• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot believe that Root got away with that lbw shout from Siddle

How many of those have we seen given this series that were much more marginal than that one?

Must be 10-15 with Twatto copping at lest 3 or 4 himself

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
But Cook got out driving a wide one. Sure making a conscious effort to up the gears was his mistake?
No not really. Flashing at a wide one is reckless, I'm not talking about recklessness, I'm talking about putting away a full toss or a half volley rather than patting it back down the ground. It's a thin line, yes, but one that is definitely distinct in my book.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not about wanting to be entertained. We've batted for 44 overs at a snail pace. Add two quick wickets onto the score and we are still 195 away from the follow on score. Your allowing Clarke to keep relatively attacking fields as he still has a 400 run lead to play with instead of 350. And then at tea it's going to be about 340 but it should be about 260.

I'm not saying we should be going after the Aussies here and chasing down their total at all. Absolutely lets get in a position where we won't lose, but at this pace you are always liable to a collapse and allow Australia back in the game.
The thing is you are forgetting that in our top 3 we have 2 guys out of form and a kid making his way in the game and everyone moaning that that kid shouldn't be opening and should be batting at 6. Is it any wonder the scoreboard isn't rattling along? Add in the Aussies have been disciplined again today and it all adds up. Well to some it does. This is arguably the best Root has looked all series as even in his big ton he should have been out early, give some credit where it is due.

Burgey

Oh do **** off. Not complained about any lack of intent,just said you shouldn't be blocking full tosses and find me where I say bowling 5 overs an hour is fine, you colostomy bag? I said Cook should be banned for a couple of ODIs.
Aww, poor flower.

You should be banned for a couple of the upcoming one dayers yourself. The joint would be richer for your enforced absence.

Daemon

Feel incredibly dirty but lunch came as a relief because it meant I could switch to watching Zimbabwe vs Pakistan :(

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know if you've noticed but you're 400 runs behind.
That doesn't mean there's no chance of a win. I understand why they're doing it, I do, but it just isn't what I'd like to see.

Also it's worth stating that we're not 200 after 100 overs here, it was nit-picking more than anything.

flibbertyjibber

Cannot believe that Root got away with that lbw shout from Siddle

How many of those have we seen given this series that were much more marginal than that one?

Must be 10-15 with Twatto copping at lest 3 or 4 himself
Wambulance thread is that way >

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I understand not being reckless but as the others have said full tosses and half trackers should be dispatched at this level.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I understand not being reckless but as the others have said full tosses and half trackers should be dispatched at this level.
England shut up shop on day 2 at Old Trafford and have done the same here

Anyone that thought they were going to be entertained by the English batsmen today is simply ignoring history

Burgey

Whilst that's true, it's also part of the learning process for a bloke like Root, who has curbed what's supposed to be a fairly attacking natural nature (this series is the first I've seen of him so I wouldn't know) and has kind of batted himself into a hole. If those balls were bowled to the more experienced players you'd expect them to be put away.

Having said that, in the medium to long term I think England's rate of scoring will be a problem for them, but it hasn't been this series because of the combination of their bowling so well and Australia batting badly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whilst that's true, it's also part of the learning process for a bloke like Root, who has curbed what's supposed to be a fairly attacking natural nature (this series is the first I've seen of him so I wouldn't know) and has kind of batted himself into a hole. If those balls were bowled to the more experienced players you'd expect them to be put away.

Having said that, in the medium to long term I think England's rate of scoring will be a problem for them, but it hasn't been this series because of the combination of their bowling so well and Australia batting badly.
Yeah, despite opening all his junior and First Class career, Root still very much has the technique of a middle order bat IMO. He tries to counteract this by having the temperament of an opener; he's really defensive early in his innings until it gets to a point where the ball is softer and the bowlers aren't as fresh. He definitely strikes me more as someone who sees getting through the new ball as a job to be done rather than someone who actually prefers the pace on the ball and enjoys facing it.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's not about wanting to be entertained. We've batted for 44 overs at a snail pace. Add two quick wickets onto the score and we are still 195 away from the follow on score. Your allowing Clarke to keep relatively attacking fields as he still has a 400 run lead to play with instead of 350. And then at tea it's going to be about 340 but it should be about 260.

I'm not saying we should be going after the Aussies here and chasing down their total at all. Absolutely lets get in a position where we won't lose, but at this pace you are always liable to a collapse and allow Australia back in the game.
Ok, let's say those 44 overs were batted at the entertaining rate of 3.5 an over. That makes the score 154/1. Couple of quick wickets and we're still 338 behind.

At this stage of the game not losing wickets is more important than scoring runs. England's tactics should be to bat until the end of day 4 and assess the situation there.

There's two ways England can win this match - get parity-ish with Australia and induce an Aussie collapse, a la Adelaide 06, or put 650-700 on the board and win by an innings. Scoring quicker runs at this stage of the game is unlikely to make much of a difference, whereas losing wickets will.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
The thing is you are forgetting that in our top 3 we have 2 guys out of form and a kid making his way in the game and everyone moaning that that kid shouldn't be opening and should be batting at 6. Is it any wonder the scoreboard isn't rattling along? Add in the Aussies have been disciplined again today and it all adds up. Well to some it does. This is arguably the best Root has looked all series as even in his big ton he should have been out early, give some credit where it is due.
Root is batting really well - no doubt about that.

Brings it back to though that England promoting Root has brought about this problem really. Or were we just blessed with Strauss as this problem has been apparent since he retired?

Burgey

Ok, let's say those 44 overs were batted at the entertaining rate of 3.5 an over. That makes the score 154/1. Couple of quick wickets and we're still 338 behind.

At this stage of the game not losing wickets is more important than scoring runs. England's tactics should be to bat until the end of day 4 and assess the situation there.

There's two ways England can win this match - get parity-ish with Australia and induce an Aussie collapse, a la Adelaide 06, or put 650-700 on the board and win by an innings. Scoring quicker runs at this stage of the game is unlikely to make much of a difference, whereas losing wickets will.
I don't think it's a recent phenomenon though. England's scoring rate has been among the slowest on tests for quite a while. Often it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does. Less so today than others. It becomes an issue when you're a test down or in a tight series and need a win. It hasn't much mattered this series though.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
England shut up shop on day 2 at Old Trafford and have done the same here

Anyone that thought they were going to be entertained by the English batsmen today is simply ignoring history
I'm hoping that the Saffer not yet batting entertains and they collapse around him.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain

Problem with this sort of debate is you can't judge loss of wickets. I would rather be 330/3 at the end of the day than 230/2. But we could easily be 230/8 or we could be 330 all out? Batting time does not equal no loss of wickets. What I'm trying to get out is we bat time, we still lose wickets, and we are just sort of stuck in a rut.

Daemon

I don't think it's a recent phenomenon though. England's scoring rate has been among the slowest on tests for quite a while. Often it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does. Less so today than others. It becomes an issue when you're a test down or in a tight series and need a win. It hasn't much mattered this series though.
Average Test Run Rate in last year

WI: 3.45
Ind: 3.35
Ban: 3.33
Aus: 3.32
SA: 3.29
SL: 3.23
NZ: 3.00
Zim: 2.84
Eng: 2.80
Pak: 2.72

Bangladesh is third though so it doesn't really say much. Reckon it'll go down by a bit if you take out Abul Hasan's innings :p