• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Hooksey

Banned
Full points to Michael Clarke for turning what England was doing it's best to make a boring draw, into a very exciting final day of test cricket to end the series.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've heard they were playing for the draw. Some effort given they nearly won inside four days play despite conceding 500 in the first dig.

Hooksey

Banned
England scores slowly in most tests. For the most part of the just completed series they scored at around 2.5 runs per over. To win doing that you need to be able to run through your opposition, or the game is heading for a draw most times.

wiff

First Class Debutant
I've heard they were playing for the draw. Some effort given they nearly won inside four days play despite conceding 500 in the first dig.
I agree, their tactic of batting slowly is good because you eliminate the possibly of losing. However, it also diminishes the possibility of winning, therefore making a draw the most likely. Of course, all three possibilities are still on the table, especially with Clarke as captain. I give the English credit for utilising an impetuous opponent. If I was Australian captain, I would have waited until there was 6 runs to win, then complained about the light, then get Forkers to change his boots, change the wicket keeper, bring in all the fielders, make sure they all have padding and helmets on, then decide to put them all on the boundry, then complained that the ball was wet. Get the ball checked, make a fielding substitute, then pretend that I had fainted. Get back to my feet after flopping around a bit, call for a drink. Remind the umpire about the light again. While still going for the win of course.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Nah, Mt Colah Mustangs. I'll take that as a no anyway. :p
Ahhh yeah, I've been living here for 10 years, so I'm not a local yet. Played my cricket at Campbelltown, where I got my nickname from the sound of willow missing ball.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
whatever the real tactics were, it was dire to watch from day 2 till day 5
I just don't understand the complaints. The majority of cricket used to be played like this and on tough wickets, a good chunk of batting is still like this.

Maybe it's an Australian thing - and that's not an insult. If I grew up feasting on the run rate of guys like Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting etc. then maybe I would have higher expectations of a player's strike rate. I, however, had to watch Chris Tavare.

This batting display was positively a joy to watch compared to some.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They saved a test after the opposition scored 500, and then they almost won it. That alone absolves criticism of their tactics. Add in the broader context of them being 3-0 up in the series, and the mind boggles...

Hooksey

Banned
They saved a test after the opposition scored 500, and then they almost won it. That alone absolves criticism of their tactics. Add in the broader context of them being 3-0 up in the series, and the mind boggles...
Cook & England made absolutely no attempt to play for a result for 4 and a half days. The only reason the final day became a contest was because Clarke was prepared to roll the dice by re-jigging his second innings batting order and sending them out to slog their way to a declaration enticing enough for England to have a go at.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cook & England made absolutely no attempt to play for a result for 4 and a half days.
They just decided that they'd let Watson and Smith notch up centuries right?

And it wasn't that they chose to respect good bowling from Harris and co, they just didn't want to win?

smh

This is the way you play test cricket. When you're behind, you fight hard to get in front.

Last edited: