• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Bird and Patto back in the nets, Bird a possibility for Adelaide and Pattinson targeting a Perth comeback

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Bird get a SS match in I hope if he wants a game in Adelaide. Not because he doesn't deserve it, but because it's Adelaide and I want him firing for a place like that.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope he doesn't play in Adelaide, but I guess at least he'll be around if Johnson goes for 0/120 or something, hopefully both Patto and Bird will be firing for Perth putting healthy pressure on the others with an SS game up their sleeves

Tangles

So MJ probably gets 2 tests then unless he, and probably the team, crash hard 1st up. I want us to win but doing so will book MJs ticket till Perth. Plus the odds of him getting dropped for his "best" venue is slim. I'm going to bet a win at the Gabba and MJ figures of 0/250 don't get him benched because they buy into the scary MJ bull****.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest. I'll be supporting the possibility of an Australian victory over the failures of Johnson. Regardless of whether he books a ticket, we need a win and if Johnson, by some miracle, plays a pivotal role in that happening so be it.

adub

International Captain
To be honest. I'll be supporting the possibility of an Australian victory over the failures of Johnson. Regardless of whether he books a ticket, we need a win and if Johnson, by some miracle, plays a pivotal role in that happening so be it.
Same, I'd be delighted to be wrong and for MJ to win us a series. I hate losing to Poms far far more than I hate the myth of Mitch. But if fate has a loss or even a draw in store for us I hope Johnson burns in a screaming ****ing heap so embarrassing that Spofforth has more chance of a recall. Johnson performing creditably and us losing anyway would be the worst of all possible results. He has to play a big part in wins or **** the hell off.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Same, I'd be delighted to be wrong and for MJ to win us a series. I hate losing to Poms far far more than I hate the myth of Mitch. But if fate has a loss or even a draw in store for us I hope Johnson burns in a screaming ****ing heap so embarrassing that Spofforth has more chance of a recall. Johnson performing creditably and us losing anyway would be the worst of all possible results. He has to play a big part in wins or **** the hell off.
Indeed. Johnson performing well and an us losing would be the absolute worst outcome.

I agree with most though. His recall makes me furious and is something that I had thought was put to bed for good. But we're more likely to fail on the back of repeat batting collapses than a couple wayward spells (Presuming he doesn't have match figures of 3-350 or something)

the big bambino

International Captain
Given our injuries its understandable picking Johnson. At least selection will hopefully settle his future one or the other.

Tangles

I'm all about us wining over Mitch failing. Im just massively concerned that MJs normal output isn't good enough to help us do that. Plus his being wayward makes it harder for Harris and Siddle. Not hitting the seam and messing up shine is a contributing factor also. He doesn't fit what we need so let's hope we survive his inclusion.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, bowling beautifully, but I believe he lives there permanently now, which is why he stopped playing here, and CA has said in the past that unless you play in the SS you ca't be picked for tests - at least that was their attitude when Warne suddenly stuck his hand up again

adub

International Captain
True enough. If we do lose it's far more likely because we lose 7/28 in a session than one bowler having an off day - it's been the way we've rolled for so long now. It's just that there is so little upside benefit to Johnson's selection. The **** takes 4/125 for the match (which is about his average) and we've gained what exactly? We either drop him as soon as Patto/Bird/Starc/Cumins are fit or we look to replace him two years time when he's retiring anyway. Forkers takes 4/125 for the match (which would be a below average return for him) and a young guy who could be an important part of our set up for a decade gets a bit more experience. His selection makes no sense if he's there to pick up a couple of wickets @ 30 each innings supporting Harris and Siddle. His selection only makes sense if he's there to win games as a main strike weapon. Maybe he will do that for us, but my money's on the shorter odds bet.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
If he plays, you can be sure he'll play a huge part in victory.

80% likely England's

Waxhead

Cricket Spectator
So MJ probably gets 2 tests then unless he, and probably the team, crash hard 1st up. I want us to win but doing so will book MJs ticket till Perth. Plus the odds of him getting dropped for his "best" venue is slim. I'm going to bet a win at the Gabba and MJ figures of 0/250 don't get him benched because they buy into the scary MJ bull****.
I'd rather have the Queen Mum bowling for Aust than M Johnson.
He's a sad joke imo.
Such is the demise of Australian Cricket the past 10 years he wouldn't even have made a Sheffield Shield team here 10 yrs ago.
There's a few Aussie Test bstsman I'd say that about too :)

Last edited: