• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The series in England has given a good indication of where Australia are at. We are very capable of matching England, particularly when we get our batting selections sorted and in the right order. I'd say the following spots are locked...

- Rogers
-
-
- Clarke
- Smith
- Watson (if fit and able to bowl)
-
- Siddle
- Pattinson/Starc/Bird/Cummins
- Harris (if he maintains his fitness)
- Lyon

I'd reckon Warner is our best bet to partner Rogers opening. Good contrasting styles.

Could go either way on Haddin, opportunity to try Paine, Hartley or Nevill, but Haddin's been ok.

Khawaja needs to do something significant, but I think he deserves his spot at #3 for a whole series.

If Watson can't play/bowl, not sure whether it'd be better to select a pure batsman or an AR like McDonald or Henriques.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Rogers
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Pattinson
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Who bats 3 is anyones guess, Khawaja is currently making a hash of it, wouldn't suprise to see Hughes back in the team playing there, and fail again and someone else (Cowan) come in mid series for him again.

If Pattinson is not fit its no great loss as Australia have plenty in reserve, Twatto won't get dropped, he'll be there.

Can't see many changes from this team/squad, it will be also be interesting to see what the England team lining up in the 1st test is going to be, there really should be some changes in the batting order and probably Tremlett starting.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Siddle should be #10 in both of those line-ups. No way he's a better bat than Pattinson(Starc) or Harris. Useful #10 to have though.

Red

Think Rogers and Warner are set as openers. Should be kept for all the tests against England.

Number 3 is the main problem. Keen to see someone settled in that spot. Probably has to be Khawaja or Hughes. Hard to expect a young batsman like Doolan etc come in and bat at #3. Should be given time at 5 or 6 first. I'd love to see Khawaja own it because I love his technique and style, but he must make big scores.

Of course I'd prefer most of all to see Cossy at #3, but I doubt it'll happen. He'd strengthen us no end though.

Red

- Rogers
- Warner
- Cosgrove
- Clarke
- Smith
- Doolan/Maddinson/S.Marsh
- Haddin
- Pattinson/Cummins
- Harris
- Siddle
- Lyon

I'd really like to see this for the home summer if Watson is injured. We need to consolidate the batting.

Red

Yeh, probably. Kind of think it's a gamble we need to take at the moment though. Need to be able to rely on our four main bowlers to make our batting stronger, That's my opinion anyway.

Smith capable of bowling a few overs, as are Warner and The Big Man.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
watson has timed his injury hilariously well
I was on the phone with my dad when it happened and we both laughed and said it was a plan to remain in the side for the home ashes. If everyone is thinking it then it shows what people think of him.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Rogers, Clarke and Smith are locks for the batting. We need an opener, a 3 and a 4 by my count.

Haddin has to keep or your throwing a debutant keeper (not Wade) into the highest profile series we have. Make it Haddins swan song and promote a keeper after but make sure they can actually catch.

Harris, Siddle and Lyon locks with Patto, Bird and Starc up for the 3rd spot based on form/fitness.

Rogers
Hughes - yes opening
Uzi - home pitches will suit him better
Maddinson/Burns/Cosgrove - roll a dice
Clarke - class, must be protected at 5
Smith
Haddin
Harris
Patto/Bird/Starc
Siddle
Lyon

King Pietersen

International Captain
Rogers
Warner
Hughes
Twatto
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Harris
Bird/Pattinson (Depending on Pattinson's health, how likely is he to be fit? Stress fractures normally take a while to heal!)
Siddle
Lyon

So basically, Khawaja out, Hughes back in, with Twatto batting 4 to allow Clarke to bat 5. Looks pretty strong to me.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can someone please explain to me what the obsession with Phil Hughes is?

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's been harshly treated this time round - moved up and down the order and then dropped two tests after making a score. But to me he just looks like someone who is never going to make the grade at test level. How many more times does he need to fail before you give up on him?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can someone please explain to me what the obsession with Phil Hughes is?

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's been harshly treated this time round - moved up and down the order and then dropped two tests after making a score. But to me he just looks like someone who is never going to make the grade at test level. How many more times does he need to fail before you give up on him?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Column headers?

He has scored a lot of tons for someone his age. And when he tons us he does go big. Which wins games. If we had a ton (ha) of young talent scoring runs he wouldnt keep coming up but we dont.