• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Do you guys think that if we have

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith

all going ok at 1-5 (plus Haddin contributing at 7), it'd be a decent idea to bring in a younger batsman like Doolan or Burns or someone at #6?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well Doolan is three years older than Hughes and Burns is less than a year younger so I don't really quite get that.

Not that I think Australia should be selecting based on age anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do you guys think that if we have

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith

all going ok at 1-5 (plus Haddin contributing at 7), it'd be a decent idea to bring in a younger batsman like Doolan or Burns or someone at #6?
If Doolan or Burns are smashing thousands of runs in the Shield, then sure.

But the last thing Australia should be looking to do after the last 2-3 years is throwing random youngsters into the side.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Doolan and Burns are good batsmen, but both have been inconsistent of late, they have the ability to score hundreds, and bat for long periods in tough conditions, but international bowlers may find them out. Burns hasn't been all that great in CC and Doolan struggled at times on the recent A tours, neither are ready IMO.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
if we had to choose someone now i'd probably pick Maddinson or Bailey leaning towards Maddinson, though really it should be someone who is scoring runs in shield cricket at the time

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the BBL was going on during the home ashes. When's the SS supposed to start?

Spikey

the fixtures aren't out yet, but the BBL wont start until after the 3rd test. There'll be plenty of shield games on. Maybe 3 rounds (+ tour games) before the first test

Daemon

the fixtures aren't out yet, but the BBL wont start until after the 3rd test. There'll be plenty of shield games on. Maybe 3 rounds (+ tour games) before the first test
So the season will be split into two with the BBL in between?

Spikey

There'll be 4 parts really:

OD tournament (September)
Shield games (October to Mid December)
T20 (Mid December to Mid February - double booking of 'prime' matchslots has led to the BBL pushing deeper into February. Usually It'll be mid December to Janurary-early Feb)
Shield games start up again

First Ashes test is Nov 21

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia's ODI players will struggle to get much meaningful Shield cricket in seeing as there's a 7 match ODI series to play in India.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia's ODI players will struggle to get much meaningful Shield cricket in seeing as there's a 7 match ODI series to play in India.
I imagne the real prospects will be shipped out before November on that tour, the Maxwell's, Finch's and Marsh's can have all the fun they like there until the end of the tour though

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well Doolan is three years older than Hughes and Burns is less than a year younger so I don't really quite get that.

Not that I think Australia should be selecting based on age anyway.
I don't think we should select based on age either, but it might as well be a factor if all other things are equally ****e.

I'm not a fan of Hughes unless he opens. Even then I'm not a big fan. I can only see a spot for Hughes if Warner isn't playing. I'd much prefer Warner to Hughes.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Maddinson continues to pile up runs early in the season, then he should be in the team as he is our best young batsman and hasn't been scarred by losses against England

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
First test I'd like to see a top order of:

Watson
Rogers
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Not sure why Watson would be anything other than 3 given what's just happened, Warner will probably be more comfortable opening in Australia too. For me, Clarke and Smith stay up and 4 and 5, while umber six goes to whoever is piling it on in the SS, that could be Hughes, but whoever it is bats 6, we can't throw another young batsman straight into the top order again IMO.