.
Even Dad is stunned into silence by the selection. Ouch.

"I'd have picked Wade...."

/peterfalknerthoughts

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
thoroughly unimpressed with the inclusion of Faulkner, we now have 5 seamers on a bunsen and we are short of a batsmen

dermo

International Vice-Captain
when will faulkner bowl his first back of the hand slower ball?

[x] first ball
[] first over
[] second spell
[] after he's been hit for 100+ already
[] second innings
[] won't bowl cause he's a pure number 3

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
that slower ball will be handy if the pitch turns later actually, especially if he comes round the wicket to the right handers, Bell might finally chop on like I've been waiting for all series.

Riggins

International Captain
the team was in in the paper this morning, with hughes in and no faulkner

mum "what were you talking about, faulkner's not playing?"
me "nah, he is. cricket australia put the team on twitter"
mum " it must have been a fake twitter, why would they pick him anyway, he's crap."

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm hoping that Australia bat first tomorrow and don't lose more than four wickets, because it will ruin my day out at the Oval if I see Faulkner participate with bat or ball.
What a dramatic thing to say to a man on debut. I'm looking forward to seeing Faulkner completely outplay other good allrounders from the recent past last Gavin Hamilton and Jacques Kallis on their debuts.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
the team was in in the paper this morning, with hughes in and no faulkner

mum "what were you talking about, faulkner's not playing?"
me "nah, he is. cricket australia put the team on twitter"
mum " it must have been a fake twitter, why would they pick him anyway, he's crap."
or some troll like that guy after the Smith catch

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
The Aus left hand batters were complaining that the right handers didn't have to play Swann out of the rough as much. So they decided to pick 2 left arm bowlers to make it fair

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The Aus left hand batters were complaining that the right handers didn't have to play Swann out of the rough as much. So they decided to pick 2 left arm bowlers to make it fair
a lot of posters around here seem to think the footmarks suit Lyon more than Swann due to their bowling styles, really depends on who wins the toss I'd say

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its no coincidence that the right handed Faulkner was chosen to bat on debut ahead of the left handed Wade, Khawaja and Hughes. People don't bother to think about Swann's ability to take left handed wickets over right handed batsman though. Instead all the haterz look at Faulkner's career Shield record and say he is gash with the bat and somehow saying he can't bowl either.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
wickets on green tops don't count, it's too easy. also, you don't make runs on green tops, therefore you can't bat. *

*i still think faulkner is ****.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What little I have seen of Faulkner he looks a steady cricketer, then again so was Mark Ealham. Faulkner may be better but I doubt he is going to be a Miller is he?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Faulkner is neither good enough at test level or aiding team balance, can't see why he is in unless the selectors have given up on this tour

EDIT: Well maybe he will be good enough at test level but I'm not sure he has earned it