• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't agree with Uppercut on this one. We're nearly half way to the second new ball and we have 80 runs. Barely 2 an over isn't good enough in this circumstance if we have any pretense whatsoever of winning this game.
So much of that has to do with Clarke's field placings. Lost count of how often a batsman times the pants off it straight to a fielder.

And we're playing the long game here. Crease occupation and a good stack of runs will do Root the world of good.

And when the opposition's put 500 on you in the 1st dig, your first concern is not losing the match. You can think about the win if the match situation dictates later on, but not at this stage.

King Pietersen

International Captain
It's a team approach, not just having a pop at Root. It's so negative and we are creating problems for ourselves.

It seems our first approach is to not lose before we think about winning. Just don't like Cook as a captain TBH.
We're 3-0 up in the series. We're doing okay.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Why does it matter? Root's 49*, and doing his job perfectly. Australia have bowled pretty well, and we've only lost 1 wicket, stop moaning.
If I have to watch your lot scoring runs I'd at least like some entertainment. Need a wicket to get KP in for that. I'll grant you its not the worst batting I have seen. That would be SA in Sydney when they were 2-160 (at stumps) or something ridiculous the 1 time I ever convinced my Dad to go. He hasnt been to a live game since.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a team approach, not just having a pop at Root. It's so negative and we are creating problems for ourselves.

It seems our first approach is to not lose before we think about winning. Just don't like Cook as a captain TBH.
We are 3-0 up after winning 2-0 in the earlier series this summer and you are still moaning. Get some perspective or find another sport.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
We are 3-0 up after winning 2-0 in the earlier series this summer and you are still moaning. Get some perspective or find another sport.
Perspective being I want us to be the best we can, and I think we can be better and dominating other teams. We have the skills and players to do that. It's Sport, not everyone has to tow the party line.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And thirdly, take out Watson smashing a few Kerrigan pies on the first morning and Australia setting up the declaration yesterday evening and Australia batted about this quickly. It's a slow pitch and timing your drives has proven to be very difficult.

flibbertyjibber

Perspective being I want us to be the best we can, and I think we can be better and dominating other teams. We have the skills and players to do that. It's Sport, not everyone has to tow the party line.
It is sport and sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition instead of moaning about your own lot not doing what you want them to do despite the fact they are 3-0 up anyway.

Uppercut

It's absolute nonsense to criticise a team for scoring too slowly whilst successfully covering their arses after the opposition put up 500d. If you want to be entertained, just say you want to be entertained. Don't try to pretend it's a good move for the team.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not asking for recklessness. Tbh there is nothing wrong with Root's pacing if he now pushes on and takes advantage of the older ball. What is frustrating (only in this circumstance of Australia piling on a huge score, when rain is threatening to curtail the game, might I add) is an innings like Cook's where he does the hard work but makes no conscious effort at all to up the gears a bit (sorry Dan), then gets out. It isn't a big thing, but it is something I feel would be useful in this situation.

Burgey

Spent the whole of yesterday crying about the English rate, Swann didn't bowl until nearly the end of the day.
Lol 91JMay. Complains about lack of atracking intent by England, yet thinks bowling 5 overs in half an hour, an two of them by an offie, is perfectly fine.

Burgey

It's absolute nonsense to criticise a team for scoring too slowly whilst successfully covering their arses after the opposition put up 500d. If you want to be entertained, just say you want to be entertained. Don't try to pretend it's a good move for the team.
They haven't successfully covered their arses yet by any stretch though. England has batted very slowly all series tbh, in fact has done for about 18 months or more.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's not about wanting to be entertained. We've batted for 44 overs at a snail pace. Add two quick wickets onto the score and we are still 195 away from the follow on score. Your allowing Clarke to keep relatively attacking fields as he still has a 400 run lead to play with instead of 350. And then at tea it's going to be about 340 but it should be about 260.

I'm not saying we should be going after the Aussies here and chasing down their total at all. Absolutely lets get in a position where we won't lose, but at this pace you are always liable to a collapse and allow Australia back in the game.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I'd just rather win than draw tbh. And in a dead rubber I don't mind losing when going for the win.

Uppercut

What is frustrating (only in this circumstance of Australia piling on a huge score, when rain is threatening to curtail the game, might I add) is an innings like Cook's where he does the hard work but makes no conscious effort at all to up the gears a bit (sorry Dan), then gets out.
But Cook got out driving a wide one. Sure making a conscious effort to up the gears was his mistake?

91Jmay

International Coach
Lol 91JMay. Complains about lack of atracking intent by England, yet thinks bowling 5 overs in half an hour, an two of them by an offie, is perfectly fine.
Oh do **** off. Not complained about any lack of intent,just said you shouldn't be blocking full tosses and find me where I say bowling 5 overs an hour is fine, you colostomy bag? I said Cook should be banned for a couple of ODIs.