• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

uvelocity

International Coach
cant believe maddinson is being talked up after what 2 innings or so. couldnt buy a run all last season

Ruckus

International Captain
Not sure why Watson would be anything other than 3 given what's just happened, Warner will probably be more comfortable opening in Australia too. For me, Clarke and Smith stay up and 4 and 5, while umber six goes to whoever is piling it on in the SS, that could be Hughes, but whoever it is bats 6, we can't throw another young batsman straight into the top order again IMO.
I just think Watson is better suited as an opener. Whether he scores more runs now shouldn't be dependent on whether he is opening or at 3 - he more often than not sees of the new ball anyway, but his problem has obv been making big scores. So hopefully he has turned a corner in that regard. I think Warner at 3 is a better fit at this stage. I like having a right/left combo opening, plus I feel we could get more out of him coming in against a slightly older ball, where he would be less likely to nick off playing his shots. I don't see why someone like Hughes couldn't be a 4 - it's really the ideal spot for him. Protected as much as he can against the new ball, whilst not having to face spin that early either (not that it's going to be much of an issue in Aus though).

Hooksey

Banned
If Maddinson continues to pile up runs early in the season, then he should be in the team as he is our best young batsman and hasn't been scarred by losses against England
Nic Maddinson hasn't done his chances any harm with his recent performances in South Africa. He would appear to be next cab off the rank of the young batsmen, and I'd like to see Maddinson come into the line-up as high in the batting order as possible. But for now Warner, Rogers and Watson are locks, and Clarke now seems happy at 4 after preferring lower slots for a while.

Last edited:

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
On the Bouncy wickets with the ball coming on to the bat.

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Maddinson
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Harris (if Healthy)
9. Pattinson (if Healthy
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

12. Starc (fist man in for either Harris or Pattinson)
13. Cummins
14. Cosgrove
15. Hughes
16. Ahmed
17. Maxwell

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Maddinson
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Harris (if Healthy)
9. Pattinson (if Healthy
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

13. Cummins
14. Cosgrove
15. Hughes
16. Ahmed
17. Maxwell
Mate, 2 things
1. Maxwell is useless
2. Aaron Finch is Australia's premiere long form spin-bowling all-rounder

Hooksey

Banned

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Maddinson
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Harris (if Healthy)
9. Pattinson (if Healthy
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

13. Cummins
14. Cosgrove
15. Hughes
16. Ahmed
17. Maxwell
I see things very much as you do here. Our only difference is Starc or Pattinson, and on reflection I'd take a fit and firing Pattinson over Starc, and Cummins is broken again.

Last edited:

Hooksey

Banned
We are very light on for young batsmen kicking the door down for what appears to be the vacant position in our batting order. The players listed below scored more than 300 runs in the Shield competition last season, and are listed in order of batting average:

Moises Henriques - 385 runs at 77.0 - 26 year old allrounder - Has played 6 Tests and his bowling in particular has fallen short of the mark.
Ricky Ponting - 911 runs at 75.91 - Well and truly retired. No more 'bring back Ricky' please!
Jordan Silk - 347 runs at 57.83 - 21 year old in his first season.
Phil Hughes - 673 runs at 56.08 - On tour and perhaps now out of Boof's plans?
Brad Haddin - 462 runs at 52.00 - Recalled to the team, but nearly 36 years old.
Chris Rogers - 742 runs at 49.46 - In the team and top of his form but he's nearly 36 years old.
Alex Doolan - 715 runs at 42.05 - 27 years old and approaching his 6th season. Has only 5 first class 100's and average of 37.85.
Callum Ferguson - 639 runs at 39.93 - Nearly 29 years old and approaching his 10th season. Has only 8 first class 100's and average of 36.05.
Usman Khawaja - 438 runs at 39.81 - Performed poorly on tour and out of Boof's plans by the look of things.
Mark Cosgrove - 784 runs at 39.20 - 29 years old and an overweight enigma. Could Boof create a Test player out of him?

Further down the averages are players such as:
Ben Cutting - 26 year old allrounder who doesn't average much with the bat.
Mike Hussey - retired.
Cameron White - forget it.
Michael Hogan - 32 years old.
Nic Mattinson - 21 year old coming into his 4th season - see further comments below.
Trent Copeland - 27 year old bowling allrounder with first class batting average of 22. Has played 3 Tests.
James Faulkner - 23 year old allrounder who make a fairly impressive test debut but may get squeezed out in the home series.
Joe Burns - 587 runs at 32.62 - Nearly 24 year old averages just under 40 in first class matches with 5 first class100's.

In summary, if a guy like Nic Mattinson were to start the season with a couple of 100's, particularly after his successful tour of South Africa where he scored 3 half centuries and a 41 in his 5 innings, he'd be knocking on the door for a Test debut. Glen Maxwell is also one of the few putting up his hand after the South African tour having scored 2 big 100's and a 93.

In short the welcome mat for a Test debut is out for any batsmen showing early season form.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Michael Hogan being 32 is the least of his problems if you are talking about him as a batsman, worlds best no.11 batsman only I'm afraid

Hooksey

Banned
I think Michael Hogan being 32 is the least of his problems if you are talking about him as a batsman, worlds best no.11 batsman only I'm afraid
Someone has to bat there. Might as well be the world's best :D

On a serious note though, the up and coming young batting talent is pretty light on.

Last edited:

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
Would say that 6 of the top 7 are locked in now for Brisbane. Rogers, Warner, Watson, Clarke, Smith and Haddin. Harris will obviously play if fit as will Siddle and Lyon should too. So basically just a number 6 and the 3rd paceman to pick. Pattinson if fit would be my choice but not got a clue who i'd choose as 6th batsman.
Well said with regard to Lyon, he should play not necessarily he will play.Selectors picked Agar ahead of him and Ahmed is better than Agar so there is still an outside chance Ahmed might be picked ahead of Lyon.Harris Pattinson and Siddle should make up our seam attack anyone who say they are too similiar doesn"t have clue.Lyon should be the spinner.Hughes is my 6th bat with Maddinson and Khawaja in the wings.

Hooksey

Banned
Michael Hogan's batting figures last season make for interesting reading and are the reason he found his way into the list in my earlier post:

16 Innings
10 NO
213 runs
Highest 47*
Ave 35.50

Hooksey

Banned
It will be interesting to see whether the selectors give Pakistani born spinner Fawad Ahmed an opportunity in the upcoming series. He's 31, so it's not like he's a kid they are waiting on to mature like say Agar.

National selector John Inverarity had this to say a couple of weeks ago:

"He would be in contention. We'll see how he goes. He played in some Shield matches [for Victoria] at the end of the last Australian summer, bowled well and took wickets, so we're just keen to see how he goes at international level. He and a number of other spinners will be contention as well."

For mine Lyon has to start ahead of Ahmed as his form in England was a pass mark. But I think Boof might encourage some experimentation at selection, and players like Ahmed and Maddinson could be beneficiaries.